Black GSP'S

PSUHUNTER

Black GSP'S

Post by PSUHUNTER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:00 am

I have a 16 month old black Shorthair that I always get asked about his color. Does anyone have a link or information regarding the history of the color?

MGIII

Black GSP'S

Post by MGIII » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:18 am

Black GSPs are common. They are just not allowed in the show ring.

PSUHUNTER

Re: Black GSP'S

Post by PSUHUNTER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am

They are uncommon enough that I cant seem to go anywhere with him without questions. I have a very basic understanding from a google search but I am looking for a link or more in depth knowledge regarding black GSP's and the difference, if any, between AKC dogs and DK dogs.

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Because they would win, based on appearance.

JasoP

Post by JasoP » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Here is a link that shows the different variations. It' from a book that is quite expensive but probably (I don't own it, wish I did.) well worth the money. The link to the book is on the web page as well. I also linked to he history of black gsp's.
https://www.deutsch-kurzhaar.ro/en/germ ... ur-litters
http://almostheavengsps.netkennel.com/C ... d%20Origin

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 pm

http://almostheavengsps.netkennel.com/C ... d%20Origin

Here you go.
Hope you didn't want something simple.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Read Colter by Rick bass, it may have been brown, but it was washed out regardless. Probably a good thing people don't get it. The regional wildlife officer here had 2 gsps stolen out of her truck back in KS I believe.

Shellottome

Black GSP'S

Post by Shellottome » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:47 am

A great hunting dog comes in many different colors.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 am

Solid Black or Black Roan?

I think that some of the FCI countries frown on the solid black but that doesn't mean they're any less GSP for it..

But its only in the US that they penalize the Black Roan...

Does anyone know if the VDK-GNA approves the breeding between a solid liver and a black roan? That's the combination (as I understand it) that leads to a solid black dog.

PSUHUNTER

Post by PSUHUNTER » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

My pups dam is solid liver and his sire is black roan. 11 pups with every combination of color except solid black. I had first pick of the litter and chose a black roan male. Thanks everyone for the other info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 am

JONOV wrote:Solid Black or Black Roan?

I think that some of the FCI countries frown on the solid black but that doesn't mean they're any less GSP for it..

But its only in the US that they penalize the Black Roan...

Does anyone know if the VDK-GNA approves the breeding between a solid liver and a black roan? That's the combination (as I understand it) that leads to a solid black dog.
Any breeding of solid liver or solid black with black roan, black and white, solid black or any other mix of black will have some solid black puppies. Not at all uncommon in Mn. and Wisc. Probably due to the popularity of the Pottsiepen bred early NAVHDA dogs.
I don't know who approves of what. But I do know some GSP people who freak out over black. Personally, I think good dogs come in any color. I always vote for allowing black in the show ring. It never passes. .........Cj

Sask hunter

Post by Sask hunter » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Post a picture

PSUHUNTER

Post by PSUHUNTER » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am

I'm struggling with this new member post approval process, not sure why message still hasnt posted. Anyway, thanks for the info. My dogs sire was Black Roan and his dam was solid liver. Out of 11 pups, the only color I didnt see is solid black.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 am

I completely understand the motivation behind openly bringing pointer blood into the GSP gene pool (which has gone on under the cloak for centuries on this side of the pond and not just with GSPs) however, color alone does not a good dog make. There are many beliefs surrounding the advantage of black in the eyes, pigment, pads, etc. Perhaps the stats need to be more extensive?
I saw/experienced a younger solid black GSP a number of years ago. Not to appear black-hearted - I would have (in-the-least) spayed the dog and found a pet home for it.
I've seen/had good dogs and crap in all manner of color and sizes. While I prefer the practical application of a predominantly white dog in my personal wild bird hunting preferences, I re-iterate, color is not an indicator of a dog's ability. * Keeping in mind that it is a long way from pup to finished dog.
As for the bench/show community, I'm not that well versed however I am a proponent of a standard for breeds or we would have all manner of colors, sizes and shapes under the same moniker as in, a GSP should look like a GSP and not a pointer with a short tail.
Here is my latest acquisition. You might notice a predominant color based on working practicality rather than some other motivation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PSUHUNTER

Post by PSUHUNTER » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

I was more or less curious to the history behind the color just to better answer the questions I constantly get asked. I personally prefer the black dogs, lightly ticked white and brown dogs being a close second. As an inexperienced trainer I have been more than lucky with his performance, I never thought color had anything to do with his success though. I had first pick out of 11 dogs and he was picked because my wife liked his colors. Idk anything about his parents other than their names (Reif Vom Trochen Bach & Kimber Vom Riverwoods) and their job, strictly hunters.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:05 am

PSUHUNTER wrote:I was more or less curious to the history behind the color just to better answer the questions I constantly get asked. I personally prefer the black dogs, lightly ticked white and brown dogs being a close second. As an inexperienced trainer I have been more than lucky with his performance, I never thought color had anything to do with his success though. I had first pick out of 11 dogs and he was picked because my wife liked his colors. Idk anything about his parents other than their names (Reif Vom Trochen Bach & Kimber Vom Riverwoods) and their job, strictly hunters.
The Vom Riverwoods Kennel has produced some nice dog sin NAVHDA. You have a great dog, enjoy it.

I too like the black roan dogs, I have a GWP similar in color to your dog.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:45 pm

And so, you should have what you prefer. I hope it turns out to be a good bird dog for you.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:57 am

Reif Vom Trochen Bach's pedigree is heavy on KS dogs. Frank has heavily titled dogs. They seem to be closer working dogs from what I've seen.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:16 am

The breed club and akc allows DK's to be registered as gsp's. Thus they allow black to be registered since some are black. However they don't want black to become the prominent color so they haven't allowed black in the show ring. The field trial people don't add DK's to their lines so you generally see no black in the field trial lines. Mainly you see black in the navhda lines.

PSUHUNTER

Post by PSUHUNTER » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 am

He happens to be close working as well. I've done a couple hunts with his cousin that has the same dam and he is a much longer ranging dog. Great hunter just tends to find the next zip code at times. My dog is close working but occasionally will turn the jets on when we hit trails