Single Shot 20GA

dandrus1022

Single Shot 20GA

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:45 am

What do you guys think about hunting grouse and woodcock with a single shot 20GA? Its nice and light and easy to swing but i didn't know if i would be at a disadvantage with only 1 shot? I have two 12GA pumps but they are one the heavier side. Let me know what you think

33Scout

Single Shot 20GA

Post by 33Scout » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:26 am

Just think before there were pumps and semi autos guys were using single shots. Sure you won't be able to follow your first shot but that doesn't mean you are at a disadvantage. Just means you really have to pick your shot. I hunted with a single shot for a few years.

mnaj_springer

Re: Single Shot 20GA

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:32 am

First gun I hunted birds with was an old single shot 20 ga. Even as a kid I killed birds, but boy did it kick. It was almost too light in the sense that it did absorb much of the recoil. It was also when of those guns with no safety and you had to cock the hammer before shooting, so it taught me a lot about muzzle safety.

I really enjoyed this trip down memory lane :D

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:59 am

I'll 2nd everything said so far as I hunted with a single shot 20 ga for several years once I stumbled upon upland hunting, even took a few deer w/it back in my deer hunting days.

Of course you are at a disadvantage with no follow up shot available but it will also force you to take better shots. I learned how to wingshoot w/my single shot 20 ga..it was frustrating at times but it ultimately made me a better shot and taught me a lot. Still have the gun & love the darn thing along with the memories..it's such a pc of crap gun that it's laughable but it has a permanent spot in my safe to this day...matter of fact, I think I'll pull the 'ol thing out and use it for Woodcock medicine later this wk.

That gun taught me that you have to pick a bird/pick a shot..I'll never figure out why you can't just aim in the middle of a large Quail covey and bag a bird or two..take it from me, it doesn't work :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:10 am

For grouse and woodcock, may I suggest going just a tad lighter... I'd think about getting a a 28 ga. There is virtually no kick, even with the lightest of weapons.

Neither bird takes a lot of killing and the way the shot come out of a 28 ga., if you are on target, it's goin' down if it is under 35 yards. if you are not on target it will likely be a clean miss.

The fact that shells are expensive will be mostly irrelevant. If you only shoot one at a time, a box will last a while.

Just a thought.

I bought a 28 ga. O/U and it is an absolute pleasure to carry around. It kills stocked pheasants, over points, dead, just dead.

RayG

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks for the advice everyone!

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:38 pm

This is crazy! Take the pump.
My dad gave me a Stevens single shot for my first shotgun.
It had to be the cruelest thing he ever did to me. Lol. That thing kicked like a mule. And I never could shoot that thing worth a darn.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:02 am

greg jacobs wrote:This is crazy! Take the pump.
My dad gave me a Stevens single shot for my first shotgun.
It had to be the cruelest thing he ever did to me. Lol. That thing kicked like a mule. And I never could shoot that thing worth a darn.
lol..stop the madness :lol:

I would also concur w/Ray (although it has little to do w/this thread and OP's q)

A 28 ga makes for a fine set of tubes for WC & Quail..can't speak for Grouse

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:06 am

I thin everybody should use a single shot. Accept me of course..................Cj

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:15 am

A single shot is fine for deer or turkey but it's sometimes a long walk to put up a grouse. Quite a drag I would guess to watch one fly away while still in range.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:42 pm

NEhomer wrote:A single shot is fine for deer or turkey but it's sometimes a long walk to put up a grouse. Quite a drag I would guess to watch one fly away while still in range.
True. But I can hardly recall a time when a grouse or woodcock gave me an opportunity for second shot. Then again a second flush may happen.

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:39 pm

I have fond memories hunting with an Ithaca M66 20 ga. Still have that gun and it still kicks like an old plow mule.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

My kids all started with an old bolt action without the magazine so it was a single shot 20 guage. They and now grandkids are still starting that way at about 10 to 12 years old. depending on their mental maturity but none of them have ever complained about the gun kicking. Personally I find they all kick whan shooting paper but to this day I have never felt a gun kick when shooting a bird. I assume they still do but most of it seems to be in your head. Think about it and it will.

Ezzy

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:56 pm

My kids had complained a bit about starting with a single, but then I tell them about the single I started with no recoil pad and no forearm ! I can’t say how many times I got bit by that forearm bracket. Sure made me appreciate my first pump gun.

As for kick, our H&R is chambered to fit 3.5” 12 gauge. Those shells in a 4.5LB gun that is an experience , when we bring buddies shooting clays we do our best to slip one in without them seeing to check how well they are holding the gun. (not youngsters, but folks big enough to take the hit and the joke)

It’s a step up in style vs the pumps, for hunting over a dog, not a double but halfway there.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Not very often is it that you get a second shot at a Ruffed Grouse or a WoodCock, at least a serious one. A single shot is fine. I have killed many Ruffs with one.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Even though I would never hunt with a singe shot I'll ask this.
Which gun do you regularly shoot. Which gun do you shoot the best.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Can you do it? Of course.... would I if I wanted to be effective? No. Now hunting isn't about killing, but let's all be real if a bird is handled properly (especially a grouse) you would want to take the bird for the dog. And that would be the icing on the cake. A grouse taken on the wing from a true point from a dog you raised yourself. Now I'm a guy who hunts with a benelli legacy which is an auto loader so take that for what it's worth haha.