Speaking of moving on, Boise here I come

NDBDHunter

Speaking of moving on, Boise here I come

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:31 pm

I found out yesterday that I'll be moving to Boise Idaho. I know there's a few of you from Idaho on this board/forum, is anyone willing to show a guy around once I get there? After looking at those hunting pics from that area I'm looking forward to chasing a few of those Chukars and Huns.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:34 pm

GF is gonna miss you. I have a friend who hung around out there this past fall, but I don't think he is going back, he decided he likes ND better, so I am no help.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:52 pm

After 15 years here It'll be hard to be impressed with anything else.

jbellflyman

Post by jbellflyman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:20 pm

you will love the area. im pretty novice in the upland hunting but there are good resources here and alot of area to cover with your dog. i can hook you up with someone i work with and i am definetly willing to go out with you. Also, DGFavor comes out this way to the Owyhees often so you could hook up with him too. when is the big move? the GSP club here hold events and feild tests and training. so in short, good hunting area.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 pm

I was researching the AKC and NSTRA websites and was very optimistic about having dog events so close to the Boise area. Yes, I'm looking forward to the move.

My wife starts in March, I will not follow until end of May or June. I'll miss those event this spring.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:58 pm

After 15 years here It'll be hard to be impressed with anything else.
Yah, no doubt! Like anywhere a guy just has to make due with the resources available. Maybe a day shooting a couple ruffeds and blues high up on the mountain, heading downhill to shoot a handful of chukars and huns (don't shoot the sage hens), then hit the bottoms for some quail and a pheasant or two will ease your pain!

A buddy just had his pointers tree a mountain lion the other day that he shot and tagged...that is a hound dog in your avatar isn't it?? :D

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:20 am

Hound dog?? That's a good one... :roll:

All in fun :)

Really now. I'll PM you. I have plenty of questions.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:39 am

So that isn't a hound?

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 am

Aaa...no! I guess I've mistaking you all for "knowledgable" birddog people. :lol: I'm assuming you own a GSP, since most people on this site do. I've had 3 GSP's in the past, that's why I've had Gordons for the last 19 years. I haven't had paw prints on my cealing since. :lol:

I guess I've affectionately called them hounds at one time or another, they would just look up from the couch, roll their eyes' at me and go back to sleep.

Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same thing, drove the same car, loved the same woman?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:23 pm

All in fun
Always!! I used to train with a guy that had Gordons and they were alot of fun.

I've never been back hunting in your country but I think it would be fun to go hunt dogs off horseback in some of those grasslands for sharptails - the only problem with that plan is I can already do that 20" from my house so it makes a 16 hour drive seem a little nutty!

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:42 pm

I've been accused of a lot of things before, but never of being a knowledgeable bird dog person. I've actually owned beagles, setters, shorthairs, redbones, walkers, and plotts. You have to realize in general us folks from Idaho aint very learned.

So you say it is a GORDON, so it must be a flusher then. You could probably use it on one of those places where the F & G plants pheasants.
Good luck on your move out here. I would spend most of my time over in Doug's neck of the woods. There are a lot more birds on that side of the state.
Regards
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:39 pm

I would spend most of my time over in Doug's neck of the woods. There are a lot more birds on that side of the state.
Nobody wants to hunt over there risking life and limb to chase some feral imports that probably can't even stand upright on level ground.

NDBD - If you're determined to try and hunt chukars in Gary's neck of the woods, I'd start practicing right now. Put on your slickest bottomed house slippers then go set up a clay target thrower on the slickest, steepest part of your roof. (for the most realistic scenario, the clay target needs to dive over the roofline out of site at a distance of 10ft.)
You could shoot a few where you're really ready but to get the best practice I'd suggest sort of kicking at the launcher like its a bush your dog is pointing at, turning around and telling your buddy "there's no birds in h..." then have him launch the bird. You spin back around and try to get off a shot before your body hits the ground. Repeat.
When you get that down, then you can start riding your horse up to the launcher, jumping off, then hang onto the reins while you repeat the above.

Springer

Post by Springer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:47 pm

From these responses Tom I think you had better just stay in ND or should I say EGF.

Your passion and knowledge will be missed here, at least by me.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:05 pm

Hey Doug,
Where did they shoot the cat? I have a canyon that I run in the winter that always has tracks in it.
I saw on another board that Rusty made the call back at the Continental,
PRETTY NEAT
Regards
Gary

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:40 pm

glk7243 wrote:

So you say it is a GORDON, so it must be a flusher then. You could probably use it on one of those places where the F & G plants pheasants.

Gordon CAN be flushers, but not nearly as good at flushing as those shorthairs are. You got me there. ND doesn't plant too many birds around here

I don't like hunting those "#*&^" pheasants myself. I'd rather hunt sharptails and other grouse. You won't have any competition there. My Gordons are use to pointing Sharptails to 10, 20 + yards and when they hunt pheasants and point at those distances it gets pretty frustrating for us all. So I go a couple times a year just because I can.

