Cut on pad?

randomnut

Cut on pad?

Post by randomnut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:06 am

20151128_162503.jpg
My dog cut a pad yesterday evening. I cleaned it out with a light peroxide solution, then some triple antibiotic and wrapped loosely with Coban. Should I call a vet today?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randomnut

Re: Cut on pad?

Post by randomnut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:12 am

Sorry folks, that pic came out useless. You can still see the cut, but not very well. The cut is on the center pad on back left. It peeled about a 1/8" off. It bled pretty good before we cleaned it up and bandaged it. It didn't affect his running or movement .

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:22 am

Probably too late to stitch it up now. Maybe super glue it up if it is still prone to bleeding if not just keep it clean.

Broken glass?

Grant

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:39 am

I have no idea what he cut it on. When I take him to run, it's normally a hour to an hour and fifteen minutes of him just running as fast as he can, through the woods, fields, and briars. He doesn't know when to stop. I only found it when he loaded up, and there was blood on the back seat. I'm figuring it was a sharp rock, but I could be wrong. I couldn't get any local vets to answer last night.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 am

rsz_file.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Ouch!
If I remember my vet said to wash the foot wounds with Salt water to help them heal.

Does not look too bad; pretty hard to seal up tissue that is that thick.

I would put a lewis rubber boot on him for a few days that seems to keep the wound cleaner and they don't put at much pressure on it

Grant

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:29 pm

I'd say 3 weeks before you put him down without a boot. I always try to hunt them after 2 and start them bleeding again. Been wanting to try the lewis boots up in the lava rock with the bubbles. It just tears my dogs feet up.

Guess that's up in rocky terrain like I hunt, probably less in areas with less rock

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:51 pm

AS Greg said about boots and time . Too late for stitches - salt water soaks 2-3 times a day. You may have to use the dog cone to keep him from licking it open every day.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks folks.

Unfortunately, quail season starts Tuesday. Guess I'll get on the phone in the am and get some boots coming. I'll start with the salt water today.

Thanks again.

BirdyBoris

Post by BirdyBoris » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Vet tech here. Pads are tricky to suture as its easy for dogs to get to them and pull sutures out. You want it to dry out. I always keep skin glue around and antiseptic scrub like clorhexadine. It can only be glued shortly after. Do not use peroxide as it will cause the skin to become necrotic. they always end up re-opening but it will heal. I would keep clean,Cone for shame in the house to prevent licking and keeping moist,Cover when outside with a boot. My gsp cut his on a rock at the beach this summer. Healed in a week. If you are out hunting I would get some Quick stop in case t opens up. If your dog is lame I wouldn't push it and let it heal. If not its prob superfical

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:38 pm

I just went through this with my dog, although his was much bigger and deeper. I just kept it clean and put polysporin on it and vet wrap. He healed up just fine. Looks worse than it is.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:57 am

BirdyBoris wrote:Vet tech here. Pads are tricky to suture as its easy for dogs to get to them and pull sutures out. You want it to dry out. I always keep skin glue around and antiseptic scrub like clorhexadine. It can only be glued shortly after. Do not use peroxide as it will cause the skin to become necrotic. they always end up re-opening but it will heal. I would keep clean,Cone for shame in the house to prevent licking and keeping moist,Cover when outside with a boot. My gsp cut his on a rock at the beach this summer. Healed in a week. If you are out hunting I would get some Quick stop in case t opens up. If your dog is lame I wouldn't push it and let it heal. If not its prob superfical
Agree with the above, was Vet tech 10+ years, since changed careers. Those sorta abrasions / cuts happen quite frequently out here in AZ if you hunt em. A lot of us use Tuf-foot (http://www.amazon.com/Tuf-Foot-8-oz/dp/ ... 2470955011) as a preventative, Some super glue, Lewis boots and off they go...

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Started the saline rinse today, and ordered some Lewis boots. Thanks for everyone's advice, and to Greg for fixing my pic.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Any time. Feels good being helpful.