WPG vs PP

isonychia

WPG vs PP

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I know this isn't really a versatile hunting dog forum but I have a pretty simple question I have researched to death for those who know both griffons and pudlepointers. In 2-3 years I might be looking to get a different kind of hunting dog to add to the family. I will always have my britts or another pointing breed but thinking about a dog that I can use for 60% waterfowl 20% blood tracking wounded game and 20% upland. I want that dog to point so I can run it with my big runners when desired and maybe serve as a backup pointer but primarily, I am looking for a calmer addition to the family that I can use to hunt waterfowl and help find wounded game. Between the PP and WPG, which is better for waterfowl and which is better for tracking? I know the differences in upland game and don't need as much help there. I like the looks of the Griffon better and they seem like a better match for the calmness. Having 2 big runners in the house and toting around in the camper is enough for my wife to handle. Thanks!

Note, the GWP is out of the question in this discussion due to the fact that I want a dog that will be best around strangers and stranger's children. Please don't take the topic down that path I know they are incredible versatile dogs.

Also open to other suggestions. My wife really wants another dachshund one day and I have read that they can track wounded big game. Go figure! Maybe there is a small retriever out there that would fit the bill for waterfowl. 2 brittanies, 1 dachshund and a retriever keeping me busy.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: WPG vs PP

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Why can't you use your britts for all of these pursuits? They are a versatile dog. If your line of dogs can't do the tasks, perhaps you should look to a line of NAVHDA britts.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:32 pm

I looked very seriously into getting a pudelpointer myself because at the time I hunted waterfowl a lot more then upland (honestly the only reason I have a brittany right now is because my wife said no wire hair on the hunting dog....). There are a lot of world class hunting dog breeders in and around Boise, Idaho, but the guy who is really regarded as a leader in the world of pudelpointer breeding is located here as well - Bob Farris and Cedarwoods Kennels. Because of this you see a lot of pudelpointers around here and most of the people I see with them are waterfowl hunting. A few of the people I know who have them grew up with labs and although they will all admit a lab is the best overall retriever, they have all said that their pudelpointer runs a close second that will outshine a lab upland hunting. They all hunt waterfowl through January so I know they have no problem cold water retrieving.

The thing I do not know about is blood tracking. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. Bob has about 40+ dogs in his breeding program and runs around 1 year on his wait list. All of his breeding stock dogs have to earn through Utility Prize in NAVDHA. If you are around Boise it is worth calling him and setting up a time to swing by and see some of his dogs. I know he is a very serious big game hunter and I am sure he could give you some insight into this as well. I also know he is a pretty serious waterfowl hunter with land on the Snake River. They really are great versatile dogs.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 pm

You won't find much difference personality wise between DD, GWP, PP.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You won't find much difference personality wise between DD, GWP, PP.
You mean to say that the PP has the same weariness with strangers and independent attitude of a GWP?
SwitchGrassWPG wrote:Why can't you use your britts for all of these pursuits? They are a versatile dog. If your line of dogs can't do the tasks, perhaps you should look to a line of NAVHDA britts.
I'm really happy with NSTRA britts for what I consider my main passion at this point. I also cant imagine a wet brittany at 25 degrees sitting still for me while waterfowl hunting all the while not squeaking and being generally unhappy with the situation.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:08 pm

I have looked a little at those cedarwood pudlepointers. Look like nice dogs. I may have to try and check them out qhen I am up there.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:15 am

I've had DD's for about 15 years now and see NO wariness of strangers. Mine (2) spend all day in my store with me greeting customers and playing with their children. You've been sold a bill on goods on GWP aggressiveness.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 am

isonychia wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:You won't find much difference personality wise between DD, GWP, PP.
You mean to say that the PP has the same weariness with strangers and independent attitude of a GWP?
You need to see some dogs of each breed in person vs operating on inaccurate hearsay as you are now. Find the nearest VDD chapter for DDs, NAVHDA is your best bet for PPs, WPGs and GWPs and go see some dogs in person. And more than one.

