Scare with Stormy

DonF
GDF Junkie

Scare with Stormy

Post by DonF » Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 am

Was in Sportsman's Whse Friday and when I came out there was a bright orange notice on my windshield. From the cop's. they saw the door on my Bronco wide open and Squirt was out. He went right back in when they told him to. Stormy was gone! Looked for a good half hour then got a phone call. He'd went across Hwy 97, busy four lane, and was caught by a guy working at an irrigation company. Have no idea how he got across the hwy. Called the number left on the notice and talked to the officer They had seen the car with the door wide open and Squirt got right back in for them. Have no idea how the door got open, it was locked. Windows were down far enough to keep Stormy from squeezing out, he does that! Thanked them and let them know I did find Stormy. They think one of those people that scream about dog's left in the car probably got the door open. They could have easily reached to wing window, got it opened and then the door. I would love to catch one of them doing that! Everything is ok with both guy's, thankful for that. I was really getting worried.

luvthemud

Re: Scare with Stormy

Post by luvthemud » Sun May 21, 2017 9:54 am

Eek! Glad it all worked out! I don't know of someone worried about the dogs wellbeing would just open the door? Does the store have surveillance cameras?

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Definitely not in the best interest of the dogs letting them out with a lot of car traffic around. Glad things worked out in the end.
I've always worried about leaving the windows down part way and locking the doors. Easy to reach in and unlock the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Now what kind of ...............would open the door ? Unbelievable. All things are possible though. I had a dog stolen at a skeet championship - never to be seen again. Still bothers me.
VERy glad you got your dogs back.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:59 am

I am really glad this story had a happy ending, you were very lucky!

I would never leave my dog or my kids alone in a car! Not just because of potential heat issues (not a problem in your area this early), but they are exposed to any clown who wants to mess with them or some clown smashing into the rear of the car.....plus in the USA the cops will ticket anyone who they see doing this....

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Timewise65 wrote:I am really glad this story had a happy ending, you were very lucky!

I would never leave my dog or my kids alone in a car! Not just because of potential heat issues (not a problem in your area this early), but they are exposed to any clown who wants to mess with them or some clown smashing into the rear of the car.....plus in the USA the cops will ticket anyone who they see doing this....
:roll: It's not illegal to leave your dog in the car in Oregon and you're not going to get a ticket unless the dog is in some sort of distress. If you don't leave your dog in the rig that's your choice but don't make up non-existent laws in some flailing attempt to try and scare others into complying with how you think they should do things. http://pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-news/214 ... gs-in-cars

Glad the boys were alright Don!

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue May 23, 2017 7:05 am

Sure glad that you found your dog!
Now it is time for a few pictures, haven't seen any new ones for a while! :D

asc

Post by asc » Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Gertie wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:I am really glad this story had a happy ending, you were very lucky!

:roll: It's not illegal to leave your dog in the car in Oregon and you're not going to get a ticket unless the dog is in some sort of distress. If you don't leave your dog in the rig that's your choice but don't make up non-existent laws in some flailing attempt to try and scare others into complying with how you think they should do things. http://pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-news/214 ... gs-in-cars

I agree with you Gertie and glad for Don getting his dog back safe and sound.

I got one EP that loves the truck, he is also a bit anti-social.
I pity anyone that would try to rescue him from HIS truck.. :mrgreen:

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:16 am

asc wrote:
Gertie wrote:

I agree with you Gertie and glad for Don getting his dog back safe and sound.

I got one EP that loves the truck, he is also a bit anti-social.
I pity anyone that would try to rescue him from HIS truck.. :mrgreen:
Well Gertie and ASC............The potential for 'ticketing' does exist in all States, as you acknowledge, if the officer feels the dog is in distress....that of course was not my main point! My main point was obviously, as Gertie experienced, Some "clown" messed with his dog and only through pure luck was the dog not killed or lost!

If you do not want opinions good and bad, why post something like this....? Some people live in a private world where they think they know it all........................most gun dog people would NEVER leave their dog(s) locked up in a car, period! My proof of that is "Pure common since"! :x

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 am

Timewise65 wrote:
Gertie wrote:

Well Gertie and ASC............The potential for 'ticketing' does exist in all States, as you acknowledge, if the officer feels the dog is in distress....that of course was not my main point! My main point was obviously, as Gertie experienced, Some "clown" messed with his dog and only through pure luck was the dog not killed or lost!

If you do not want opinions good and bad, why post something like this....? Some people live in a private world where they think they know it all........................most gun dog people would NEVER leave their dog(s) locked up in a car, period! My proof of that is "Pure common since"! :x
Where would you suggest leaving them when you have to do an errand and they are in the car?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Meller wrote:Sure glad that you found your dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm

And Stormy. Had a good one of my Missy and don't know what I did with it .

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Hey time wise, let it go, I'm pretty sure I know where your coming from. And I know where the other fiend's are coming from too! Gertie know's I wouldn't put my dog's in a bad situation. Thanks Holly!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 24, 2017 1:38 pm

DonF wrote:
Meller wrote:Sure glad that you found your dog!

