Best Vest?

pointerdog
Location: Idaho but currently on assignment in Canada, plus traveling overseas

Best Vest?

Post by pointerdog » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:58 am

I've worn out err outgrown my old Barbour hunting jacket, now looking at strap vests. any real world experience with the following makes?
Badlands
Tensing
Wing worx - sales have been suspended for now
Orvis waxed cotton
Aoa Q5 or centrfire

Sent from my iPhone A11490cc32/12.9.16 10:57:27 am

IANative

Re: Best Vest?

Post by IANative » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:49 am

A guide buddy of mine who's either hunting or training about 300 days/year really likes his Tenzing. I used the new ALPS Extreme Upland vest this year, and it is a tremendous upgrade from my old Redhead strap vest. The only thing I'd change about it would be to make the shell pockets location-adjustable. They line up for me at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock; I'd rather have them at 10 and 2.

Here's the vest, and it can be ordered thru PF and/or QF, too:

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/ex ... ame-vest-x

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:34 pm

I've used quite a few different ones. I love the quality of Badlands, but can't get one of their packs to fit right, which sucks cause I have three.

When looking for a new upland pack, I wanted room, place for a water bladder, and a good fit.

I decided on the Tensing. Price was right, good reviews, and it had the features I wanted.

I'm glad I did. It's the best wearing pack I've ever had. Rides like I'm not wearing it. I'm definitely gonna check out more of their products.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:38 am

The legendary Gold Medalist Chukar Fighter Fidel Chukastro hunts with WingWorks

MGIII

Best Vest?

Post by MGIII » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:14 am

Q5 Centerfire. Great design, very comfortable, and versatile. Everyone I know that has one loves it. I know I won't go back to anything else once I got mine.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm

I have had a Wing Works best for 6 or 7 years. Don't know how the new vests are but suspect they are even better.

Very durable, mine still looks new (except for the dirt, feathers, dog slobber and blood) big pockets, very comfortable, especially with large loads. I carry a lot of water for the three dogs I hunt with and find the vest handle and balances the load easily. Game bag easily accessible. Game bag doesn't have any drain holes, which would be nice for cleaning.

Vest carries my e-collar transmitter, GPS, walkie, knife, pistol, whistle on straps easily accessible.

Only downside is that vest has very little orange color. WA has requirement for 400 square inches of orange visible from all sides. So I have to wear an all orange long sleeve shirt to be legal.....

Wish mine would wear out to give me an excuse to buy a new one.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I currently own 2 Filsons 1 Cabelas and a Wingworks
(yeah I know , who needs 4 vests right ?? )
I reach for the WW every time I hunt
I use the Filson whenever I train and it serves as a back up when I hunt

You note that WW has suspended sales ? Their webpage says nothing about suspended sales , just curious

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:31 pm

I use a vest by Bucks Bags. It doesn't swing around and stays tight to my body when I'm in places that scare me. I don't need that weight from all those birds ;) and water swinging around, messing with my balance in high places. Also, Lots of space and compartments.

http://bucksbags.com/

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:I use a vest by Bucks Bags. It doesn't swing around and stays tight to my body when I'm in places that scare me. I don't need that weight from all those birds ;) and water swinging around, messing with my balance in high places. Also, Lots of space and compartments.

the best out there in my opinion.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 pm

X-3 on Bucks bags. Been hunting upland for 50 years. Bucks is the best. I also use mine when trialing in Nstra. Really excellent fit and support. My son is 5-7 with a large beer belly. That is a hard fit. I bought him a large then shortened the shoulder straps. Has two locations for waist strap and a chest strap. I was so fussy about vests that i used to design and sew my own. Wish i had found Bucks years ago.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:51 pm