The GW breeder alliance produces excellent versatile dogs including temperaments. https://www.wirehairalliance.com. There is a similar alliance within the PP breed. Bob Farris announced his retirement from the large scale breeding and you are unlikely to land a puppy directly from him at this time, but there are others carrying on his line and other strong lines. Killbuck and Oxbow are two of them that I have observed very nice puppies from in the last year. I see a significant portion of PPs which have horrible coats and spastic temperaments but there are some excellent ones around as well. Researching the right litter is key in all of these Versatile Dog breeds.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 am

I think either will serve you well. I've seen quite lot of variation in coat (length, density) especially with the PP.

While sharpness exists, I think much of it can be moderated through dedicated socialization and exposure starting before pup leaves the breeder.

Good luck!

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:07 am

Having been mauled by a pitbull and needing facial reconstruction I tend to take heresay on breed aggression very seriously. I just don't have any interest in a breed that has an aggressive or sharp tendency anywhere in its recent history. I am also acutely aware of the liability assumed if you have a dog that bites someone's child. I kind of knew this would come up which is why I tried steer us away from that in the original post. Nothing personal towards you or your dogs.

I know some local Griffon owners but no puddlepointers. In the past I have had better luck getting local contacts from breeders and trying to meet those folks. Or finding local breeders when traveling. It is nice to narrow things down first though.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:27 am

One of the best and costliest lessons I learned when starting my kennel was that a good share of bigger breeders are not breeding better dogs than somebody nearby. They just have a better PR department...…..Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am

isonychia wrote:Having been mauled by a pitbull and needing facial reconstruction I tend to take heresay on breed aggression very seriously. I just don't have any interest in a breed that has an aggressive or sharp tendency anywhere in its recent history. I am also acutely aware of the liability assumed if you have a dog that bites someone's child. I kind of knew this would come up which is why I tried steer us away from that in the original post. Nothing personal towards you or your dogs.

I know some local Griffon owners but no puddlepointers. In the past I have had better luck getting local contacts from breeders and trying to meet those folks. Or finding local breeders when traveling. It is nice to narrow things down first though.
Yes, perhaps the better approach would be to stay silent on breeds that do not interest you vs posting uninformed mis-information which of course is going to bring informed responses to that mis-information.

I have no reason to care what breed you land on and have given sound advice and information, including two breeders of PP who's puppies I have seen first hand in the last year, working birds on land and water, laid my hands on them, saw their personalities and natural ability, multiple dogs from each breeder I mentioned ... Everyone in the PP breed respects the Cedarwoods line of dogs and many have utilized that line in their own breeding. But possibly the worst PP I have seen for coat, temperament and bird work was a Cedarwoods dog. Could well have been an owner issue involved in part. If that dog were the only PP, and the only Cedarwoods dog I had ever seen I would have a distorted, inaccurate and dim view of both.

I saw a WPG in an NA test this summer that was walking within 10 feet of its owner and the Judges the whole time it was in the bird field. Saw several other WPGs that would not swim for a bumper during the water portion of the NA test, and barely swam for a bird, and had pretty uninspiring work in the bird field. I have also seen some nice WPGs and know where to look for one if I were in the market for that breed.

Research is more critical with WPGs and PPs breeds is my overall observation.

All the more reason to get out and look at multiple dogs from multiple breeds, but I repeat myself ...
Last edited by averageguy on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:19 am

cjhills wrote:One of the best and costliest lessons I learned when starting my kennel was that a good share of bigger breeders are not breeding better dogs than somebody nearby. They just have a better PR department...…..Cj
I would agree with that.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am

The only thing to watch for in a WPG is that they are more overbred than PP's. PP's have no "Show" or "Pet" breeders to speak of. Not saying that precludes research, but its more akin to buying an FDSB pointer. There are plenty of good Griff breeders out there, though.

Bob Ferris who is one of the pioneers of the breed bred his line (Cedarwood) specifically with an intention to be able to do waterfowl hunting late in the season.

