Hypersensitive GWP

Feathers'n'Furr

Hypersensitive GWP

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Has anyone dealt with a hypersensitive dog before? I mean HYPERSENSITIVE! I have a 3 year old male GWP that i got about a year ago from a breeder and he is the biggest sissy. Before anyone asks I'm not heavy handed with the dog, just have learned through day to day life. If I so much as grab his collar/scruff to keep him from running out the door, bump into him in the house,really anything he starts yelping and running like I just branded him with a hot iron. I mean even so much as a pull on the lead and he has a melt down. I've hunted over him twice with great results,but if I take him to do training gun shots scare him to death and he becomes worthless for the rest of the day. Really can't figure out how to work with him or how to get him to toughen up. Any suggestions?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Hypersensitive GWP

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm

YOU may not have done that to the dog but SOMEONE probably has. A dog rarely acts like that without cause. I have in all my years seen two dog's like that and I knew for a fact neither was ever beaten; they were both very mentally unstable. Both dog's were eventually destroyed because they were a danger to children in the home. They were so unstable that if a child accidentally cornered one of them, they MIGHT bite the child. I detest dog's like that.

Feathers'n'Furr

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm

He has bitten me on two occasions. Once while trying to pick him up after a run in with a porcupine (not only did he bite me but he crapped all over himself), the other occasion trying to kennel him. Just trying to find out if there is anyway to salvage the dog because he's shown great potential before.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

After a year in a good new home, a mentally stable dog with behavioral problems from a bad past would show improvement.

This dog sounds very mentally unstable with these over the top reactions.

I'd take him back to that breeder. Let him/her deal with it. The best trainer in the world can't fix a messed up brain.

There are plenty of mentally correct dogs with tons of potential. You gave it good try, so give yourself a chance to move on to an enjoyable relationship with a good hunting buddy.

I'm sorry you are in such a bad situation, best of luck to you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Have had 2 dogs(GSP, JRT) like that- both rescues. I did my best for a year and then put them down .

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm

I hate to hear this about a breed I love. Plain and simple, too many breeding without knowing a dang thing about the dogs behind the dogs.

Some Wires can be drama kings and queens, it can be a learned response to get them out of doing something they don't want to do. But fixing it.... if you have a lot of patience, a lot of time and are ok with just having a pet, yes, you can maybe do it.

No Wire should have this temperament... but you have him so what to do? Set rules, and stick to them. Be fair, but unbending. If you ask him to do something, he has to do it or at least try really hard. Structure in everything. Calmness in you, and seek it in the dog. If he pitches a fit about something, just wait him out, then calmly have him finish doing what you asked.

Can you fix him? I hope so for the dogs sake. Please never breed him! Please tell the breeder about his issues. I hope they care. Good luck, and if you can't fix him... end his misery because he will never truly be a happy dog.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:20 pm

I honestly cannot see that this is ever going to work out well for you..... Sorry but I'd cut my losses and get another pup.

Bill T.

Feathers'n'Furr

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the replies, was hoping I'd get lucky and have a little positive feedback. I'm going to try to give him a little more time and see if he can come together even if its just as a pet, he's an insanely sweet pup when 98% of the time. Will be moving in May and have the opportunity to be make him an "outside" dog, hoping maybe this will help toughen him up and give him the opportunity to burn some more energy so that maybe I can get him to focus more.

huntindog1

Hypersensitive GWP

Post by huntindog1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 am

Might check YouTube for Cesar Millans videos on sensitive dogs. I have seen some shows of his on TV we're he worked with dogs like that and helped them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am

I am just going on what you offered. If I was the breeder of the dog you described, it would not leave my premises. That dog was 2 when it was rehomed to you. That is where the mistake was made. Now, you are landed with the problem. You said you didn't do anything to create this situation so that tells me you got him this way. One year later, he is still not normal. The breeder might not want him back now (I'm guessing). I'd be surprised if the breeder didn't think there was something up with this dog from the get-go. It wasn't like he sold you an 8 week old pup. The breeder had him until he was 2 OR (quite possibly) he sold him to someone that returned the dog after abusing him. He then resold it to you. I hope you didn't pay too much for him?
Anyway, here you are. So, there comes a point in every investment where you have to look at the facts/returns. You have an investment in time, money plus surrounding issues regarding his reaction even around you (you say he bit you already), your family, friends, children, etc. Oh....and he has an affinity for porcupines! Only you can decide if this is worth even more investment. I appreciate that it is precisely why you are here asking for help. My opinion from what you offered is to cut your losses. Now, if you have the financial where-with-all to throw large sums at a behavioral therapist that might resolve this issue.....more power to you Sir.
I'd start fresh with a normal prospect. 15 or so years is a long sentence with the wrong dog!!

