Pigeons cohabiting with game birds, same pen

Scott Linden

Pigeons cohabiting with game birds, same pen

Post by Scott Linden » Tue May 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Howdy,

Anyone have experience housing pigeons and quail or chukar in the same pen? Did you introduce the game birds as chicks?

Thanks,
Scott

deseeker

Re: Pigeons cohabiting with game birds, same pen

Post by deseeker » Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 pm

I keep my pigeons and quail in the same pen and don't have any problems with them dieing or getting sick. I just can't put my bobs up and let the pigeons free fly or I'll have some of my quail escape. I'll load my pigeons up in the truck and drive them away from my house and let them fly back home and go thru the bobs if I think they need some distance flying. I'll usually only get about 2 weeks worth of quail at a time & then skip a week of getting more quail, so I can free fly the pigeons with the bobs up during the week I don't have any quail. I never get any quail younger than 7 weeks old, so I don't know how younger quail would be with the pigeons. I have never had any chukar in with the pigeons, so I don't know how that would work out.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks Deseeker.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am

I know a trainer that throws his excess chukar in his pigeon pen with no problems.

bamanicksbd

Post by bamanicksbd » Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 am

Just my .02 but unless you are very careful and very certain about where your pigeons come from youre asking for potential trouble. Pigeons are well known for carrying diseases and could easily spread things to the game birds. If youre gonna shoot whatever you put out not a biggie but if you liberate game birds that could potentially contact wild birds or their habitat before they expire I wouldnt house them with pigeons.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am

As a pigeon fancier I'll tell you that you have it backwards. You're more likely to make your pigeons sick or kill them. No way I would put pigeons in with game birds especially quail. There's not much dirtier than a quail.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:18 pm

What state are you in? It might be illegal..

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 08, 2019 9:04 pm

It's plenty legal, in fact you can even train with your own game birds or those bought from others here in Oregon - I know, helped re-write the law on that one. And my pigeons are eight generations or more removed from racing stock but thanks for the warning about disease, guys.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu May 09, 2019 4:38 am

oldbeek wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am
I know a trainer that throws his excess chukar in his pigeon pen with no problems.
+1 Did it myself for years Chukars. pheasants, pigeons no problemo. I had two rooms in my birds barn one side for pigeons and the other side for game birds. But there were times when it became necessary to co habitat. Due to numbers and buying habits. Did it for years, some 35 to be exact!
Hal

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu May 09, 2019 9:28 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am
As a pigeon fancier I'll tell you that you have it backwards. You're more likely to make your pigeons sick or kill them. No way I would put pigeons in with game birds especially quail. There's not much dirtier than a quail.
I was thinking the same "bleep" thing. I don't want to introduce disease to the pigeons.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Just curious, those who fear disease transmission from game birds ... they would be purchased from a game bird breeder who meets all requirements for managing NPIP and other pathogens, etc. So, what disease would a commercially-raised game bird be carrying?

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon May 13, 2019 5:34 am

If you are keeping homers it's in your best interest to quarantine for 7 days any bird you add to your coop. Otherwise, you are playing the odds without appreciation of the stakes.

I lost all 18 fledglings in the months following storing 2 unused shooter pigeons and a chukar in my coop after a NAVHDA training day. Three, 3 week courses of antibiotics and perhaps the cold weather finally knocked it out. Now I use a cheap plastic dog crate to keep foreign birds, I'll build a second coop in a few weeks.

YMMV

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am

If you are keeping homers it's in your best interest to quarantine for 7 days any bird you add to your coop. Otherwise, you are playing the odds without appreciation of the stakes.

I lost all 18 fledglings in the months following storing 2 unused shooter pigeons and a chukar in my coop after a NAVHDA training day. Three, 3 week courses of antibiotics and perhaps the cold weather finally knocked it out. Now I use a cheap plastic dog crate to keep foreign birds, I'll build a second coop in a few weeks.

YMMV

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon May 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks Urban. Good advice.