puppy pricing change after a deposit

Waned

puppy pricing change after a deposit

Post by Waned » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:26 pm

For the breeders out there. If you agree to sell a pup to someone for a 1000 dollars and get a none refundable deposit of 200 dollars do you honor that price even if you decide to raise your puppy price to 1200 dollars or sell puppies to those who made deposits at 1000 dollars?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: puppy pricing change after a deposit

Post by cjhills » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Of course I honor the price I agreed to. Anybody that would buy a with a deal like that is a sucker. Any seller that would do that is not being honest.
If for some reason, the breeder decides to raise his price after he made the deal, he should at least give the buyer a choice to get his deposit back. That would still be dishonest.…….Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:47 am

I agree, doing that is dishonest.

Bill T.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 am

I'm with CJ and Trekmoor, if someone wants to hike to price, I see nothing wrong with that for the remaining unsold pups BUT any commitments you have already made to customers stand as they did from the on-set. You don't just decide you want to change the price after-the-fact. It's a matter of integrity.
This could be a good thing for you. You might want to try to get your money back based on them changing the original deal. Then, find someone reputable.
Here's the key question, "Did you already pick your pup?"
If the breeder pulls this kind of stuff, he may try unloading an alternate pup on you. He might even have someone that wants your pup and is willing to pay the extra $$$ (probably at the root of the price change). :wink:
Bottom line is, you need to think seriously about getting a pup from this caliber of breeder. I'm likely going out on a limb here but let me guess - do they sell more than one breed/species?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:49 am

One of the breeders I have used raised his price. He posted the price change on his website. He included a statement that anyone with deposits already payed would be at the original price

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 am

Waned wrote:For the breeders out there. If you agree to sell a pup to someone for a 1000 dollars and get a none refundable deposit of 200 dollars do you honor that price even if you decide to raise your puppy price to 1200 dollars or sell puppies to those who made deposits at 1000 dollars?
Are You the seller ?

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 am

If he's talking about future pups, that's one thing. If he's changing the deal after you put your deposit down, run far away.

What other underhanded BS is he pulling? Lying about health certificates? Are you getting the breeding he's advertised?

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 am

Once you put your deposit down the price should not change you’re locked into an agreement. I have never heard of this being done but doesn’t surprise me anymore with the way some of these breeders operate today. Just the other day I saw a litter advertised + sales tax. Never in my life have I seen someone as for sales tax on a pup. Strange times.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:38 am

Many licensed breeders charge sales tax. At least in Mn. because they have to pay it. I also raise the price if I keep the pup until ten weeks. This pays for the vet exam and the second shots. But, that is agreed on before the deposit is made.
I would never buy a puppy from a breeder who did this. Even if I have to lose my deposit. I would try to get it back, but giving it up might be worth it. Who knows what else he is hiding.
Misunderstandings are always possible, but this seems pretty obvious.......................Cj

Waned

Post by Waned » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 pm

I am not the seller and if I was I would hounor the agreed price and the order of the deposits. They only raise Epagneul Breton French Brittanys.
Last edited by Waned on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Not only is this unethical and dishonest, it is probably illegal. If you can prove that they OFFERED the pups at $1,000 and you ACCEPTED that offer by laying down a $200 deposit you then have a legal binding contract! The elements that make a legal contract are the offer, acceptance and consideration (something being paid for the deal)………..

If the breeder refused to sell at $1,000, even if they give you back your deposit, And if you then have to go purchase a similar pup for $1200, the original breeder could be liable for the extra $200 you had to pay. I would think any small claims court would rule in your favor, as long as you can prove the OFFER, your ACCEPTANCE, and CONSIDERATION by money passing hands(in this case).

Good Luck

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:12 am

I'm with Jonov, CJ, et al which is precisely why I see this as an opportunity. "Somebody" is looking after your back!
Go back to the breeder and be clear, "You (the breeder) unilaterally changed our agreement. You can give me my deposit back or I suggest you get a lawyer."
And NO, you don't want the pup at the original price....not anymore! As was mentioned, who knows what other underhanded deeds have transpired that you are not yet aware of! Perhaps none but....?
For that matter, if you walk away without your deposit, you are still MILES ahead of the game, IMO. (I'd get my deposit back. :wink: )
…amen.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 am

Get your money back if they raise the price after you place the deposit.

There are con artists in every market and dogs are no exception. Some folks will do anything to turn a few extra bucks. Thats why ANY questionable behavior leads me to immediately take my business elsewhere. Too many dogs with bad pedigrees, forged health certificates, and Ive run into one dog breeder that jacked up the price on pickup after sending all those adorable puppy photos for weeks and a few hour drive to south central kansas with a truck full of kids that were expecting a cute new puppy.

Know what you want.
Know what youll pay.
Know your breeders reputation.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:36 am

You wouldn't want to tell us who the breeder is? Would you?...…………………………...Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Not a good idea CJ as the breeder would have no chance to defend him/herself on here. Ask by PM if you want.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Why do you say the breeder would have no chance to defend himself. Might be somebody on here. I did not really want to know...…………..Cj

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 am

As Sharon said, do not post the breeder! He can pm interested parties.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:13 pm

cjhills wrote:Why do you say the breeder would have no chance to defend himself. Might be somebody on here. I did not really want to know...…………..Cj
Yes I thought of that , that he/she might be someone on here . However ,then I thought it might not be a member. :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:43 pm

Sharon wrote:
cjhills wrote:Why do you say the breeder would have no chance to defend himself. Might be somebody on here. I did not really want to know...…………..Cj
Yes I thought of that , that he/she might be someone on here . However ,then I thought it might not be a member. :)
Maybe, maybe not. I hope not.
It was just a comment. I did not expect it to happen.
But, one of the reasons for so much questionable stuff in the dog breeding world is that so much is swept under the rug and nobody dares to comment. On the other the breeder might have a good reason. Can't imagine what that would be.………….Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:21 pm

A public forum is not the place to for anyone to criticize someone else when no one reading it has a clue what really happened. Legally you are allowed the privilege to meet your accuser eye to eye. On a forum that is impossible, so we do not allow it, period.