HELP! My 9 week old Brittany is so full of energy!

NJWilliamson

HELP! My 9 week old Brittany is so full of energy!

Post by NJWilliamson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:28 am

Obviously I know that Brittanys are very high energy dogs so I expected that Oliver would be full of energy. However, I was hoping I could channel that energy into productive activities like walks and fetch and eventually training for bird hunting. Right now we are up to three walks a day. One of the big problems is that he does not seem to be catching on to walking. The whole first half of the walk he does not want to walk at all. He just sits down and smells things and doesn't want to move. All of a sudden in the same place each time it is like a switch flips and he starts walking just fine. I have no idea what is doing on. Also he does not seem to be responding well to training with fetch. Some advice here would be great. I just generally want to know what is the best way for me to teach him to walk and use a lot of his energy on his walks. And what is the best way for me to get him enough exercise each day that he wont terrorize my home and bite me and my wife. Thanks for the help!

reba

Re: HELP! My 9 week old Brittany is so full of energy!

Post by reba » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:56 am

The problem with your 9 week old puppy, is that it is a 9 week old puppy!

It would be nice to have a fenced in area for your puppy to ram around in, so it can spin in circles, sniff at nothing, and dig at nothing and bark at nothing.

A 9 week old puppy should be confined to your property until it has had ALL of it's shots...................................

Enjoy the pup, because it is only a puppy once.

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:58 am

Do you have access to wildlife management areas. Hunting has slowed, and a swamp is a great place to tire a pup. Brits are high energy, and the only way to keep sane is to burn the energy.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:02 pm

At only 9 weeks old you haven't even seen energy yet. Give it another 4 months....

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:20 pm

There is an eleven year old Britt at the dog park I frequent, that the owners are down to twice a day with. :)

If you can always try to throw in mental stimulation of some sort, that is where the sniffing is a good thing.

x2 on finding puppy sized hunting area just to fart around in. Oddly enough even if you live in a city there could be a safe/legal place to be off leash that resembles hunting ground.

I found that with my dog and near britany energy level Large Munsterlander a leashed walk around the neighborhood was near useless for energy burning and for me that is a 6Km loop.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:46 pm

He is what we do with pups in the K Nine headstart program https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1537593702

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Sounds to me like you're in real trouble. The pup is only 9 WEEKS old and you don't know what to do with him? K-9, Arlette, is very versed in Britt's, they're her breed. Listen to her. Your next step should be to get a good training program and figure out how you are going to train the pup and the steps you'll take to get it there. What you've done in effect is to buy a car without knowing how to drive it.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Exercise is good but little amounts at this age.. heavy cover may not be good for the joints at such a young age.... obedience training....

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:32 pm

My next question didn't the breeder of your pup give you any advice on how to handle problems or issues or offer for you to call them for any advice?

I go over a whole bunch of stuff with my new puppy buyers from whoa games at dinner to how to deal with the mouthy pups

I am much better at talking about it then trying to write out long explanations. So feel free to contact me 520.705.2584.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:51 pm

I just find this funny because I've felt the same way with all my French Britts and now I have a four month old. Don't worry....it doesn't get better lol. Lots of excersize

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:11 pm

kninebirddog wrote:My next question didn't the breeder of your pup give you any advice on how to handle problems or issues or offer for you to call them for any advice?

I go over a whole bunch of stuff with my new puppy buyers from whoa games at dinner to how to deal with the mouthy pups

I am much better at talking about it then trying to write out long explanations. So feel free to contact me 520.705.2584.

That is so great of you. Take her up on this NJ . She absolutely knows what she is doing. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 pm

NJWilliamson wrote:Obviously I know that Brittanys are very high energy dogs so I expected that Oliver would be full of energy. However, I was hoping I could channel that energy into productive activities like walks and fetch and eventually training for bird hunting. Right now we are up to three walks a day. One of the big problems is that he does not seem to be catching on to walking. The whole first half of the walk he does not want to walk at all. He just sits down and smells things and doesn't want to move. All of a sudden in the same place each time it is like a switch flips and he starts walking just fine. I have no idea what is doing on. Also he does not seem to be responding well to training with fetch. Some advice here would be great. I just generally want to know what is the best way for me to teach him to walk and use a lot of his energy on his walks. And what is the best way for me to get him enough exercise each day that he wont terrorize my home and bite me and my wife. Thanks for the help!
Have a google search of an xray image of a 9 week old puppy of any breed?
The joints are not exactly as you would see them from the outside?...9 weeks old ?...so what do you expect from the superior Human?
Brittany is no different from any other 9 week old.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Just so you know, biting is not an energy thing. It's a training thing. You need to nip that in the bud soon.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:01 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:Just so you know, biting is not an energy thing. It's a training thing. You need to nip that in the bud soon.
I agree 100% they do not grow out of behaviors they grow in to them

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:43 am

Sorry. I read this post and literally busted out laughing. It's 9 weeks and you're worried about too much energy and biting?! Haha my Brittany pup is now 16 weeks old today, so 4 months, and if you think they're crazy at 9 weeks....buddy just wait. You haven't even seen what all heck those little things can raise! My pup chews on everything in sight. It's part of it. I just got back from a 3 day hunting trip and I let him run and run and run for as long as I could, got him home, exact same amount of energy. Wish I could say it gets better but it doesn't!

Oh and I wouldn't bother trying to train too much on whoa or fetching now. Only thing I want Merle to do is stay with me when I take him out into a field, not pee all over the house, and not jump on furniture. Other than that, I'm just trying to enjoy the moments he's asleep!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:50 pm

CowboyBirdDogs wrote:Sorry. I read this post and literally busted out laughing. It's 9 weeks and you're worried about too much energy and biting?! Haha my Brittany pup is now 16 weeks old today, so 4 months, and if you think they're crazy at 9 weeks....buddy just wait. You haven't even seen what all heck those little things can raise! My pup chews on everything in sight. It's part of it. I just got back from a 3 day hunting trip and I let him run and run and run for as long as I could, got him home, exact same amount of energy. Wish I could say it gets better but it doesn't!

Oh and I wouldn't bother trying to train too much on whoa or fetching now. Only thing I want Merle to do is stay with me when I take him out into a field, not pee all over the house, and not jump on furniture. Other than that, I'm just trying to enjoy the moments he's asleep!
LOL wait till the 6 or 7 MONTH mark.... sleeping will cease to happen.

ccbass

Post by ccbass » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 am

congrats on the puppy- use a check cord and take you dog for a walk where he can explore and do puppy stuff- just let him have his exploration walk everyday the check cord is so you can catch him not leash walk, you can do that later as you start yard work.
on this walk go to a safe place and let him follow you around and don't say anything to him, he will sniff- taste- chase everything he see's.

getting a bird dog has been the best thing i have ever done- life changing! :D

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:19 am

He will calm down in about 10 years