FWIW, with GWP's I haven't seen any notable wariness of strangers or overly independent attitude.

But that's neither here nor there. I'd be inclined to give the edge to the PP for tracking. I'd give them the edge for waterfowl too, only because there aren't as many PP's that are bred with less focus on hunting.

Every PP I've met was very friendly, though on the whole, strung one notch higher than Griffs, similar to GWP's in that regard.

Griffons 100% take the cake for wonderful dispositions. That's not taking anything from other dogs, but their personalities are the best.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm

Warrior372 wrote:I looked very seriously into getting a pudelpointer myself because at the time I hunted waterfowl a lot more then upland (honestly the only reason I have a brittany right now is because my wife said no wire hair on the hunting dog....). There are a lot of world class hunting dog breeders in and around Boise, Idaho, but the guy who is really regarded as a leader in the world of pudelpointer breeding is located here as well - Bob Farris and Cedarwoods Kennels. Because of this you see a lot of pudelpointers around here and most of the people I see with them are waterfowl hunting. A few of the people I know who have them grew up with labs and although they will all admit a lab is the best overall retriever, they have all said that their pudelpointer runs a close second that will outshine a lab upland hunting. They all hunt waterfowl through January so I know they have no problem cold water retrieving.

The thing I do not know about is blood tracking. Someone else will have to chime in on that one. Bob has about 40+ dogs in his breeding program and runs around 1 year on his wait list. All of his breeding stock dogs have to earn through Utility Prize in NAVDHA. If you are around Boise it is worth calling him and setting up a time to swing by and see some of his dogs. I know he is a very serious big game hunter and I am sure he could give you some insight into this as well. I also know he is a pretty serious waterfowl hunter with land on the Snake River. They really are great versatile dogs.
This past weekend , PPs took 1st 2nd and 3rd at our NSTRA trials with all breeds present. They are good upland bird dogs.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 am

If tracking is a high priority, look for one out of the VPP-GNA or otherwise one with an import up real close. Most imports seem to come from Czech Republic or Austria.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

Good info all around here. I think I will go to a NAVHDA event so I can see some of these dogs work, including the GWP. Can any of you GWP owners touch on waterfowl hunting with them? I need to really consider whether or not waterfowl are something I NEED to pursue in my life. I like the idea but haven't even ever been (I've always been a self starter hunter type, not lots of folks my age hunting out there and even fewer that I would want to go with - I have somewhat high standards for hunting partners and to my own detriment). I love the idea of tracking wounded game for folks out here, including ones I may fail to recover. In all honesty though, my wife really wants a Dachshund and the Teckels seem to be great trackers. I have forever wanted to try setters since my primary quarry is grouse but love my brittanys. I need to try a setter and see how I feel so that I can move on with bigger decades long plans to trial and possibly breed NSTRA dogs that I love. The idea of a versatile dog has always been alluring to me but will I actually use the dog like I imagine or will it just compete for my time. I feel like I am trying to sell myself on versatility but need to think about why. At the end of the day the time between upland game season's end and public land water that isn't frozen over is actually smaller than ideal for a full on investment in a water dog and what that will entail for me (I tend to go full bore on things). I might need to draw a line in the sand, maybe get a griffon when I am older and can't keep up with these dogs at 12k feet and may be more attracted to waterfowl hunting and closer working dogs.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 pm

I have hunted with a succession of GWPs for over 30 years. Each of them hunted Upland, Waterfowl, Doves, Fur and Blood Tracking. In the Deer thread in the Training section I posted a couple of photos of recent blood track recoveries my current dog handled. They love to hunt everything and with exposure and foundational training are good at each subject. They handle waterfowl duties in all forms of weather, well. They will excel at tracking and hunting for downed birds, on land or water. I have had success training basic Back, Left/Right Over handling skills for blind retrieves, but they will not rival a Lab in that area. They will rival a good Lab for recovering downed birds and exceed the average Lab.