Absolute beauties . One would definitely be heartbroken to lose those. ( With a very territorial JRT in the car, nobody would get near my car. :) )

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed May 24, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for sharing the picture's, those are some nice looking dogs! Don't get to see the red dogs in my part of the country. :(

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Where would you suggest leaving them when you have to do an errand and they are in the car?
[/quote][/quote]

HOME! Or if traveling I plan my trips when I take my dog(s) so that my only stops are to get gas or stop at a, dog friendly, hotel for the night. :mrgreen:

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu May 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Timewise, I don't see how you possibly think that leaving a dog(s) in a secured or locked vehicle is cruel? I'm sorry but I just don't get it?
I could offer that hunting my bird dogs can bring with it a greater risk. Perhaps I shouldn't do that either?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu May 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Timewise, I don't see how you possibly think that leaving a dog(s) in a secured or locked vehicle is cruel? I'm sorry but I just don't get it?
I could offer that hunting my bird dogs can bring with it a greater risk. Perhaps I shouldn't do that either?
I understand where he's coming from. Get's hot out, even with window's down, you could kill your dog. I had my old Otis with me all the time when I pulled RV's to S. Cal. Once I got to the hot weather, the air conditioner ran 24/7. Whenever I had to stop, Otis got the air. If he hadn't, there's no doubt in my mind it would have killed him. But there are people out there that will jump you even if there is no danger for the dog.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Thu May 25, 2017 7:46 pm

I had a similar issue last year in Seattle. I walked up on a guy opening my truck door after smashing my wing window in order to "save" my dog. It was a 50 degree day, the windows were partly down and I was gone 8 minutes. Still I thought then that I needed a better way to secure the pup. I have my setter with me at all times, except once when they wouldn't let him in the operating room at the hospital.

So now when I leave him in the truck, he's in a crate ( if he's loose in the truck he frequently steps on the door locks and unlocks them) cooled by a Swampy.net space cooler and a cooler of ice. The truck is equipped with an alarm system with GPS tracking ( to recover the dog; the truck is insured) and a temperature/security alarm system which notifies me by phone if the temperature in the crate gets too high or if anyone smashes a window or opens a door. The alarm system announces to intruders that their incursion will be met by an armed response, which is me and my 9MM. It's also programmed with a timer. If I don't reset the alarm in two hours, the system calls me, my emergency contact and anybody else I want, so that if I can't come back ( I'm old and obnoxious so I could drop or be assaulted at any time) somebody will rescue my pup.

These alarm, cooling and monitoring systems used to be extremely expensive but I put this whole thing together for $350 plus $9 a month for cell service. Protects my dogs, my truck and my guns.

Great looking pups.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 26, 2017 7:24 am

I get it...the heat and all that. I drive a p/u truck and hardly ever take my dogs in the cab with me. My dogs travel in crates anyway, for their safety AND mine or others either in my vehicle or sharing the roads. I know, I know, you love your dogs more than I do so they jump around from side to side and front to back of your vehicle. I get it, even though I think there will be more laws forthcoming to address that as more and more folk and their dogs end up dead on our highways.
Some common sense has to apply here. Don't park in a sunny area! Don't take the dogs if you have a small car and can't be assured of a shady, secure spot to leave them in for a SHORT period of time. Think, plan your outing. Take someone with you to leave in the car with them. Crate your dogs (and still don't leave them in a sunny area for a prolonged period). If it's 90+ degrees, you need to consider that when travelling with your dogs....no?
You shouldn't leave your dogs in these compromising situations in the first place. Is common sense not common any more?
Have my dogs been in a car in hot weather before? Yes, albeit rarely but I did the due diligence - found shade - windows down marginally - vehicle running with air cond. on and LOCKED - RAN into the store and back out (no, it wasn't a big box store that could have a long line-up) - etc., etc.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:28 am

Featherfinder wrote:Timewise, I don't see how you possibly think that leaving a dog(s) in a secured or locked vehicle is cruel? I'm sorry but I just don't get it?
As DonF told us he almost lost his dog by leaving it locked in his vehicle! Not my words...his! "
"You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink" So I give up here too.....

Good post by Featherfinder and tekoa...............they in fact "Get it"!

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Fri May 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I have no problem leaving my dog in the truck with the windows cracked, depending on the day, but after dealing with some over cautious busybodies in a parking lot once, I just keep a kennel in the back now and keep the dogs there when I go in somewhere. Not an option for every car, but it you have a pickup its easy enough.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Timewise/GrayGhost, you obviously understand and try to do the due diligence but I guess what we are overlooking are those do-gooders that have no reticence throwing their McDonalds bags and coffee cups out the window as they drive down the road but think that busting your car window somehow makes them concerned citizens. Don't be fooled by the façade.
Another aspect of those "special people" that we get to share this world with is this: Some low-lifes could see busting into your vehicle only to take valuable items from you but when caught/witnessed in the act, rebound with, "Those poor dogs...."
Even when you do the right thing, you could end up dealing with issues. We do the best can. The main thing is that we pull together as fellow bird-doggers in these situations, whenever the opportunity arises.