Perfect start clinic help.

Jonjhawk

Perfect start clinic help.

Post by Jonjhawk » Thu May 26, 2016 12:40 am

I'm going to a perfect start kennel and am looking for advice and any tips. First how long of a check cord should I buy? Second, what functions does my e collar need to have. And any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Perfect start clinic help.

Post by Sharon » Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 pm

I wouldn't buy anything you hear what is recommended at the clinic. Learned this the hard way.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu May 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Check cord is best used as an extension of your arm. About all anyone can use well is 20' to 25'. Otherwise the cord is always hanging on the ground. To enforce any command you give while holding it you'd first have to get the slack out of it. Hard to do with 25' unless your doing it a lot. Don't get one with a handle sewed in, get 3/8th or 1/2" inch hard woven nylon. The more it get's dirty the stiffer it should get. It should be tied onto a snap with a bowline knot and the other end a simple over hand knot. When the dog is dragging it, un-tie the over hand knot so it won't catch on anything. By using a stiff hard woven nylon, the stiffness will keep the cord from wrapping around anything and catching your dog. a still check cord tends to bounce off brush where a soft cord won't and will tend to tie itself up.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu May 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Don't know anything about Perfect start clinics .
I know that a longer lead is required for a Border Terrier than a deer Hound.What you do with the lead or the dog is probably more important with that start.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu May 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Jonjhawk -

I just checked perfection kennels website. They have lists of the things you should bring and what they have available for loan.

Check it out.

They said a leash and a checkcord. I would get a six foot leash if you don't already have one and, as mentioned, a stiff, half inch or thicker check cord about 15' in length.

They said they have loaner e-collars. I would see what they have and how they use it before I dropped the coin on one.

Hope you get a lot out of the seminar. Watch intently and listen close.

RayG

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu May 26, 2016 6:23 pm

You will find the tightly woven cord as described at Lion Country supply. I have not viewed Perfect Start lately but think only a check cord is used during Perfect Start.

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri May 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Went to a clinic two years ago. It was great. I had already purchased a PermaTack check cord, turned out to be same one Hann uses. 25', $25 Great cord, doesn't soak up water, doesn't pick up burr, doesn't kink and slips easily through any brush including sage brush. Still burns hands if you don't wear gloves.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 pm

The permatack cord is great. Slides easily around things and doesn't soak up water. It's what Jon uses. You should have a collar that has continuas stimulation. Take what you have and Jon will help you figure it out. If you don't own a collar yet, I would use one of Jon's to see how you like it. The more your dog knows before going the more you will get out of the clinic. Jon is very good at reading both dogs and people. He sees things that most would not pick up on. If you have any questions take them with you. I guarantee you will come away from the clinic a better dog trainer and handler. I have never been around Jon where I haven't learned something.

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sun May 29, 2016 8:16 am

Give the hasp on the check cord being sold a try with gloves on... a lot of hasps are to small and you have to take your glove off to hook up to dog collar.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Mon May 30, 2016 3:21 pm

Be ready to listen and to work. They will have loaner collars, leashes and checkcords as well as leashes and checkcords for sale.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon May 30, 2016 8:09 pm

perfection kennels sell permtack check cords at the kennel buy one from them, you need a e coller that has continuous stimulation most use a tritronics pro 100 but are not made any more, I see a few using the pro 550, if you can find a used pro 100 I would buy one, don't worry to much they are very helpful, have fun

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 am

Pre- Requisite: It would be a big help if you have studied the Perfect Start and Finish videos. You can order them now directly from us.
Your dog:

Should have all vaccinations up to date.
Should have been acclimated to the shot gun ( you can shoot birds over your dog)
Be trained to here or come
Be started on "Whoa", this will save some time but not required
Collar conditioned to "Here/Come". If not, at least used to wearing a collar while working or hunting.

What to bring:

Food, pans, crate, drying towels, and all other supplies for your dog
Check cord and /or leash, Choke chain (we have loaners)
Electric collar, must have continuous and variable stimulation (we have loaners)
Blank gun (we have loaners)
Lawn chair
Tick repellent
Sunscreen / hat
Rubber boots, grass will be very wet each morning
Rain gear

What we provide:

We will provide lunch each day
Water /lemonade or tea, morning coffee
Training birds - $6.00 per quail
Our Equipment and Grounds
7 to 8 hours of instruction Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday - Clinic will end at 3:00pm

Start time:

8:00am Friday
Saturday, Sunday, Monday, start times will be decided by group consensus
Be here rain or shine!

Motels:Cameron, MO (lots of dining choices, Cameron is 20 minutes to Kennel)

Best Western Acorn Inn, 816-632-2187 (allows pets, be respectful of this establishment and clean up after your dogs!) Click here to access them online.
Econo Lodge, 816-632-6571 (allows pets, be respectful of this establishment and clean up after your dogs!) Click here to access them online.

Gallatin, MO (closer but less choices for dining and is 5 minutes from Kennel)

Sandman Motel, 660-663-2191 / 2192 (does NOT allow pe

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Buy a checkcord from Permatack - they last forever and it is what Jess and Jon will recommend for you. If you are buying an e-collar, get a Garmin. But they will have a collar that you can use, don't worry about getting one if you don't already have one.

I was there 3 weeks ago, they might have an extra permatack checkcord (their good friends own that business - Mary and Kirk). I'm planning to help at this weekend's clinic as well, so I will likely run into you there!

Most important, bring an open mind and be ready to enjoy learning how to train your own dog.