How cold is too cold?

grant
GDF Junkie

How cold is too cold?

Post by grant » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:56 pm

How cold is too cold for dogs to stay outside without heat?

raven

Post by raven » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:45 am

My dog stays inside with us (he's spoiled) but he dosn't stay out long if it gets close to 0 when he is outside

sochuck

Post by sochuck » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:00 am

like grant, all three of my dogs stay inside when the weather sucks. i can't say what is too cold, but if its too cold for you then its too cold for them. now if your out with them and they are active then all is well, but to leave them in a kennel all day where thay will tend to be a bit sedate in activity just aien't right.
IMHO

TheHooch

Temps

Post by TheHooch » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:42 am

In Georgia the weather is a little better so dogs can stay out a little longer. My working dogs all come in when the temps go below 45. Now that is just me some people say higher some say they can stay lower. To me it is whatever you comfortable with if you are going to have to be out there a while.

Hooch

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:21 am

Depending on where you live, if the dog is an outside dog, they become accustomed to the temperatures every season. I just picked up a GSP that had been an outside dog, very course, thick hair. She's since been in here, shedded all the course hair and is as soft as silk (of course hopping in the shower with the kids all the time helps, doesn't it? :D ). Otherwise, my GSP's are in the house with me and as long as the wind isn't a big issue, they hang in the yard every day in the winter time...even on the days when it's only 15-20 out. In the field is a different story...they're moving all the time, they can take the colder temps. As a general rule, if it's not real windy, they can be outside in temps. down to freezing.

seadog

Post by seadog » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:28 am

As was said , depends where you live. You can't take an inside dog and throw it outside in frezzeing temp when it's not conditioned for it (dog will frezze) , just like you can't take an outside dog indoors after it's been conditioned for the outside ( dog overheats).
I own 2 dogs, one a house dog and one a kennel dog. My kennel dog is out doors 24/7 , even in -30 temps . The key is to build proper winterized dog houses .

ab576

Canine Care

Post by ab576 » Sat May 01, 2004 9:02 pm

As long as you have a properly constructed dog house, not much bigger than the dog, dry bedding, fresh water, not ice, and a good run. It's healthier for the dog to be outside although whoever said being inside will ruin they're nose is full of it.
A dog can get dehydrated faster in the cold than the heat. His metabolism is up burning calories for heat.
Please don't chain up your dog, build him/her a pen in a good location.
Extra food in cold weather unless your animal is obese.
Don't forget about him/her out there. 2 or 3 heavy training/exercise periods a day. If you don't have the time get someone else to do it for you.
Your dog thinks your the best there ever was! :wink:

ladylabtrainer

Post by ladylabtrainer » Sun May 02, 2004 4:18 pm

All my dogs live inside and they did when we lived in Illinois because of the cold winters. Our friends in Illinois that have outside dogs also have heated kennels. We now live in Texas and I asked a couple of friends who have outside dogs and they bring them in if the temps are below 40.