I hunt chukar mostly and, as such, I try to keep thing pretty minimal (just carrying my own weight up those hills gets harder every year). With that in mind, I really like the Filson mesh game vest. I like the mesh in the back, especially when it's warm out. It has two decent sized pockets on the front, a big pocket in the back for birds and a gallon water bottle, and two small side pockets that are just big enough to hold a bottle of water for me and first aid kit, fencing pliers, and some snacks. I can do 3-4 hour hunts with it pretty comfortably. It looks like the one with the blaze orange trim is out of stock most places right now but should be back in sometime in early 2017. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Filson-r ... 391116.uts

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:30 pm

I love my tenzing vest, however, if you're a die hard pheasant hunter who kills 3 or 4 at a time they will be a tough fit. I posted a review on here at one point, you can probably still find it

Bigdon

Post by Bigdon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Wing works is a superior product that is custom fit. I wont use anything else. Especially like the load distribution, the water bottle holders and the easy loading of birds. Shell pockets are deep and perfectly placed for easy access and no spill.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:51 am

P&PGunsmith wrote:
Gordon Guy wrote:I use a vest by Bucks Bags. It doesn't swing around and stays tight to my body when I'm in places that scare me. I don't need that weight from all those birds ;) and water swinging around, messing with my balance in high places. Also, Lots of space and compartments.

Does the bucks have water bottle holders? I need to carry a 70 oz bladder for me and two 32 oz bladders for the dog for early season hunts.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm

mtlhdr wrote:
P&PGunsmith wrote:

Does the bucks have water bottle holders? I need to carry a 70 oz bladder for me and two 32 oz bladders for the dog for early season hunts.
No water bottle holders that i know of. it does have the big bladder. i bought two 32 oz. bottle holders that clip to the belt on each side. i can then haul the 72 oz. bladder, the two bottles and more if i want to carrry some in the bird bag.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Love my wingworks. Been using it for the last 7 or 8 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Troy08er on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timnichols

Post by Timnichols » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 am

I have used carhartt vest for 30 years I like the front load feature wear like iron.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Wing Works.

Living water

Post by Living water » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:07 pm

I just ordered the Quilomene Q5 Rimfire. I currently have a Filson and I hate it. Its hot, it smells and is jus to basic for my style of hunting. I was close to getting the WW but have been told its a bit heavy.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Filson strap vest....w/o blaze orange or the fabric treatment....it is simple and swell.
I also have an older rusty duck, or some such name, full vest for pheasants .....it is as plain and honest as a good ol' Sterlingworth.

I considered a WWorks once but I want a vest that shows some wear and I might even have to repair.
I have little need for any expedition level of vest or any desire for what the Jones family currently deems fashionable or de rigueur.

Buy what works.....change up as necessary.

JJT

Post by JJT » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Wing works! Hiked over 300 miles under it. Love it!!!

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:19 pm

+1 on the Q5 vests. I bought the Q5 Rimfire this season and love it! It's just a little bit smaller than the Centerfire. You can tell the vest is designed by guys that do allot of bird hunting. It really gets the weight off of your shoulders and onto your hips, like a fanny pack. They're very well built and reasonably priced for what you get. They've got several different types of vests that are geared towards different hunting conditions. One of the best things is there is a ton of accessories available to customize your vest for what you like. Different shell pocket options, water-bottle holders, day packs etc.

http://www.q5outdoorproducts.com/upland-vests/

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:26 am

Hate my wingworks vest. There's no doubt it's well made. I used the Vest from July through December this year. Hiked many miles in it in Montana, MN. & Wisconsin.
My issues with it is no matter what or how I adjusted it I could not get a proper fit, or wt. distribution out of it. Made my back ache every time I wore it.

Will be looking at other brands. Was very disappointed with the Wingworks fit.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm

fourtrax wrote:Hate my wingworks vest. There's no doubt it's well made. I used the Vest from July through December this year. Hiked many miles in it in Montana, MN. & Wisconsin.
My issues with it is no matter what or how I adjusted it I could not get a proper fit, or wt. distribution out of it. Made my back ache every time I wore it.

Will be looking at other brands. Was very disappointed with the Wingworks fit.

What vest you using?