Dropping on point

asc

Dropping on point

Post by asc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:42 pm

I have a 3 year old EP that has just started dropping on point this past season.
He's not gunshy, he's not really shy about anything.
I never shot a bird over him till he was 2 and he did great just this year he started to crouch lower as I walked by ans eventually sank to his belly (tail still high and intensity still strong).
Last few weeks I have been planting birds in launchers and bringing him in(he has a great nose and points when he hits the scent cone, sometimes 30 yards or so), if he starts to drop I launch the bird and and grab the cord heeling him off.
I don't say anything.

If he does right, I launch the bird and shoot the blank and release him to run, I praise him when I bring him back..

This method seems to work about 50% of the time and I have noticed that he looks at me when he's about to drop..
What have I done to cause this and can it be corrected?
I don't trial and I won't get rid of the dog but I feel like I failed at some point (got two others with no problems like this)
Any input would be appreciated..

Art

OhioVizsla

Re: Dropping on point

Post by OhioVizsla » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:04 am

That happened to me too. There was a bird in a launcher that was pointed close by my dog. I popped the bird out and it must have spooked him, as he started laying down after that. Sounds like he's launcher shy, so quit using it. If the dog is solid you don't need it anyways. Mine quit laying down in a couple of weeks after not using it.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:24 am

Too much pressure coming from somewhere, the head slinging is a big signal.
I'd lose the launcher.
If the dog crouches on a bird, try ignoring him. Treat that point like a non-event.
Careful how you go in to flush. Approach from the front/side, like at 2or 10 oclock. Also, be very conscious of not whoaing or cautioning your dog. Sometimes we get so focused that we talk without even realizing it.
Don't overdo birds for now, get one good point and call it a day.

Good luck, it sounds like your dog still loves birds and wants to point them, so I bet you will be able to bring him around.

reba

Post by reba » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Dropping while on point may come from his breeding!

Years ago some wanted their dogs to drop on point, so they could cast a net over the birds :D

No, this is not a joke.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Sounds like anticipation to me. Does he ever go down or start to if your not close by or going around him? Maybe only when you start around? Get away from him, don't walk past him. Then as soon as he start's to turn his head toward you, pop the bird and leave him alone. Doesn't sound like he's chasing. In the end, most problem's are simple problem's, figuring them out is tuff!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:18 am

Don is on the right track methinks. Vary the birds up - get his attention back on the birds and not on you. Use multiple launchers per set up if you have them. Keep him on his toes.