Gordon Setter

Meller

Gordon Setter

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 am

A friend of mine has a real nice Gordon Setter, good nose, strong point, lots of energy! Don't see many Gordons on here, is anyone hunting with a Gordon, if so maybe we could get you to post a few pictures of them in action!

Dakotazeb

Re: Gordon Setter

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:28 am

I don't own a Gordon but I did have an opportunity to purchase a started 4 year old female Gordon a year ago. Looking back I wish I had gotten that dog. Here's a couple nice photos of her. If these photos appear too big just right click on them and select "open in new tab".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Be careful in what your asking :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am

This is "Meg".

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:40 am

Sorry, this one is a reproduction. Best I could do. This is "Thunder" FT Ch. Got his title running against GSPs, Britts, etc. Also had AF placements (horseback pointer trials). This is the Gordon that judge Sherry Ebert called a "true AA Gordon".
He looked exactly the same backing (which came with it's own challenges).

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 am

Tall Tails

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Tom, I had to post a couple pics of Molly on this thread.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

Perfectly fine... those are nice photo's of her.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Perfectly fine... those are nice photo's of her.
Gordon Setter Guy from Boise. Think I met him at a trial at Boyce Corrals near Madras, Ore several years ago. Folks, this guy has some really nice Gordons!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Lady up in NW Washington has about the nicest Gordon I've ever seen. This is her dog on a bird. also Boyce Corrals near Madras, Ore. Wish I could remember the dog's name!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Met this guy in Eastern Wash at an Amer Fld Shooting dog stake. Love this first photo! Think the guy love's his dog? :-)

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Ran my LS in our first hunt test in December. Saw a couple of really nice Gordons at that event. Small and energetic. Different from the ones that a buddy of mine hunted with around here.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Many dog people discuss the visibility of white dogs vs black dogs believing that black dogs are generally harder to see. Granted there are times when a black dog pointing in the shadows may be more difficult to pick up...AND... depending on where you are hunting there may be much more shadow then open cover. And the inverse (More open areas than shadows) may also be true. Here's an example of the country I hunt in and a white and black dog both on point. Which one is easier to see?
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

I've had two terrific Gordons, but you've got plenty of pictures already. What you should understand if you're seriously considering one is that for a low-registration breed, there are a surprising number of "types". Not lines, but types. I've had an AKC Field Trial dog (though dual registered with the AF/ Field Dog Stud Book,which is another type) and a "Dual Dog" which is mixed FT and show type. Really a fine easy-training type, by the way, but with more bone and coat than the two FT types, though a lot less than show dogs.

Putting aside genuine show dogs, you won't go wrong with any of them, but it is worth considering. It's a wonderful breed, and they are much more protective and "one-man dogs" than the other setters,if it matters to you. They need to be house dogs.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Really nice, beautiful pictures and a credit to the breed, keep them coming! Just don't see much of them when hunting, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:14 pm

DonF wrote:Lady up in NW Washington has about the nicest Gordon I've ever seen. This is her dog on a bird. also Boyce Corrals near Madras, Ore. Wish I could remember the dog's name!

Ricki?

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Ricki is a VERY nice Gordon, for sure! Belongs to a delightful, dedicated lady (Janet) that has done very well with Ricki in trials. ...if that's Ricki? It's been awhile since I've seen Janet/Ricki.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Gordon Guy, I do see both dogs but the backing dog is harder to see for sure. The more white on my dogs the better but I do see your point (no pun intended). Still, color alone does not a good dog make. :wink:
I would love to see your Gordon working!

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Thank you Don.

Maybe with any luck I'll see you again this year. I've got another one that will do well.

Featherfinder, anytime.

steve223

Post by steve223 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

I got my first Gordon this summer. He is 7 months old and so far he has been a lot of fun.. very willing..... learns fast..,.. really good prey drive..... he can be a touch hard headed but not as bad as my last 2 GSP. Overall he has been a joy to have around .He is very vocal and will tell you what he is thinking. I think I will try to find another Gordon pup.
Steve

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:34 am

IMG_8339.JPG

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:36 am

IMG_0947.JPG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Ricki is a VERY nice Gordon, for sure! Belongs to a delightful, dedicated lady (Janet) that has done very well with Ricki in trials. ...if that's Ricki? It's been awhile since I've seen Janet/Ricki.
Ricki is the name of the dog and Janet doe's own her and run her. Have an awful time remember name's anymore. Something you might consider is most good field Gordon's have thinner less feathered tails and slighter build with less feathering. Since getting my Red I have paid closer attention to the build of field dogs. Heavy Reds I think get that way by being crossed with AKC Irish. I'm awful certain that is happening!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Thank you Don.

