Tick spray

diplomat019

Tick spray

Post by diplomat019 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:06 pm

I give my dog monthly drops but also spray prior to hunting. Few questions

1-what spray do you use that seems to work well?

2- the spray i use has a strong smell. Does the smell affect the dog scenting abilities?

3- spray im using smells too strong. I dont mind it until the dog is inside and the house smells terrible. Are there any good ones that might not smell that strong but still delivers good results.

Thanks!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Tick spray

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Is your monthly topical solution not working? If so I would switch to something else.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Exactly. Your monthly Advantix 2 or Nexgard should do the job fine.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:03 am

Even with those, my dog gets a flea bath after every hunt.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:24 am

I have used the Seresto collar this year, and I could not be more impressed. It has worked better than any topical solution that we have used on this dog or previous dogs.

a couple of weeks ago, we hunted with a friend and his golden retriever. after we got home, my friend texted me and said that he had found at least 30 ticks on his dog. I had done a check on my brittany, but I went and rechecked her. I found two, one was attached but appeared to be already dead, and one was crawling in her fur.

If ticks are really bad, I think you can use a collar and a topical, but I would check with a vet before doing that to be sure. we have only be using the collar and have had great results.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:30 pm

thanks. i use a spray just to be cautious. but this weekend i found a ton of ticks on my dog. gave him a good tick bath so hopefully thats the end of it.

I'm curious if spray that has a strong odor could affect the dogs scenting ability?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm confused. I may see ticks on my dog when we get home, but I know the Advantix 2 is killing them fast . They won't embed. I've seen none survive. Wouldn't a tick bath / spray be giving the dog a double dose of persticide?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:11 pm

I would think that living and training in S.E, Texas where we have no "off season" for fleas and ticks was a problem but I have not seen a Tick on one of my dogs for several years. Heck, I cant remember the last time I gave my dogs a tick bath or removed one.

I must be lucky because I worry about Scorpions, Cotton Mouths, Copperheads and Gators more than fleas or ticks.