For a versatile hunter they are hard to beat. Photo is from a late season hunt with my current dog in Jan 2018 on a partially iced up, swift running river. They will do as much of it as they afforded opportunity. Which applies to all of it. I once hunted my first GWP 11 days straight. We took Bobwhites, Pheasants, Prairie Chickens, Coon (tracked and treed at night), Bobcat (jumped, run and treed), Ducks and Geese over that 11 day period. (I did not take near enough photos of that dog.) Where ever, whenever they are cut loose they will hunt.
The only thing that stops them is heat.

My First GWP

Same dog at 7 months - First Retrieve on his first duck hunt on a windswept US Corp Lake in Central Ks - Retrieved a 2 man limit that morning. Hunted Doves at 5 months, Limits of wild roosters in IA, MO and KS hunting alone just me and my pup, shooting over points, birds retrieved to hand, 11 productive points on bobwhites one day in KS all at 7 months of age. Started treeing squirrels in the timber at 7 months. A breed developed by serious hunters for serious hunters.

My Start em Young thread in the training section gives good information on their Natural Ability, Prairie Grouse thread in the Hunting Section provides some information on Upland Versatility, 500 Yard Retrieve Thread has some Youtube links to long distance blind retrieve water work.
Last edited by averageguy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:13 pm

If anything, many of them may be better waterfowl dog's than upland dog's. This spring my youngster spent two hours and fifteen minutes swimming in ice gloves chasing four geese. She is a goose-a-holic. I would not be concerned with waterfowl.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 am

I was looking up NAVHDA results and noticed the Small Munsterlander has some good placement up in Big Sky and Rocky Mountain. I had looked into these guys in the past but like many of the versatile breeds listed for NAVHDA I thought of them more as pointers. It looks like this might be a good option as I have heard they have a little spaniel in them (as opposed to the large munsterlanders) and the style and temperament seems like a cross of Britts and Setters. Things I am comfortable with. Can anyone talk to these? I wonder how long the wait list is for good ones, they seem more on the rare side.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 am

isonychia wrote:Having been mauled by a pitbull and needing facial reconstruction I tend to take heresay on breed aggression very seriously. I just don't have any interest in a breed that has an aggressive or sharp tendency anywhere in its recent history. I am also acutely aware of the liability assumed if you have a dog that bites someone's child. I kind of knew this would come up which is why I tried steer us away from that in the original post. Nothing personal towards you or your dogs.
I still have a hole in my arm from a Wiem bite 40+ years ago. All Pit Bulls and most of their owners ought to be sterilized.

IMHO, sharp dogs can be found in any breed. Again, IMHO, I think the likelihood of sharpness increases with dogs bred to chase and kill fur. I have a French dog, the opposite of the German Versatiles... sweet, smart, and beautiful ;) The French have specialized breeds for fur and big game.

We hunt frequently with a WPG and I have seen quite a few at NAVHDA events, the only "knock"( if you're testing) would be some seem to mature later than German dogs.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 am

Intelligent dogs easily understand the difference between a coon and a human. Fur sharpness has nothing to do with how a dog behaves towards humans. Check out the GWP and Drahthaaraddiction groups on FB for photo after photo of well adjusted GWPs living peacefully with babies and children. Better yet go look at some dogs firsthand.

German Dogs the opposite of beautiful and smart. Eh that would be in the eye of the beholder. I live on a remote farm and so I took this dog to the city once a week while he was a puppy to get socialization opportunities with people and other dogs I could not produce on the farm. Person after person laid their hands on him expressing what a beautiful dog he is. Serious hunters value the breed foremost for its performance however.

