What's your dogs command words

Frank

Post by Frank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 am

I'm starting to train my new pup and wandered what command word you use. I've heard some weird ones with the clame its so their dog doesnt get confused with anybody else talking or with another dog. So I was wandering what some of your word for your dogs commands were.

reba

Re: What's your dogs command words

Post by reba » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 am

good dog
whoa
here
easy
dead bird
hunt'em up
OK

they could care less about someone else's opinion

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:40 am

Sit (train the dog that this also means stay) Also trained to a whistle
Down (train the dog that this also means stay)
Here (Also trained to a whistle recall) This is the most critical that has to by 100%, have to train with distractions to protect the dog when in the field....
Heel
Fetch
Give
No (means stop what you are doing)
Leave It
Dead Bird
Quite (means stop making noise)
Kennel (get in it or jump up on the stand or whatever)
One point I learned is DO NOT give your dog a name that you use to call them that sounds anything like a command you use... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Timewise65 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 am

Frank wrote:I'm starting to train my new pup and wandered what command word you use. I've heard some weird ones with the clame its so their dog doesnt get confused with anybody else talking or with another dog. So I was wandering what some of your word for your dogs commands were.
Since you said its a Draht you must teach it German :D

Whoa for "stop" and "stay" alternately. Some people might say this is a problem. I haven't ran into it practically speaking. I'm still working on "whoa broke" training.

Sit

Here

Heel

Down (lay down)

Kennel

"Ok Go" is a release or what I do when I send him on a track after getting him feathers or blood

Fetch

"Out" means drop the bird.

"load Up" means get in the car/side-by-side/truck

The only time there is ever any confusion is if I have to hand him over to my wife or vice versa. Not an issue at all practically speaking, he looks at us confused and one of us shoo's him to the other person.

Practically speaking, when in a hunting situation (or test or trial) is the dog going to get confused? NAVHDA, up until the invitational, is a one-dog test. I think the JGHV is one dog all the way. Hunt Tests and Field trials see dogs braced, but you aren't liable to confuse the dogs since there is minimal command giving.

Also, my dog generally isn't going to listen to anyone but me, beyond a "sit" or a "come" command for a Milkbone.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Setter lives in the house.

wait - I go down the stairs and out the door first.
whoa
no noise!
hurry up ( peeing outside)
heel
here
down
kennel
easy....

good girl!

leave it!

I said no!

PS You're asking all the right questions Frank. What programme have you decided to go with?

Frank

Post by Frank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks, so far were just doing simple conditioning like in How To Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 pm

The commands words might vary depending on the type of dog; Pointer? Flushing?

HOWEVER the three most important ones are: WHOA! WHOA! and WHOA!

Silly maybe, but it amazes me how many times I've I have said that with a response; "yes I know that" but their dog does not!

Best wishes

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm

whoa
come
to me
leave it
easy
no
down
go/lets go
ungawa
no bird
dead bird
find it
pee
ata girl
drink

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:24 pm

Hey.
To me.
Whaddya doin'.
You're such a pretty boy.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Frank wrote:I'm starting to train my new pup and wandered what command word you use. I've heard some weird ones with the clame its so their dog doesnt get confused with anybody else talking or with another dog. So I was wandering what some of your word for your dogs commands were.
I'm somewhat different (well there is an understatement) ! lol
I teach the behaviour then introduce the word command . Sort of like ..If the dog sits on it's own or I wait it out ,I say ''Sit'' . I kinda like that stuff , because I think the dog Kinda get's the ''word'' , rather than having to learn the language :) .lol
Mind You , I usually don't use many words of English language because most of the dogs are trained and sent over seas. So I just stick to sign language and conditioned sounds and pictures . I'm ''Dumb''.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 am

I have pretty much the same commands as above, only regret or thing I would change is "ok". I use it as a release command to get out of the truck, or to go out a door or anytime he is free to go. I hunt a lot of waterfowl & he doesn't break, sometimes "ok" is used in conversation after a volley & of course Jase hears it as a release command & off he goes to get the birds. With my next dog the only release command will be his name, for everything.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 pm

If you do not teach your dog to enter a car/truck as a two-step process, first to put his paws up on the frame of the door (I use"paws")and secondly to enter the truck while being boosted from behind (I use"kennel") rather than just jumping in from the ground, you may greatly regret it as he gets older. CCL/ACL tears can be career enders or expensive to repair. And if he's a big dog and you're a lady or not a particularly strong man or have a bad back, you can get him into the truck more easily if he's sick. This will solve or prevent a number of possibly serious problems.

And (see above from hunt 24/7), my release word is "free".

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:07 pm

HUNT 24/7 wrote:I have pretty much the same commands as above, only regret or thing I would change is "ok". I use it as a release command to get out of the truck, or to go out a door or anytime he is free to go. I hunt a lot of waterfowl & he doesn't break, sometimes "ok" is used in conversation after a volley & of course Jase hears it as a release command & off he goes to get the birds. With my next dog the only release command will be his name, for everything.
HUNT 24/7....good comments...I too am a waterfowl guy! I used to use the dogs call name for release, call name usually are build after their registered name...only problem is the dog is doing something bad at home or whatever people are likely to yell at the dog by name...making him release...??!1 My newest dog is trained to release on 'Back' command. Our trainer started us using it, not sure why but works well for her and us.....

Good luck................I saw a dozen ducks flying over this morning, it is awful early, but I like it! I live in Missouri.....

IANative

Post by IANative » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Here
Good boy
Whoa
Easy
Okay
Fetch it up
Sit
Dead bird
Hunt 'em up
Leave it
Go potty
Ah ah ah (instead of "no")

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Hunt 24/7 that's the exact meaning for ok with my dogs. I'm a loaner when it comes to hunting but I can see that potential problem when hunting with others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Whoa: Voice, Whistle one tweet, Ecollar one tone
Go on: Voice, Whistle two tweets, Ecollar Two Tones
Here: Voice, Whistle three tweets, Ecollar 3 tones
Heel: Voice
No, or Pssst: Voice, Ecollar vibration Means stop what you are doing, or thinking about doing and come to me.
Kennel: voice, for car, crate, house, kennel,
Dead Bird: Voice, means find the bird and bring it to me.
Good Boy/Girl: Voice
Up: Voice, I won't let them jump up on any one but me and only when I tell them UP!
Off: Voice, Off of the couch, chair, neighbors cat, porch, what ever
Turn: Arm to left or right

I mostly use the collar tones, so no yelling, whistling or beepers, no noise except the rustle of the dogs slipping through the tall grass.

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am

woof-let me out
arf--feed me
growl- do it now.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 pm

LOl Exactly. My JRTs other way is to stare at you! Stare at you and say nothing as long as it takes to get that bone.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:34 pm

No
Here
Sit
Over
Back
Dead bird
Leave it
Heel
Off- (meaning lay down)
Watch (get ready to watch for marks)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 am

Dogs know my voice and tone...I know the many looks they give me.....stuff gets done.