any advantages of one over the other? leaning toward female for smaller size

s223196

Re: male or female gsp?

Post by s223196 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:49 pm

forgot to mention it will be living in the house

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:06 am

Heat cycle would be the most difference, if spay or neuter then really don't matter. (marking in house with male) JMO

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:11 am

As hunters it just doesn't matter. There are differences but huge swings from one extreme to the other for each. It's more about the genetics. And even then there are big differences from one pup to another in the same litter. Don't neuter at all and don't spay till at least 2 years if at all. This is one time you may not want to listen to your vet if he suggests altering at a young age. And many do.

s223196

Post by s223196 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:20 am

thanks for the input. didn't know if one would behave better in house or not. This is a huge commitment, just trying to get all info I can

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:32 am

It's a shorthair. Some are hard to live with some not so bad. Some have an off switch some don't. You might want to find a litter from parents that are more calm. If you want calm in the house don't buy a pup from parents that are wired really tight. There is a big swing in shorthairs. Take your time and find the litter that is right for you. All have a lot of energy. Train some manners and enjoy.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Gender makes no difference whatsoever. Some people just prefer one or the other. What's between their legs does not affect what's between their ears.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:17 pm

I've had both males and females. If you plan to have to dog in the house I prefer females (spayed). They just seem to be easier to live with. Also with females we can have plants and scrubs in our backyard. With males they would pee on everything and kill it. About the only plant we found that would tolerate the urine were Day Lillies. Gender does not determine hunting ability but genetics do. Good luck with your choice.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:I've had both males and females. If you plan to have to dog in the house I prefer females (spayed). They just seem to be easier to live with. Also with females we can have plants and scrubs in our backyard. With males they would pee on everything and kill it. About the only plant we found that would tolerate the urine were Day Lillies. Gender does not determine hunting ability but genetics do. Good luck with your choice.
My plants seem to be doing great, maybe because I have lots trees :lol: However my lawn looks terrible were ever the female pees when it does come back it is a very deep green; soil must be lacking ammonia :wink:

My suggestion to the OP would be get one of each then you will get twice as many birds.

Grant