Truck Dog Box Height

Dhaughs

Truck Dog Box Height

Post by Dhaughs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Not sure where to put this, but I have a question. I'm looking at truck boxes and I've settled on a local manufacture, but I'm curious about interior height. It seems like about 18" inside is pretty common for upland dogs. I have the option of about 17.5" or 21.5", price difference as well. I plan to measure my dogs tonight. Not worried how high it sticks up in the bed of the truck, that's what side mirrors and backup cameras are for.

I am sure this is a personal preference issue, but how high do you usually go? I'd think you'd want it high enough for the dog to be able to stand up and turn around in but not much higher, they don't need to stand while driving. Thoughts?

I am sure I am overthinking this.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Truck Dog Box Height

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:00 pm

What size dogs? You are right, they need to be able to just turn around.

Dhaughs

Post by Dhaughs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Neil wrote:What size dogs? You are right, they need to be able to just turn around.
22-23 inches standing measured at their backs. That answers my question :) guess i was overthinking it and should have just waited till I got home and measured :D

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:42 pm

How far/long are your travels with dogs in the boxes? 18" is a low height unless you have a smaller breed like brittany, you are better off going with the taller box (better a little large than a little small).

Dhaughs

Post by Dhaughs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:25 pm

I ended up ordering a custom height. Most truck rides aren't far, but some will be. Wanted to make sure there was room for other dogs that might come along too. Can always put a false ceiling in there, hard to make it taller :).

It helped just posting this up to make me think.