Dog boots/leg protection

Nmhuntr

Dog boots/leg protection

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

I know boots come off etc but in the southwest with cactus I need to give it a try as my dog will have to go to the vet Monday to get a thorn that broke off below the skin removed. It is higher up on the leg so boots alone probably would not help. What have you used that did and did not work.

Thanks

Meller

Re: Dog boots/leg protection

Post by Meller » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 am

Bicycle intertube, works pretty well!

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:19 am

That is what I am reading on other sites. Looks like I might go that way and try it.

Thanks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Of all the boot so ou could possibly use, tubes in my opinion are the worst. Dogbooties.com.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:39 pm

And these you recommend stay on well and help prevent cactus thorns from getting into the dog? I know a tune won’t work perfectly either I am just asking about your experience with thorns.

Thanks a lot

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Nmhuntr wrote:And these you recommend stay on well and help prevent cactus thorns from getting into the dog? I know a tune won’t work perfectly either I am just asking about your experience with thorns.

Thanks a lot
No, they're a prairie boot. Lewis boots are your best bet. They repel everything. No boot will stay on, none of them. What I do is to wrap duct tape up to the joint of the foot, sticky side out. Then put the boot on and stick it to the duct tape. Now tear duct tape into 1" strips. Start above the toe of the boot, wrap up over the sticky duct tape, then back down. Now they'll stay on even in water.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:No, they're a prairie boot.....
Fake news!.....for the price, nothing better for burrs and cactus. Been using tube boots for 40yrs. West Texas, Western Okla, KS, and SD.

cr

porochi

Post by porochi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

What's a tube boot? And where do you get them?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 pm

They are made out of motorcycle inner tubes. Cut in a certain way. Then put on like a Lewis boot

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Of all the boot so ou could possibly use, tubes in my opinion are the worst. Dogbooties.com.
I agree! We tried them this weekend and they were great.
Only $3.00 a piece as well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Fake news!.....for the price, nothing better for burrs and cactus. Been using tube boots for 40yrs. West Texas, Western Okla, KS, and SD.

cr

Read the post; I was referring to dogbooties. 'But I do despise and hate tubes. The only advantage in them is they're cheap.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:16 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

cr

Read the post; I was referring to dogbooties. 'But I do despise and hate tubes. The only advantage in them is they're cheap.
I made some tube booties for the pup last week, but haven't used them. I question the open toe and how that might allow something to get jammed up in there. Lots of folks swear by them, though.
I found those 1000 denier to work perfectly, very easy to get on and cheap.
I did a turn of vet wrap and then duct tape over the velcro stuff and it was just great.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:48 am

Those tube boots let sand burrs and everything else in. They're also noisier than heck if you're hunting cattail. If you tape the end closed, they wear the skin off the top of the dog's toes. There is also some kind of a powder on them that irritates the dog. You have to wash it off first. I have never understood why guys like them.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 pm

The tube boots are meant to be left open at the end. Any debris that might enter the open end of the boot will fall out when the dog raises the foot off the ground. You don't want sand or grit trapped in the boot. One reason I never liked the totally enclosed Lewis boots.

If the length is right the boot end should be closed when the dog's foot is on the ground. No need to tape it closed. The powder is Talc and should be washed off the tube or the tape won't stick. Not sure how a rubber boot could ever be that loud. The cordura boots work for burs but after a couple of hunts a hard charging pointer will wear through the bottoms. Boots of any kind will wear the hair off the top of the foot if worn for several days.
boots9.jpg
cr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.