Maybe with any luck I'll see you again this year. I've got another one that will do well.

Featherfinder, anytime.
You are more than welcome. The photo of Ricki is a year or so before and she
s the first Gordon that ever turned me on. Those of your's were next! Watching you's break away, I though you might be in for a placement. Than with a purpose right form the start! Couldn't believe that I was seeing a Gordon do it again.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Someone mentioned the dog being visible in the field. Stormy is my first ever dark dog and I had a terrible time learning to spot him out there. Squirt or Body or any of my old Shorthairs and Pointer's stuck out like a beacon! The dog's I've always had a hard time with were mostly dark and heavy ticked, roan. Roan's were even harder to see than dark dog's.

But with practice on your part seeing dark get's a lot better. The roan dog's just blend into any cover they manage to get to!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Visibility??? That's what they make blaze orange dog vests for! :D

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:49 pm

This is why I personally like white for my applications.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Visibility??? That's what they make blaze orange dog vests for! :D
Or beeper collars on "locate" or "point only" mode. Or GPS. And there are more reasons to have a Gordon than visibility.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm

And then it snows!

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:13 pm

I love my white dog too but black shows very well in lots of settings.
IMG_0926.JPG

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Sorry, this one is a reproduction. Best I could do. This is "Thunder" FT Ch. Got his title running against GSPs, Britts, etc. Also had AF placements (horseback pointer trials). This is the Gordon that judge Sherry Ebert called a "true AA Gordon".
He looked exactly the same backing (which came with it's own challenges).
I do remember that dog, handed by Ugo, filling up the country at Solon Springs in 2006.

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 pm

DonF wrote:Lady up in NW Washington has about the nicest Gordon I've ever seen. This is her dog on a bird. also Boyce Corrals near Madras, Ore. Wish I could remember the dog's name!

The gal's name is Janet Grunbok and the dog is named Ricki.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Seen a dog named Buck that was a decent Gordon.........................Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 pm

dan v wrote:

The gal's name is Janet Grunbok and the dog is named Ricki.
Yes it is! Whitethorn Farm, Bainbridge, Wash. She trains Drassage Horse's.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 pm

Hmmmm.....Buck and Ricki should throw some nice pups.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 am

Mountaineer wrote:Hmmmm.....Buck and Ricki should throw some nice pups.
They did....two litters. :D

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am

You are correct about Thunder Dan. ;)
You could run that dog up against any breed - horseback. Then his owner would take him woodcock hunting locally. He didn't have a bad bone in him. Too bad that blood wasn't perpetuated.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 am

Featherfinder wrote:You are correct about Thunder Dan. ;)
You could run that dog up against any breed - horseback. Then his owner would take him woodcock hunting locally. He didn't have a bad bone in him. Too bad that blood wasn't perpetuated.
His sire Blade Runner was the real deal as well, and he is carried down on some dogs. Jim Di'Amico owned Pal Joey with Marianne Goodwin (Hacasack Gordons) and Jim campaigned BR (or Buddy) for the owner. Of the two, Jim liked BR.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:45 am

cjhills wrote:Seen a dog named Buck that was a decent Gordon.........................Cj
Thanks Jerry. Buck has been a phenomenal dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:01 am

No need to thank me Dan. A good dog is a good dog. Seen Ricki a couple times also. Nice dog. Never seen any of the pups that I know of, but I don't spend much time in the show and field trial world. I would expect decent dogs.
It seems with all setters the really good ones are very impressive. But there are a lot more pretty good pointers and GSPs...........Cj

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 am

Stylish dogs. I have already purchased light colored furniture, car interiors, carpet and clothing though so I guess I am sticking with Brittanys :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am

dan v wrote:
Featherfinder wrote:You are correct about Thunder Dan. ;)
His sire Blade Runner was the real deal as well, and he is carried down on some dogs. Jim Di'Amico owned Pal Joey with Marianne Goodwin (Hacasack Gordons) and Jim campaigned BR (or Buddy) for the owner. Of the two, Jim liked BR.
You should post a bunch of photo's of those dog's. Don't get to see enough good one's on the internet.

clearcutkennel

Post by clearcutkennel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Clearcut Kennel getting it done on wild birds!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201908 ... 2e38e5.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Not to take away from this post, I would just like to say that I have a white GSP and a solid black GSP. Generally speaking I can most of the time see the black dog way before I can spot the white one. Doesn't make any difference whether it be summer foilage or winter snow. All the black ones I have had has been real easy to spot.