Those who worm a dog I need advice

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:24 am

I read in a thread somewhere about using ivermectin to worm a dog and some were using the paste for horses in small doses. I bought a tube of zimecterin gold to use but it states it can be fatal if used on dogs. Please advise.

DougB

Re: Those who worm a dog I need advice

Post by DougB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 am

It's for horses only. The warning is there for a reason. I generally believe in warnings. It's on the package, probably because somebody killed their dog with it and tried to bring as legal action. It's not just ivermectin.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/zimecterin-gold.html
ZIMECTERIN® GOLD (ivermectin/praziquantel) Paste has been formulated specifically for use in horses only. This product should not be used in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:56 am

Ok so where would I buy ivermectin or what should I buy? I went to the pet/feed store and this is what they said to get for ivermectin.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:26 am

We are using Ivermectin for heartworms. It will control some others also but you need to buy a regular wormer made for dogs to get rid of all of the different ones you need to control

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:38 am

Yes I did know it was for heartworms. I am just trying to figure out what I should get.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 am

Ranger351 wrote:Yes I did know it was for heartworms. I am just trying to figure out what I should get.
You can buy feeder pig Ivermectin at farm supply stores. How ever it comes in a 50 ml bottles way more than you need for one dog. Some people use horse wormer but I am not familiar with the brand or dosage. It would be much cheaper..........................Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:47 am

cjhills wrote:
Ranger351 wrote:...You can buy feeder pig Ivermectin at farm supply stores. How ever it comes in a 50 ml bottles way more than you need for one dog..... It would be much cheaper..........................Cj
Yes.......I found there was a cost break-over for non-otc heart worm medications and...that was not for one dog...but, each individual should do the math.
Keeping the stuff cool or reckoning the time to use 50ml or getting the dosage correct can also be realities.
Message boards can ignore some realities in suggestions.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:19 am

I worm my dogs with Sageguard liquid goat wormer ( fenbendazole), 5ml/10lbs for 3 days. It gets everything but whips and a species of tapes ( I can never remember which, sorry). Repeat the worming in about 10 days.

Ivermectin, the cattle injectable, dosed at 1/10th cc/ 10lbs is my alternative, for rounds and hooks as well as a HW preventative.

The Safeguard is about $119 for a quart but you can buy much smaller bottles ( we have multiple dogs). The ivermectin is $40-50 but lasts for a long time. Make sure you check the expiry dates for long shelf life. Even if you wind up tossing some, it's still a lot cheaper than others.

For tapeworms I buy FishTapes from Amazon. It's praziquantal, the same as Droncit. I get the larger dose tablets for convenience.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:25 pm

shags wrote:I worm my dogs with Sageguard liquid goat wormer ( fenbendazole), 5ml/10lbs for 3 days. It gets everything but whips and a species of tapes ( I can never remember which, sorry). Repeat the worming in about 10 days.

Ivermectin, the cattle injectable, dosed at 1/10th cc/ 10lbs is my alternative, for rounds and hooks as well as a HW preventative.

The Safeguard is about $119 for a quart but you can buy much smaller bottles ( we have multiple dogs). The ivermectin is $40-50 but lasts for a long time. Make sure you check the expiry dates for long shelf life. Even if you wind up tossing some, it's still a lot cheaper than others.

For tapeworms I buy FishTapes from Amazon. It's praziquantal, the same as Droncit. I get the larger dose tablets for convenience.
Many do the same, they also use combiotic to combat simple infections and give their own vaccinations. But we are not veterinarians and are not giving advice. It is up to you to determine what is appropriate for your dog. I will say if I only had one or two dogs I would go to the vet.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:57 pm

I have been using the zimectrin paste monthly on 5 to 8 dogs for 25 years. My dogs have never had heart worms or an adverse reaction.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:23 pm

Ranger351 wrote:I read in a thread somewhere about using ivermectin to worm a dog and some were using the paste for horses in small doses. I bought a tube of zimecterin gold to use but it states it can be fatal if used on dogs. Please advise.

If you want to know if you can use Zemecterin Gold on your dog the short answer is:

It depends on just what breed of dog you have.

Ivermectin, in the proper dosage level is quite safe for all breeds and is an effective heartworm preventative. The proper dosage level for heartworm prophylaxis is positively miniscule. As I recall the dosage for a 50# dog is 273 micrograms of ivermectin.

Ivermectin can indeed be fatal at the higher dosage levels found in horse and cattle products...to specific breeds of dogs... herding type dogs, collies, border collies and such.

For pointers, GSP's and most other hunting breeds, it is generally quite safe. If you have a mixed breed dog... well, you never know.

Praziquantel is given for tapeworms and think that is about it. I don't know the appropriate dosage for dogs offhand, but I'm sure it is out there on the net.

FWIW - I have been giving my dogs(pointers) Ivermectin at a dosage level of 1mg/10 lb of body weight...for thirty plus years now and have not had a single issue. No fleas, no ticks, no heartworms, no problems.

On a couple of instances over the years, I did notice what appeared to be whipworm infestations. Those required a separate course of treatment using fenbendazole to eradicate. Whipworms are a real PIA(no pun intended) to get rid of completely.

RayG

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:44 pm

I buy my heartworm preventative (ivermectin) here: http://www.heartwormprevention.com/ Might be a cheaper elsewhere, but this works for me.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:41 pm

I have been using Ivermectin 1.87% paste (for horses) for years and never had any issues. It's weight based dosing and has a very high margin of safety. For my dogs 55-75 lbs, it ended up being about the size of a small garden pea.

I’m going to focus on dogs from here on out since they were involved in 282 of the 318 potentially toxic ivermectin exposures reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center during 2008–2009. Typical doses for ivermectin in dogs are:

6 ug/kg for heartworm prevention

300 ug/kg for treatment of sarcoptic mange

400-600 ug/kg for treatment of demodectic mange

Non-sensitive breeds generally need to be exposed to more than 2,000 ug/kg before significant symptoms develop, but the potentially toxic dose in MDR1 positive individuals can be as low as 100 ug/kg. Take note that the incredibly low dose used for heartworm prevention is well below the toxic dose even for even the most sensitive dogs.

SOURCE: http://m.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/20 ... ctin-29671

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:00 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442152603.116191.jpg
1/2 Ml per dose (depending on size of dog). I think t's 1/10 (one-tenth) of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight. Give it to the orally. Can find it at any feed store. Depending on how many dogs you have it can last you a lifetime. Lot cheaper than heart worm stuff for dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:39 am

MGIII wrote:
1/2 Ml per dose (depending on size of dog). I think t's 1/10 (one-tenth) of a cc per 10 pounds of body weight. Give it to the orally. Can find it at any feed store. Depending on how many dogs you have it can last you a lifetime. Lot cheaper than heart worm stuff for dogs.
I give all my dogs (35 lbs up to 60lbs) 1 cc every month. Vet said that dosage is fairly high but since none of them have ever tested positive for heartworms to stick with it. One dog is 10, 8,4 and 2. Have been giving that dosage to all my dogs for 20 years.

Mike

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:51 am

Go to board index.
Scroll down to hall of fame posts.
Check out Ivermectin? And Ivermectin continued.
Some of the people that have helped answer you contributed to that. All you could ever want to know about ivermectin.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:13 am

birdogg42 wrote:
MGIII wrote:
I give all my dogs (35 lbs up to 60lbs) 1 cc every month. Vet said that dosage is fairly high but since none of them have ever tested positive for heartworms to stick with it. One dog is 10, 8,4 and 2. Have been giving that dosage to all my dogs for 20 years.

Mike
Yeah sounds a little high but if it's working I wouldn't change it.