SMs - There are some effective ones around but you will sort through them to find them. Their coats are not as effective at keeping water off the dog's skin as is a proper Wirehair Breed coat, while at the same time SMs' coats are a nightmare for picking up burrs. Very common for SMs to have issues with weak pointing, steadiness and flagging while on point. If you like some style in your upland bird work I would look elsewhere. You are far better off looking at the PPs than going down the SM road is my input.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:34 pm

isonychia wrote:I know this isn't really a versatile hunting dog forum but I have a pretty simple question I have researched to death for those who know both griffons and pudlepointers. In 2-3 years I might be looking to get a different kind of hunting dog to add to the family. I will always have my britts or another pointing breed but thinking about a dog that I can use for 60% waterfowl 20% blood tracking wounded game and 20% upland. I want that dog to point so I can run it with my big runners when desired and maybe serve as a backup pointer but primarily, I am looking for a calmer addition to the family that I can use to hunt waterfowl and help find wounded game. Between the PP and WPG, which is better for waterfowl and which is better for tracking? I know the differences in upland game and don't need as much help there. I like the looks of the Griffon better and they seem like a better match for the calmness. Having 2 big runners in the house and toting around in the camper is enough for my wife to handle. Thanks!

Note, the GWP is out of the question in this discussion due to the fact that I want a dog that will be best around strangers and stranger's children. Please don't take the topic down that path I know they are incredible versatile dogs.

Also open to other suggestions. My wife really wants another dachshund one day and I have read that they can track wounded big game. Go figure! Maybe there is a small retriever out there that would fit the bill for waterfowl. 2 brittanies, 1 dachshund and a retriever keeping me busy.
I reckon if you have the skills ,you can train a dog of any breed to do pretty much anything it is capable to do , despite the breed or breeding .But I challenge you to get a Terrier to Point . :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Just for Robert: :)

https://flic.kr/p/2cL3xj4

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Iso, I might suggest a Boykin Spaniel unless you have your heart set on a pointing dog. They have excellent noses, swim like a fish, retrieve things as big as they are, work close and are very friendly little things. A couple I know in Driggs, Id has one that does double duty, upland and waterfowl dog during hunting season and avalanche search dog by winter. I would imagine he would make a good blood tracker. They are cute little dogs which would be a big plus with your wife and as a breed they seem to be a lot less likely to bite anybody than a doxy.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Sharon wrote:Just for Robert: :)

:lol: :lol:
Ready to pounce or strike does not count ... :mrgreen:

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:30 pm

It is like all the debates . X vs Y .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm

polmaise wrote:

Hey sure it counts !! :lol: Actually that terrier will back the setter.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Sharon wrote:
polmaise wrote:

Hey sure it counts !! :lol: Actually that terrier will back the setter.
"bleep" Right ! 8)
Anticipating what is about to happen next ...Will have been learned in "Training" or "Exposure" to an event . ..Much Like your Pointers , or Labs or any scruff from the pound . ?

So , WPG vs PP ..Is Irrelevant (imo) :wink:

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:16 am

isonychia wrote:I was looking up NAVHDA results and noticed the Small Munsterlander has some good placement up in Big Sky and Rocky Mountain. I had looked into these guys in the past but like many of the versatile breeds listed for NAVHDA I thought of them more as pointers. It looks like this might be a good option as I have heard they have a little spaniel in them (as opposed to the large munsterlanders) and the style and temperament seems like a cross of Britts and Setters. Things I am comfortable with. Can anyone talk to these? I wonder how long the wait list is for good ones, they seem more on the rare side.
I actually know of a big KLM litter that has some surprise availability (big litter with lots of males.) DM me if you like and I'll forward you the contact info.

There are two clubs, the KLM-GNA and the SMCNA. KLM-GNA is a JGHV club.

They are all nice dogs from what I've seen, all great demeanors. The one I know best is a kind of a "do-it-all" dog. They are "rumored" to be slower maturing and/or soft but the last one I saw run a NAVHDA NA test scored a 112 with puppy teeth still.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Fine looking dog, average guy! Good grooming job,too. It always bothers me when people don't take the time to learn how to groom, and their wires look like Old English Sheepdogs or something. Still, I'm sometimes personally a little embarrassed by early pictures of my first wirehair's coat before I figured it out. Worth getting a little instruction and practicing. It's a very attractive breed and low shedding, too .

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Thank you, Steve, but I did nothing to groom that dog other than I trim the hair on the underneath of his tail about twice a year.