What do you carry?

BuckeyeSteve

What do you carry?

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:34 pm

So... being new to hunting with a dog, I have a question. What do you carry, and how do you carry it?

I went out for my first real hunt with my 1yr old brittany a few weeks ago. We walked in a pheasant release area that I swear was better suited to woodcock or ducks. I was over the top of my boots in mud or water multiple times. The rest of it was thick, heavy stuff or super dusty (from prior flooding) tall grasses. Me & the dog were both a serious mess when by the time we finished.

Most of my hunts won't be like that...at least the mud and water parts. Most will be mountainous terrain in heavy cover for grouse, or more open pheasant fields.

When hunting with my dog, I realized I was very unprepared to take care of my dog. Our water and food were back at my truck. I literally had nothing on me but my old vest, ammo, gun, and e-collar transmitter.

I realized next time out, I need to carry water and a collapsible bowl for the dog at a minimum. Probably need to carry a check cord and pinch collar (he doesn't walk sanely on-leash without it). I've read an article saying to take first aid stuff for the dog. I'm looking into a vest that will allow me to carry more crap (though I hate to carry crap). Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on setup for being prepared in the field with my dog.... what else (if anything) I need to have on me, and how to carry more gear than I'm used to carrying when hunting solo?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you carry?

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:59 pm

I carry everything in a Wingworks II vest. Shells. GPS. Collapsable dog bowl. Water (usually, one quart(. 36" electric ties for traps. Leatherman. Spare batteries for Alpha. Pin on compass. Short leash. Whistles. Fire starter. Very small dog first aid kit.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:41 am

Teach the dog to catch water from a bottle or jug and you can ditch the bowl.

A Jaeger lead is good, really easy to loop to a tree or post to tie the dog, or across your body when you aren't using it, and you can walk the dog hands free.

A piece of cordage for releasing body grip traps, and a leatherman type tool for cutting snares.

I always wish I remembered my phone...we don't have even decent cell coverage but I've missed countless Kodak moments.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:28 am

I also use a WingsWorks vest and carry alot of gear in it. Shells, leash, EMT Gel, two pair of Gloves (fingerless, with fingers), Zip Ties for Conibear release, Leatherman on my Belt always, camera, neck gaiter, stocking cap, windbreaker strapped to the outside, GPS/Ecollar Transmitter, Cell Phone, eye wash, vet wrap, wallet with hunting licenses, two large water bottles.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:06 am

I spent some time last night looking at the Wingworks vests.... they look awesome. They aren't currently taking orders, though. I'll probably try to hold off buying anything and wait to get a wingworks.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:12 am

Water...for dog and for you...use a bottle, no bowl would be needed for dog or for you.

EMT gel, nylon stocking segment, eye wash.....health or older age might indicate something additional.

Small knife is nice, small pliers if porkies are around.

6' lead...can't see the need for a check cord or pinch collar.

Sadly, 3' zip ties for conibears are sometimes wise these days....land sets happen.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:I spent some time last night looking at the Wingworks vests.... they look awesome. They aren't currently taking orders, though. I'll probably try to hold off buying anything and wait to get a wingworks.
I bought the deep pocket shell bags and would do it again vs the short ones. The deep ones allow me to velcro the flap cover to the inside so the top is left open. All I have to do is reach down into the pocket to get another shell and they are so deep it next to impossible for something to fall out of them. Only a violent fall could make that happen. I carry a camera and or cell phone at the ready for photos in the left side shell pocket and use the right for shells.

Forgot to mention Forceps on vest list. Great for pulling thorns, cactus needles and porcupine quills. I carry a quill jig in the truck.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:33 pm

I have no experience with conibear traps.... what do you do with a 3' zip tie? If dog gets in a trap, wouldn't I just pull it open....or are they too tough to hand open? Regardless...where does the zip tie come in to play?

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:49 pm

And.... how about the stocking (panty hose/stocking, we're talking about?)? Is it for a turnicut or to make a bandage, or what does that do? I looked up EMT gel...it sounds like you put it on about anything like neosporin...is that correct? I carry in my human first aid kit a clotting powder (wound seal). I assume this would work on a dog also...but haven't researched that yet.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:38 pm

You have a loop in the zip tie or cordage, put the toe of your boot in it. Thread the end up thru the spring eyes then bring it back down and up again. So now you pull on the end of the string or ziptie and the spring comes together so you can set the safety latch. Repeat on the other side - if you're super lucky, maybe you can release the dog's head without doing the other side.

Check youtube, it's easier to understand when you see it.

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:29 pm

there are some things that move in and out of my vest ,like phone ,leatherman ,cigar or two etc
then there are the thing that are replenished like alpha transceiver(charging) and shells.
my vest also holds up to 2 70oz camel back bladders that I water my dog with and must refill.
then there are things that are always on my vest like 2 24" zip ties and a small first aid kit and a universal shotgun sling

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:01 am

First aid kit with vet wrap, quick clot and Israeli bandages, leatherman,TQ, 2- 22oz water bottles, and a reload for my pistol.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:48 am

If you were over your boots in water/mud...why do you need to carry water?

