ecollar recommendations

hfurnbach

ecollar recommendations

Post by hfurnbach » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:45 am

Looking for recommendations for new ecollar(s). I have to retire my Dogtra 2002 T&B after over 10 years of great service. I want all the same attributes plus possibly GPS capabilities. What do you think?

Thank You,
Hank

Featherfinder

Re: ecollar recommendations

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:41 pm

I like the concept of the new Dogtra Pathfinder but I've not used one. I'm also not sure about it's dependency on your phone pertaining to data usage, signal strength, battery life of assigned phone etc.? I have an older Garmin that I still use just for GPS. I also have the new Dogtra 2702 and LOVE it.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 pm

I'm not aware of anyone making a beeper/training collar that also has GPS capabilities. Guess you could buy a Garmin Alpha or Sportdog TEK and add a beeper to it but that's a lot of stuff hanging around the dogs neck. If you liked the features and operation of the 2002 T&B I'd recommend the new Dogtra 2702 T&B.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:57 pm

I am using a Garmin 550 Plus and mini collar. Very pleased with both and would buy em again.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:19 pm

I like having 2 different collars for all of these jobs. I want a dedicated battery for GPS. I like the idea of a GPS collar that is dedicated to that one task. If I forget my shock collar, I feel I can still hunt... not so if I forget my gps collar, not where I hunt. I also like having the sport dog brand shock collar simply because I prefer their transmitter remote size and the clip.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:28 am

IF you only run ONE dog and IF you need GPS, tracking, and stimulation for training, the Alpha is the way to go. IF you run multiple dogs, the Alpha is a piece of crap. IF I didn't need GPS, just tracking and correction, no doubt I"d be using a 550.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 am

I run one dog, and I use the Garmin Astro for the gps, and then I use a Garmin Sport Pro I believe for the e collar. I like haveing two collars, just in case of one collar dying or not working, I will have the other one as a backup. Whereas if I was only running the Alpha, if that collar malfunctions or dies in the field, I would be out of both a e collar and a gps.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:12 pm

I use a Dogtra T&B 2500 and have a Garmin Astro for when we get into denser terrain where it is hard to see my Brittany. The combo works pretty well!

2fieldspringers

Post by 2fieldspringers » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:37 am

averageguy wrote:I am using a Garmin 550 Plus and mini collar. Very pleased with both and would buy em again.
I’m interested in your choice of the mini collar. I have a French Britt pup and was looking at the mini collar which is supposed to be for neck sizes 9-14 inches. My pup is 4 months and neck size is currently 11 inches. I have been advised to go with the regular size collar. GWP I think are bigger than the French britts, sooo I’m curious. You said your very pleased so I’m guessing the antennae orientation is working out good?

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:15 pm

I have both DC 50's and mini's for my britts. They don't care which one because they know when they get put on they're going hunting. If you have a sub 40 lb dog you might like the mini better.

straightup1

Post by straightup1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:00 am

Alpha 100 hands down. TT15 or the minis it doesn't matter. However, the minis are small and really well designed for small dog.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 am

2fieldspringers wrote:
averageguy wrote:I am using a Garmin 550 Plus and mini collar. Very pleased with both and would buy em again.
I’m interested in your choice of the mini collar. I have a French Britt pup and was looking at the mini collar which is supposed to be for neck sizes 9-14 inches. My pup is 4 months and neck size is currently 11 inches. I have been advised to go with the regular size collar. GWP I think are bigger than the French britts, sooo I’m curious. You said your very pleased so I’m guessing the antennae orientation is working out good?
I listened to the standard advice when I first bought my Alpha and went with the full size collar. It is huge compared to any ecollar I have used prior in over 30 years of use.

Then I bought a GWP puppy and wanted to use the GPS tracking features of the Alpha at an early age when running that puppy in cover, so I bought a mini collar. Having used them both I have found no practical advantage to the huge standard size collar. If I was running hounds on bear or cat in the mountains I would use the huge collar. Otherwise with an under control trained bird dog I have had no use for the large one I own and I use my mini collar exclusively.

Since the 550 Plus came out, I also switched from the Alpha to the 550 Plus as it is WAY better for easily handling, training and hunting a dog. I have no need for the full hand held GPS complexity Garmin built into the Alpha and the touch screen sucks for straight forward dog handling is my view. The dog tracking capabilities of the 550 Plus uses the same GPS technology as the Alpha so the performance in that area is the same. My Alpha never gets in the field since I bought my 550 Plus.