Feathers'n'Furr

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:19 am

That's a very real possibility. The breeder even contacted me about two weeks after I got him and "double checked to make sure I didn't want to return him for the stud of their last litter that they decided not to keep at the last minute". I did not pay very much for him, and he's a beautiful dog. He already has his Jr hunt test completed, and when it comes to hunting he's sick for it. I guess I'm just torn between the idea of losing the money I already invested and the fact that I have bonded to him and him and my GSP are best buds. I decided to take a risk after posting this and started collar conditioning him and he's been much better since then. Very low stimulation seems to keep him in check without setting him off, and he doesn't know where its coming from so he can't really associate it with anything. Thinking maybe he has the potential to b a great hunting dog and I'm just to have to let go of the idea of him staying in the house and being a companion as well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am

The more you post, the less sense it makes. You say he's a did great hunting yet is terrified by the shot of a gun.

He folds when you tug on a leash yet has been trained for hunting.

He's completed his Junior hunt test yet hates gun fire.

He's sick for hunting get runs from a shot.

Taken as a whole, your posts make absolutely no sense. Either you're totally misreading the dog or your not reporting what the dog is actually doing. I'm confused.

Feathers'n'Furr

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:The more you post, the less sense it makes. You say he's a did great hunting yet is terrified by the shot of a gun.

He folds when you tug on a leash yet has been trained for hunting.

He's completed his Junior hunt test yet hates gun fire.

He's sick for hunting get runs from a shot.

Taken as a whole, your posts make absolutely no sense. Either you're totally misreading the dog or your not reporting what the dog is actually doing. I'm confused.
Let me clarify. He completed his Jr hunt test with the breeder not me. I've hunted over him and shot birds over him twice. When he's focused on live game, shooting doesn't phase him, however in training (ex. retrieving bumpers and firing with a blank gun) he hangs around for about 4-5 retrieves and then he gets spooky with the shooting and I stop training. Similarly on both occasions I've hunted him he's taken his fair share of cut/abrasions from brush etc. and it doesn't seem to bother him, but if I slide him out of the way with my leg walking down the hallway he yelps and trots off to the other room.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:29 am

FnF, don't think you are the first to make a decision that lands you with a dog that doesn't work out. I appreciate where you sit today. Here is the thing, IF you are successful in keeping him outside as a 1/2 decent hunter, you are still in for full pop on day-today expenses going forward, remember...for a sub-caliber dog. What I'm trying to say is there are costs still ahead of you for a "potentially OK hunter" - a volatile dog you need to keep an eye on around folk, porcupines (which can inflate Vet expenses) and possibly other dogs because of his fabric. Here it is in a nutshell:
- in time, your dog will get better (to what degree is anyone's guess)
- in time, your dog will stay this way or get worst!
Both require a further investment in both time and money. Why gamble? Even the breeder understands that this dog is.....different. The longer you sit on the decision you know is right, the longer you are invested, the bigger the hole you dig for yourself. For me, money invested in my many poor decisions, I like to refer to as "training courses". There are little gems in most every training course. Don't disregard the lesson(s). As for the time you have lost, you are still in a position to rebound. (At my age [64], that can be a BIG mistake!) I'm guessing you are much younger than I.
FnF, I wish you the best which is why I recommend moving on with a normal or possibly even a SUPER new young prospect! At the end of the day, it remains your call Sir. Like I said, it's just such a long, harsh and expensive penalty for getting this one wrong. Or, as the good'ole boys used to say, "It don't cost any more to feed a good dawg."

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:12 am

sounds like your dog needs to build trust and conf.someone has been to hard on the dog. i would take the dog out for runs no leash or commands and make it all fun. you have a dog that your going to have to be real gentle with but you can make it work use food as a reward when your out running say hear when the dog comes to you make a big deal out of it and give the dog its reward for complying

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:03 am

Hate hearing about this type of thing. Only a few ways dogs get like that and none of them are good.

You should try fixing the animal.

Imo a decent amount of overly sensitive or gun shy dogs can be salvaged or repurposed into shed hunters, blood trailers, etc. Too many get put down or dumped because their owners lack creativity or the motivation to take on a tough project. It takes forever and it might hold onto some goofy quirks but if you have room in your kennel and youve already bonded with the dog maybe just use it as a weekend warrior this season and see how the animal progresses. Keep up the ecollar work and good luck.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 am

i beleive a dog that has enough prey drive can be fix had a frinde got a pointer she would blink birds you could see she smell the birds and would turn and go the other way it took awhile but she end up being a good grouse dog alot of people would have given up on the dog