Best Pants

wolski

Best Pants

Post by wolski » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:14 pm

I love my carharrts for busting through thorny brush but I hate that they gain 10 pounds as soon as I wade through the swamp or cross a creek. And yes I must get wet to get anywhere when I grouse hunt. So what are some better pant options so I dont have to lug around a extra 10 pounds of water all day but are still durable and to get me through 100 miles raspberry thickets each season?? The carharrts are great til thy get wet.

Garrison

Re: Best Pants

Post by Garrison » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Don't know if it would help with crossing a swamp but I like being able to wear a light pair of pants with chaps. I have two pairs light and heavy depending on conditions. If not too much cover which I'm guessing you don't see and snow that's not too deep a pair of gaiters is nice. Hard enough as I get older to climb hills without 10 pounds in wet pants.
Last edited by Garrison on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Most of the time I wear McAlister Wax Pants. Incredibly tough and extremely water repellent. They don't soak up any water. I do like them a lot, the only thing I don't like is when it's hot they are hot and when it's cold they are cold.

From time to time I will wear North Face Paramount Peak II Convertible Pants, they are nice for early season and for cover that's not extremely prickly. They work great for hunting sharpies. And they are nice to wear camping or during the off season of hunting. Plus, they zip off into shorts.

Late in the season, I mainly hunt in MN, I wear Columbia wool pants.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 pm

I wear Carhartt Upland pants and occasionally wash them in this Nikwax Cotton waterproofer. I am not sure what it will do walking through a swamp, but it sheds water pretty well once your pants get wet from the rain. http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/pr ... abricid=-1

This seems like it might be a better option - Otter Wax Favric Dressing. It is a heavy duty fabric wax that makes material waterproof. It seems pretty easy to apply. I might try some myself as it starts to rain and snow more here. https://www.otterwax.com/collections/wa ... c-dressing

They used to have a really basic survey on their website you could fill out to win a sample of it. They might still do that if you just want to try it.

wolski

Post by wolski » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, they dont make or sell Mcalister pants anymore. Not much on the market for waxed pants except filson and $200 for filson is probably not going to fly out of my wallet anytime soon. The chaps certainly have their niche but not at keeping pants dry when wading. The otterwax and nik wax look very practical and affordable. I will look into that more. Thanks for all the comments.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

wolski wrote:Well, they dont make or sell Mcalister pants anymore. Not much on the market for waxed pants except filson and $200 for filson is probably not going to fly out of my wallet anytime soon. The chaps certainly have their niche but not at keeping pants dry when wading. The otterwax and nik wax look very practical and affordable. I will look into that more. Thanks for all the comments.
If you don't mind used items, check ebay, they currently have 284 pairs of upland pants.

wolski

Post by wolski » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

I just ordered a litre of nikwax tech wash and a litre of nik wax cotton proof all for $56. See how this works. Plan to proof 2 pants 2 shirts and the hunting vest. Worst that happens is i am out $56 if it doesnt work. Ive used nik wax products before to revitalize and waterproof my ocean kayaking gear and the results were good as promised.

Regarding a different wax process........this wax process
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tin-Clo ... ing-Pants/
is similar to using otterwax but maybe less expensive if you have the time to gather the material.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:00 am

I go the chaps route with light pants or jeans underneath depending on the temperature. Add short lightweight waterproof hiking boot, if it's damp, or muck boots if it's wet or raining. That keeps me dry, and if it get's hot I take them off & throw them into my coat.
https://danshuntinggear.com/chaps_five-star.html

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I've had good luck with light weight synthetic pants, and chaps. When it gets cold I wear polypro longjohns. Stays warm when wet and doesn't soak up water.

desperado213

Best Pants

Post by desperado213 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Look into rail riders pants. They’re lightweight, quick drying, and tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shellottome

Best Pants

Post by Shellottome » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Duluth fire hose briar pants is what I wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wolski

Post by wolski » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Shell , I was eyeballing those firehose pants. Are those water resistant? and How long does the water reistance last before it needs to be reconditioned.

Shellottome

Best Pants

Post by Shellottome » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:45 pm

I've never treated mine after the repellent wore off

Shellottome

Best Pants

Post by Shellottome » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 pm

They don't get heavy like jeans when they're wet and most of all they're extremely comfortable. I've owned mine for 3 years and they hold up well.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:59 am

I guess I forgot to mention this in my original post, but the Carhartt upland pants come with what they call Rain Defender Water Repellent coating on them. I just put them in the wash with the Nikwax every now and then. Also, it looks like the base of the Duluth pants is 100% cotton and the Carhartt's are 60% cotton and 40% polyester. I have no idea which is better for water resistance, but one might be better.

DennisCanfield

Post by DennisCanfield » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:42 am

Well, I personally prefer to use Patagonia Torrentshell Pants, The material repel the water better as compared to other fabrics I've used before. Also, any pants made from advanced fabrics like Gore-Tex and NeoShell may work well for you.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I have used Filson chaps and they are very good until you sit down on an wet log.
I am currently using Outback Oilskin Overpants ($79 I think). They are not as tough as Filson (single tin) but offer complete coverage. Good value as I see it.
Of course, the nice thing about over-pants is that when you head into town for some grub, you peel them and still look presentable.....well almost. :?

wolski

Post by wolski » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:07 am

Of course, the nice thing about over-pants is that when you head into town for some grub, you peel them and still look presentable.....well almost. :?
you must not be hunting in the right area. If we head into bar or cafe we dont fit in unless we look like weve been hunting or working. So having mud or paint on your clothes is mandatory for good service 8) Of course having wet clothes doesnt make for a comfortable meal.