Maybe we'll just have to see who's got what......

Thanks Kevin.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:38 pm

This side of the state does not have a huntable popultaion of sharpies, there are some blue grouse in the forest if you like hunting them.

The main pointing dog game is chukars and huns. There are also quail but they are harder to hunt with a pointing dog unless you catch them out in the sage away from the brushy draws.

You will have fun pursuing chukars and huns although it is more physical than most upland hunting. Doug's funny description of preparing to shoot them is very true. I have been pursuing them for 30 yrs. I'm hoping that next year is the year that I get one.

Regards
Gary

sharptailhunter

Post by sharptailhunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:44 pm

DGFavor wrote:NDBD - If you're determined to try and hunt chukars in Gary's neck of the woods, I'd start practicing right now.
NDBD, Ah don't let Doug scare ya, he's a pansy. You should see how many times he whiffs on the sharpies after chasing them silly chukars around all winter :lol:

Seriously, we're nice guys who are always willing to help out a fellow birddogger (is that a real word?). Hope the move goes safely for ya.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:51 pm

NDBD

Now that you leaving the area I would very much liek some tips on some good sharptailed areas up in NW Minnesota.

Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 pm

Ah don't let Doug scare ya, he's a pansy.
Pansy??? Are you still talking about the porcupine deal? Screaming always stops 'em in their tracks is why I did it...the more shrill the better.

Another good chukar shooting drill would require two launchers. Set one up just out of gun range and launch two birds. Shoot both barrels of your $$$$ copper plated 6's at 'em anyway cause you're out there to shoot at stuff. Swear, break open your gun, then have your buddy launch the other bird right at your feet while you stare at it dumbfounded soaring away. You can swear again too.
I have been pursuing them for 30 yrs. I'm hoping that next year is the year that I get one.
If you get one, let me know, I'd like to see what they look like up close.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Here is yet another great practicing cenario........

Place launchers at peak of roof so they will launch to the oposite side of the roof you will be on. Place yourself at the edge of the eave looking downward. Now have a buddy hand throw a bird right for the corner of the house just as you peak over while simtanously launching the birds that are behind you.

Balance is key.....................good luck on your move and safe travels

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:10 am

Here is yet another great practicing cenario........
Yah, you know the deal. It's really the exception to the rule to have your feet under ya' when you shoot at chukars. I'm not hearing alot of life threatening stories coming back from the Dakota hunters so that's starting to sound pretty good.

Gary - those stinking quail can drive ya' nuts. I think I mentioned somewhere else the crazy gunbattle I got into with a covey of those running little buggars last week. I think I had 6 chukars in the bag in 7 shots and Stitch pointed a big covey of quail maybe 150 yds. from the truck. 8 shots in 8 different directions later and I had one bird down (my partner says I shot about 12 times but that's open for debate - that's why ya' never keep track of the # of shells you depart with)

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:54 pm

This is NDBDHunter.

I was reading the Idaho Game reg's and they mention Bobwhite Quail, but yet no one talks about hunting them. Are there a few birds around and why does no one talk about them?

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:05 am

I have seen a few along the snake in the farm land a couple times. But basically there are no bobwhites here. The quail are all the california valley quail.
Gary

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:17 pm

I may have to do some prospecting for quail when I get there before I give up on them. In ND I hunt sharptails where no one else hunts them, because no one thinks they are in that area. I find enough to shoot my fill. In MN I hunt grouse and WC in areas that no one else hunts them and again no one thinks they're there, and again I find enough to keep my interest peaked. You would be amazed what most people drive past to get to the birds. We'll see!!

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Good luck, I wish you well in your search.

Regards
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:38 am

You won't have to prospect to hard to find valley quail...you could probably limit out on the lawn of the capitol building.

Your search for a wild Idaho bob may be a little tougher though. I probably wouldn't believe it to be a wild reared bob even if I saw one...more likely an escapee from some put/take facility.

A find on a mountain quail though...that would be somethin'...go find one of those and I'd be impressed! You ever seen 'em Gary? I never have.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Hey thanks for all the input. Maybe when I get out that way this summer I'll have more questions. Thanks again.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:00 pm

Does this mean I can have your "secret hunting spots"? Anyways, you know we'll miss ya! Taught me everything I know so far :D I know you're a modest kinda guy, but I'll be very lost for a while..... Guess I'll be calling Jerry more often huh?
Wow, Jack is really getting big. Nice point!
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:31 pm

DGFavor wrote: A find on a mountain quail though...that would be somethin'...go find one of those and I'd be impressed! You ever seen 'em Gary? I never have.
No, I have not. I have seen valley quail in the mountains. But never a confirmed Mtn quail.

Wednesday is the last hoorah. I'm gonna give er one last try.

After that I'll just have to go watch you crazy trialers for entertainment.

Regards
Gary