Brittany vs Springer

kullboys

Brittany vs Springer

Post by kullboys » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 pm

I don't have any personal experience with either of these breeds; but from what I have read, these dogs seem very similar to one another. The only real difference I noticed was that a Brit is more of a pointer, while the Springer is more of a flusher. I might be splitting hairs, but does anyone with personal experience notice any differences between the two?
Thanks.

mnaj_springer

Re: Brittany vs Springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am

Kullboys, first, welcome to forum! Please take some time to also introduce yourself in the “A little about you..” thread under new members when you get a chance!

I’m sure a lot of people can give you more detailed descriptions of each breed, but the similarities between those two breeds are mainly in appearance. General size and look. But you will see difference in their proportions and build.

As far as hunting styles, the pointer/flusher distinction is big. Springers should also be hunting in gun range to ensure the gunner is presented a shot at the flush. They tend to quarter back and forth across the field while hunting. Also, many springers are very strong retrievers.

Brittanys, although not as big running as some Pointers, can and will hunt past gun range because they should hold point until the gunner is in range and/or in position to shoot. They generally are not as strong of a retriever as a springer, but better than some other pointers. Also, to muddy it even more, there is the American Brittany and the French Brittany.

My personal observation of the few Brittanys I’ve seen is that they are softer dogs. The springers I’ve seen varied more from soft to very hard headed.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:16 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Kullboys, first, welcome to forum! Please take some time to also introduce yourself in the “A little about you..” thread under new members when you get a chance!

I’m sure a lot of people can give you more detailed descriptions of each breed, but the similarities between those two breeds are mainly in appearance. General size and look. But you will see difference in their proportions and build.

As far as hunting styles, the pointer/flusher distinction is big. Springers should also be hunting in gun range to ensure the gunner is presented a shot at the flush. They tend to quarter back and forth across the field while hunting. Also, many springers are very strong retrievers.

Brittanys, although not as big running as some Pointers, can and will hunt past gun range because they should hold point until the gunner is in range and/or in position to shoot. They generally are not as strong of a retriever as a springer, but better than some other pointers. Also, to muddy it even more, there is the American Brittany and the French Brittany.

My personal observation of the few Brittanys I’ve seen is that they are softer dogs. The springers I’ve seen varied more from soft to very hard headed.
The difference between the two breeds is striking. Other than sometimes a close proximity in size the two breeds are not the same. They each have a place but that would boil down to the owners preferences. Pointing dog or Flushing dog. I have owned and trained both to high standards yet i will always be a flushing dog guy. That is my preference.
Hal

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 am

Hal,

I definitely agree. My comment about their appearance was more to do with that general "spaniel" look. But I agree the similarities start and stop there.

I know in the past you've posted videos of spaniels working on GDF. Maybe if you had a video of a springer working a field, and a video of a Brittany working a field, and you posted both (or even one) it may help the OP see what we're talking about as far as hunting style.

Thanks

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum.

Ones a flusher and ones a pointer. Not only is the difference between the breeds striking, the difference between individuals is even more so.

You cannot generalize one breed as soft, hard headed, lacks retrieve, excellent retrieve, good nose, not so good nose, close ranging...one could go on forever. The difference in temperament and ability, of an individual dog, within each respective breed is vast.

There are four bird dogs in my kennel, one can retrieve with most labs, one couldn't care less, one I've never put an ecollar on, one needed level 6 on the TT to break him from deer, one has a long range nose, one has a hard time smelling a steak 5 feet upwind from him.

They're all the same breed, from fairly similar breeding.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Mnaj basically summed it up best, I feel. I too have worked with both but not to the competitive extent with springers as Gundogguy.
Both breeds can be applied in a similar fashion regarding hunting applications. Personally, I prefer pointing breeds on most of MY wild bird hunting forays. I would prefer a springer on ditch parrots or early season waterfowling.
You also need to consider your shooting preferences. Gunning over a pointing breed requires a slightly diverse skill set than gunning over a well-trained flusher, on occasion (taking into account species/habitat).

