Llewellin Setter

kschemenauer

Llewellin Setter

Post by kschemenauer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm looking for some feedback on Llewellin Setters. I believe I'm coming to the decision that I'm going to be adding a Llewellin Setter within the next year. I just love there looks and believe overall that they fit what I'm looking for. I currently have a male French Brittany and think a Llewellin will compliment him well. I'm located in North Western WI, and looking for any feedback on breeders? Anyone have any info on Houdini Llewellin Setters? I've been to the kennel and chatted with owner, looks like a good set up and good looking dogs. Any breed insight or breeder feedback is greatly appreciated!

NEhomer

Re: Llewellin Setter

Post by NEhomer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 am

Check out this thread. I'm hoping I got the pictures posted correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=52464

I previously had two Brittanys and in retrospect, I wish they had been Llews. My setter is the most amazing dog I've ever owned. A sweetheart in the home and pure fire on anything that flies!

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:07 pm

I breed & hunted Lews for 12 yrs Before that I also Breed & hunted Brits loved both breeds but L had lots of lew owners that keep in touch with me and goot lots of prais on my puppys they are a loving dog that makes a great family dog as well as a great hunting dog I had to guit breeding I have gotton to old & my wife said no more puppys but we loved raising them & getting to know all there new owners .I am still getting calls from people wonting another puppy . My blood lines were mostly Blizzard with Bondu . I thank the Blizzasd gives them the most drive but Bondu is a commer line that naturely backs & retreves plus my line had some Windom & other lines but mostly Blizzasd & hondu IF I was looking for a dog it would be a llewellin Feild trailed Reg. there is lots of breeders on Llewellin Gun Dog Club or Llewellin breeders club

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:02 am

I have a llewellin from White Rock Kennels. He is everything that I wanted in a setter. He has a lot of run so he can get through the pine meadows to the cover. In the house he is quiet and an easy keeper. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for but I would talk to White Rock Kennels in Waco Texas.

kschemenauer

Post by kschemenauer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:23 am

NEhomer wrote:Check out this thread. I'm hoping I got the pictures posted correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=52464

I previously had two Brittanys and in retrospect, I wish they had been Llews. My setter is the most amazing dog I've ever owned. A sweetheart in the home and pure fire on anything that flies!

Great looking dog! I really love there look. Thanks for sharing and for the feedback.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 am

To add to one of the OPs questions on breeders - Are there any good lists of reputable breeders? I know the line is somewhat rare, but the Llewellin Setter Club only lists 3 breeders and the North American Llewelin Breeders Association only lists 6 - and some of them seem to be defunct. Seems extremely thin.
Last edited by Warrior372 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Llewellyn is not a breed but rather just a line of setters that date back many years to an English gentleman of that name. I think there are more breeders than they think but thy are outnumbered by other lines.

Ezzy

kschemenauer

Post by kschemenauer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Does anyone have any insight on Berg Brothers Setters out of Minnesota? They seem to have a pretty good reputation from what I read.

Leeza

Post by Leeza » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Yes, you can't go wrong there. Although they don't do Llewelyns I don't believe. Their line is more influenced by Skyhawk and Tekoa Mtn. dogs. They have beautiful, medium size working dogs that they put lots of time into.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:44 am

If you are looking for an English Setter by every meaning of the term then Berg Bros is the way to go. The Llewellin being a breed is a discussion that will go on for eternity. The breeding dogs that have the Llewellin moniker goes back to Mr. Llewellin and his dogs. The only registry that will register them as Llewellin setters I the FDSB. This adds to the debate. All other registries register them as an English setter. There are people that say they are a variety of English Setter and those that say they are a separate breed. Good Luck.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 am

Since I'm not a breeder, it's of little concern to me but I suppose the Ryman setter is also an offshoot of the English setter, no?

They're all beautiful to me.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:53 am

NEhomer wrote:Since I'm not a breeder, it's of little concern to me but I suppose the Ryman setter is also an offshoot of the English setter, no?

An off-shoot of the question above....are there any huge differences between a llewellin, ryman, and today's english. I know they are all english setters but any differences? Looking at photos the Ryman's look larger boned, today's setters look smaller with a lot more white.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 am

NEhomer wrote:Since I'm not a breeder, it's of little concern to me but I suppose the Ryman setter is also an offshoot of the English setter, no?

Out of curiosity I looked into that a little bit. Apparently George Ryman used English Setter hunting show lines for looks and Llewelin Field lines for hunting drive / skill. This is a quote from RymanSetters.com, "His dogs were originally developed using crosses of early show and field trial/Llewellin lines to create a distinct type of setter specialized for hunting." and "The field trial and Llewellin lines gave them a more athletic body and the conformation to make a hunting dog that moves efficiently through the covers.". It sounds like Ryman wanted a very traditional looking English Setter - head and coloration - with the hunting physique and athletic ability of a Llewelin. Nice website for info.

I found a long established Ryman breeder near me - Idaho - who has a few breeding stock dogs that are Ryman / Llewelin outcrosses. He said he did it for the Llewelin's general hunting characteristics.

In looking at a few different breeder sites for each line, it honestly confused me more. It seems like two different guys set out to accomplish more or less the same things with their breeding programs at different times. I apologize to the OP as this is not exactly where you wanted this thread to go, but hopefully you are finding the readers here useful.

kschemenauer

Post by kschemenauer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:44 am

I appreciate the conversation. I kind of took it off track as well from my original post. I believe I will be going with Berg Bros. seem like they are very well put together as a breeder and kennel.
Thanks again!

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 pm

You can't go wrong with a Berg Bros dog. You will be happy and I will be excited to hear the stories if your adventures.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am

You can do a lot worse than a Berg Bros setter. They are invested and their processes for breeding is overwhelming for most.
I have to chuckle about this whole Llewellyn thing. Most modern setters came from what was a line long ago. What you should be looking for is a good working setter from current lines that have proven wild bird working ability if you want a hunter. After that, you can call them Llewellyn or whatever you like.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 pm

the ryman setters is a biger dog than the field setters of today the smaller dog are built for speed to cover a lot of ground the rymans are a closer dog the lews are somewhere in between thats jusy my op. i know some grouse hunters that prefer the ryman setter but like i said thats just in the dogs iv seen and talk to owners there still all setters