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Pedro wrote:If you were over your boots in water/mud...why do you need to carry water?
I hope to not always be over my boots in mud and water while pheasant hunting.... my belief is that that was an anomaly and the rest of PA game lands aren't built on swamps. I also get thirsty, and have higher water standards than my dog...so there's that too. But good call.... on that hunt that was certainly not my biggest issue.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
Pedro wrote:If you were over your boots in water/mud...why do you need to carry water?
I hope to not always be over my boots in mud and water while pheasant hunting.... my belief is that that was an anomaly and the rest of PA game lands aren't built on swamps. I also get thirsty, and have higher water standards than my dog...so there's that too. But good call.... on that hunt that was certainly not my biggest issue.
Just messin' with ya... :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:38 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:And.... how about the stocking (panty hose/stocking, we're talking about?)? Is it for a turnicut or to make a bandage, or what does that do? I looked up EMT gel...it sounds like you put it on about anything like neosporin...is that correct? I carry in my human first aid kit a clotting powder (wound seal). I assume this would work on a dog also...but haven't researched that yet.
If a dog cuts an ear, they can bleed profusely.....while the bleeding can be stopped, a head shake can paint the area red.
A section of nylon stocking slipped over the head will be tight enough to hold the ears tight to the head and so reduce the chance of reopening an ear cut after a head shake....ime.

Perfect? No, but it does work...afield and in the dog box heading home.

EMT gel is sticky-er than neosporin.
Good stuff.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Just a reminder to check on expiry dates on any drugs, creams, lotions, etc in your kits. Sometimes I don't realize how long I've had stuff...like 5-6 year old benedryl and a tube of EMT that was first used on a T-Rex. Most stuff is good for a while past the date but mine was ridiculous.

A friend's vet recommended using triple antibiotic *ointment* in place of opthalmic ointment if need be. I've used it with good results...BUT it has to be petrolatum based ointment, NOT a cream, and MUST NOT have any cortisone in it.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 am

I agree with most of the things mentioned. But because I'm hiking a ways and am also getting a long in the tooth, I take a space blanket,flashlight, lighter and parafin fire starter along with my cell phone, just in case.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:23 am

Also with a nylon stocking, if you get a bird you want to taxidermy slip it into the nylon stocking to preserve feathers while transporting in your vest.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:51 am

I have the ALPS X Upland Vest, so it's more like a backpack than a vest... here's what I carry for my 2-3 hour hunts:

Dog stuff: 32 oz of water, leash, & first-aid kit

Hunting stuff: ammo, license, GPS, & whistles

Survival stuff: firestarter, strike anywhere matches, cell phone, & multi-tool (leatherman)

I also take some steps beforehand... I have a local vet number saved on my phone. I tell my wife where I'm going, or I drop pins and share them with her. Also, the "Find my iPhone" app is linked to my iPad so if, God forbidden, I need to be found, search and rescue can go off of that.

TruckMan66

Post by TruckMan66 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:52 pm

OK, in my vest I carry the following: Shells, 4 -16 oz water bottles, a 3 1/2 foot chord for any conibear traps, gloves for shooting, first aid kit includes duct tape, superglue, flashlight, triple antibiotic, cortizone, benadryl, blood coagulant, matches, and a few other items.

JJWISE

Post by JJWISE » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 pm

In my vest I keep my shells and the remote to the dogs collar, plus the training whistle. Water and any other essentials go in a backpack, but if I don’t need a lot of gear, a fanny pack does well

porochi

Post by porochi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Toilet paper!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:47 am

I noticed you mentioned food in your original post but it was completely ignored in the responses. Hope you noticed it too because that is one thing you have no need of unless you are talking hypoglycemic or diabetic condition for you or the dog.

Ezzy

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
BuckeyeSteve wrote:And.... how about the stocking (panty hose/stocking, we're talking about?)? Is it for a turnicut or to make a bandage, or what does that do? I looked up EMT gel...it sounds like you put it on about anything like neosporin...is that correct? I carry in my human first aid kit a clotting powder (wound seal). I assume this would work on a dog also...but haven't researched that yet.
If a dog cuts an ear, they can bleed profusely.....while the bleeding can be stopped, a head shake can paint the area red.
A section of nylon stocking slipped over the head will be tight enough to hold the ears tight to the head and so reduce the chance of reopening an ear cut after a head shake....ime.

Perfect? No, but it does work...afield and in the dog box heading home.

EMT gel is sticky-er than neosporin.
Good stuff.
Mountaineer..... no kidding, that's really smart. I would have never thought of that. To follow up with a dumb question.... I assume you cut a "donut" type piece of the stocking, not just use a foot end, so it serves as a wrap more than a ski-mask...if that makes sense? I'm assuming you have to cut it to not cover the dogs nose and eyes or the dog would paw at it to get it off?

Ezzy... I did catch that with the food. I've been feeding three times a day, so figured I needed to have some food along (generally just in my car), but from another post I've learned that I need to kill that "3 time a day" thing and feed once or twice to not cause stomach twist. I'm moving to a morning and evening feeding. Thanks!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 pm

BuckeyeSteve wrote:
Mountaineer..... no kidding, that's really smart. I would have never thought of that. To follow up with a dumb question.... I assume you cut a "donut" type piece of the stocking, not just use a foot end, so it serves as a wrap more than a ski-mask...if that makes sense? I'm assuming you have to cut it to not cover the dogs nose and eyes or the dog would paw at it to get it off?

Ezzy... I did catch that with the food. I've been feeding three times a day, so figured I needed to have some food along (generally just in my car), but from another post I've learned that I need to kill that "3 time a day" thing and feed once or twice to not cause stomach twist. I'm moving to a morning and evening feeding. Thanks!
stocking "segment"....not an original idea from me.
It is an idea one can try and see if it works for them....it may or may not.
The need tho, is not likely to be very often.

Which is the idea(ie need) with what to carry with you as opposed to what is carried in the truck.
To me, there is little sense to outfit for an expedition but others will take a longer walk than I...in 2 hours or so, I find little need for most stuff I see listed in these perennial threads.
Others, will see differently...or, have experiences that dictate their greater burdens.