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:58 pm

My 2 cents.
Brits tend to be better open country prairie bird hunters. Sharpies,sage grouse, huns and chukars. Springers are more adept at thick cover pheasants and waterfowl hunting. Both breeds hunt forest grouse and quail equally well, although I'd give the advantage to springers on quail runners like Valley, Gambels and Scalies . Springers are also have a higher retrieve instinct, are more heavily framed and tend to be more forgiving of heavier handed training technique. These are just generalization and my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm

fishvik, I couldn't agree with you more! We did have enviable success with a friend's Lab just yesterday on Gambels. It would appear the coveys were running their usual escape strategy then dispersed up nearby slopes on either side of the draw. We then found a series of about 8 individual birds that we literally almost stepped on! The springer would have been ideal in the early going then a pointer would have nailed those singles. It was a lot of fun for sure. My son and I took a total of 2 Gambels - 1 each. Got to leave seed. :wink:
There's no doubt, desert birds would rather run than fly! In this case, flushers rule!

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

They removed spaniel from the Brittany name a good while back now. For good reason. These dogs are completely different, whether it be in the field or in the home. I for one am not a huge springer guy, just not my style of dog: to look at, to pet, to hang out with or walk, and watching them run in a field just is not my cup of tea. Absolutely they are other's favorite, just not what I am in to.

On the converse, I absolutely adorn and obsess over britts.

These breeds are like apples to oranges in a big way. You need to ask yourself some basic questions. Even the "one is more of a pointer and one flush" well, that right there should be a good starting point. You either want a pointer or a flusher, or you don't know, but just before that question you were asking yourself if you wanted a hunting dog.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 am

Keep in mind that there is a distinct difference in a show Springer and a field springer. To look at them, at least when I had springer's, they looked like two different breeds.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Hal,

I definitely agree. My comment about their appearance was more to do with that general "spaniel" look. But I agree the similarities start and stop there.

I know in the past you've posted videos of spaniels working on GDF. Maybe if you had a video of a springer working a field, and a video of a Brittany working a field, and you posted both (or even one) it may help the OP see what we're talking about as far as hunting style.

Thanks

Sure I could show him all kinds of video on Field breed Springers and Brittanies. How ever Youtube is loaded with all that information as well, and I would not want to take the fun and adventure of finding that out for himself! Be sides I dont think the OP has come come for any clarification since starting the post.
Hal

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:41 pm

kullboys wrote:I don't have any personal experience with either of these breeds; but from what I have read, these dogs seem very similar to one another. The only real difference I noticed was that a Brit is more of a pointer, while the Springer is more of a flusher. I might be splitting hairs, but does anyone with personal experience notice any differences between the two?
Thanks.
Yes . One Points and the other doesn't.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm

kullboys wrote:I don't have any personal experience with either of these breeds; but from what I have read, these dogs seem very similar to one another. The only real difference I noticed was that a Brit is more of a pointer, while the Springer is more of a flusher. I might be splitting hairs, but does anyone with personal experience notice any differences between the two?
Thanks.
They are not even remotely the same. They are not "more" this or that, one is a close ranging flusher and one is a pointer that can be a big runner. It's like comparing a lab to a setter. Don't be fooled because they look similar. You are looking at 2 very different dogs - there are vast differences that you must not be picking up on.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 am

I have owned and worked both breeds and often worked both breeds together. The springer did the really rough stuff like bramble or gorse thickets far better than the Brittany and the Brittany did the more open ground far better than the springer. The springers were easier to train as retrievers than the brittanies but that applied only to retrieve training using bumpers, the brits I've had all loved to retrieve game and did so very naturally. The springers were also better water dogs than the brits but again that only applied to bumper training in water.

The main difference is in the respective hunting ranges of the two breeds . If you let a springer hunt wide you will get very little shooting , the brits will hunt as much as several hundreds of yards out from you (if it is in the breeding to do so) and they will point instead of just flushing so you will get more shooting.

If you want a dog that hunts close get a springer, if you want a dog that hunts wide get a Brittany. Whether it is an American type brit or a French type brit does not really matter. I've had both types and they are just variations on a theme, they both want to hunt, they both point and they both retrieve.

Take a good long look at the sort of ground and cover you will be hunting in and then decide whether a springer or a brit will be best suited to that ground.

Bill T.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. When one just starts out here , it is not expected that you would know the differences of course. Trust the answers have helped you.

PS Good idea for members to have a quick look under the member's name to see if they are new and reply accordingly.