how/when do breeders confirm pregnancy?

luvthemud

how/when do breeders confirm pregnancy?

Post by luvthemud » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:39 pm

Just curious....how do breeders confirm that a breeding took/worked? wait a certain amount of time after the cycle ends and just go to the vet??? are there physical changes in the dogs appearance/behavior that "tip you off"?

deseeker

Re: how/when do breeders confirm pregnancy?

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:57 pm

If I want to know for sure, I go to the vet 28 days after the last breeding and have him do a repo test(around $50 for the test and $26 office charge). Usually I can tell because most of my females will cut way back on their food(they will only eat about 1/2 what they normally do) about 1 month into being pregnant. I had one who used to try and hide and make nests. I had one who used to start dropping milk about 3 weeks before whelping. If it is a real big litter I can see her getting real fat. I can usually feel the pups moving around inside of her about 7 to 10 days ahead of whelping. Most of my females have quit eating completely the last 2 days before whelping. Good luck figuring it out :D . Once you figure out what her routine is, she will do it for every litter she has. That is JMO on my personal dogs

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:38 am

When they start to show, most people know their dogs and when something is different. Or going into the vet and getting an ultrasound done. Ultrasound is usually only like $100. Ultrasound is the only sure way as some dogs go into false heats and false pregnancies.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:06 am

About 28-30 days post breeding, our vet does a Relaxin test to confirm pregnancy.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 am

cool, thanks for the info!

been waiting on a breeding for a while now and am getting close. breeder told me that the cycle started on Jan 17th...so it sounds like i got a little bit yet.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:54 am

Heat cycle started so you have a little bit yet??? Sounds like you missed this one.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 am

luvthemud wrote:cool, thanks for the info!

been waiting on a breeding for a while now and am getting close. breeder told me that the cycle started on Jan 17th...so it sounds like i got a little bit yet.
If she is not in standing heat by now chances are she is not going to breed. It is not impossible but highly unlikely..........Cj

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:31 am

Most females will breed somewhere between day 10 & day 15 of their heat cycle(at least that is when my females breed), after that you might of missed it. After breeding, whelping will be around 63 days later. Good luck on your litter. :D

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:07 pm

SCT wrote:Heat cycle started so you have a little bit yet??? Sounds like you missed this one.
I am not the one breeding....just one of the people with a deposit down on a pup. Was just wondering when i may be getting the call to say that the breeding worked. I don't know much, if anything, about the process, so just trying to figure out how it all work.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Same boat here - with a call that the heat started about Jan 12. So "standing heat" can range from day 6 - 22 yes 22 I have seen it... but is usually around day 12 ish. Then ultrasound confirmation is most common and around day 32 post breeding. So long end would be 50 isn days after heat cycle started. short end 38 days. My lab breeder is not expecting to call until puppies are born, so he knows what genders and how many. So much waiting :)

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:56 pm

mountaindogs wrote:Same boat here - with a call that the heat started about Jan 12. So "standing heat" can range from day 6 - 22 yes 22 I have seen it... but is usually around day 12 ish. Then ultrasound confirmation is most common and around day 32 post breeding. So long end would be 50 isn days after heat cycle started. short end 38 days. My lab breeder is not expecting to call until puppies are born, so he knows what genders and how many. So much waiting :)
ugh...i know! i placed my deposit quite a while ago and it has been torture! so many things to do to get ready but I want to wait to make sure that the breeding takes and that I am guaranteed a pup!

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 am

Ultrasound at 30 days, and often times you cannot tell a thing prior to that unless you really know your dogs. Especially on a first timer.

A sure sign. Image

Bekahtsa

Post by Bekahtsa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 am

Ultrasound or x-ray? Done early, there is a chance of re-absorption.
Cheers...
Con