Runt/Growth/Appetite ?

speng5

Runt/Growth/Appetite ?

Post by speng5 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

My male Chessie is the runt of his litter. He has the most lackluster appetite I’ve ever seen in a dog. Vet has never thought much of it but suggested I add wet food to his kibble (the “gravy-er” the better), cottage cheese, meat juice etc. That helps some, but I still have to stand by him and encourage him to eat. Stroke him, give some “good boy”s and what not. If I don’t, he will just take a few bites and walk away.

He is very high drive, has never quit on me once, and does absolutely everything at formula one speed.

His parents were both monsters, and I wanted a bigger one to handle geese and ice. He is hovering around 80lbs exactly (some days less) and he is almost 14 months. He was about 60 lbs at 6 months. His growth is about as far from linear as you could imagine. Goes in spurts. Sometimes he gets tall fast but not heavy, other times it looks like he’s filling out a bit more but not getting taller or leggier.

Anyone have any experience with how these bay dogs grow (or in my case, don’t)? Wondering what kind of size I can expect or if they grow well into their second year. Vet has recommended due to joints etc I feed puppy food or at least a mix including it until 18-20 months which I have been doing. Just curious what to expect.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Runt/Growth/Appetite ?

Post by shags » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Isn't 80# about right for a chessie?

Dogs grow in spurts, but at 14 months yours probably has reached almost all of his height but might fill out some. I would rather a dog be a little lean than fat.

It sounds to me like you're playing a game with his meals. Set them down, give him 5-10 minutes to eat, then take up the pan until tomorrow. Missing a meal won't hurt him, and getting hungry does wonders for appetites. Be aware that he might be self-regulating and you shouldn't be trying to get him to eat more than he wants, just because you want a big dog.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 pm

He's 80 lbs. How much bigger do you want him? Geese aren't THAT big.

My GWP is 74 and I get remarks how big he is because he's leggy and the fur makes him look bulkier. People that feel him comment about him being too skinny but most of them don't know what they're talking about. I don't have the charts but it seems like he was on the small size for a long time, grew a bit and filled in a little in the first six months of his first year.

He was the smallest pup in the litter.

He isn't a voracious eater, except on hunting trips.

When I have fosters in that are on food restrictions, I have to sit there and tell him to eat since he can't leave the food down since it will get eaten by a dog that's on a diet.

I free feed most of the time, for a handful of reasons not really related to his weight but because many said fosters come in underweight and it also prevents resource guarding fights.

I might just generally allow access to as much food as you want since he isn't the type to get obese.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 am

I agree with Shags. I get all manner of dogs here with all manner of eating habits. They ALL fall in line soon enough - the most difficult taking an average of 3 days.
Free feeding is something I have never done. I need to know that my dogs are fueled for performance. I need to know when they last ate. I need to know they have "processed it" on a timey basis and I can readily notice/inspect for variances. I need to keep my place/places where they run clean ( I know when they will air out, approx.) and pick up right away.
I can see the results of their diet - know the intake/volume - determine performance - adjust accordingly - based on temperature, the rigors of working around here which admittedly can be a change from home life, etc. And....it all just happens, like clockwork without being a huge transition to the dogs (once accustomed).
For folks trying to house-break their pups, free feeding is the absolute worst thing you can do to a pup, for obvious reasons but I digress.
When I was competing, I had to fuel up my dogs just right or how could I expect the performance I was accustomed to? I kept it simple and like I said, it just worked.
I could have your dog eating all his kibble in 3 days MAX. Oh, and no cheese, etc. either unless he does something for it, of course. I would do exactly what Shags suggested.
Dogs can't go without eating anymore than you can hold your breath indeterminately. ...just can't be done (assuming he is otherwise healthy).