Shotgun Over/Under for ladies info

gsps4evr

Shotgun Over/Under for ladies info

Post by gsps4evr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:32 pm

I'm looking at getting my wife a over/under. I'm just looking for some input from our lady and youth members on what you have and what you like about your model.

What I think would fit the bill for her is a litter weigh model probably in a 20 ga 26" barrels at the most.
She's just getting into shooting. Doesn't nessicarilly have to be a womens/youth model. We can have to stock chopped and fitted for her.

jetjockey

Re: Shotgun Over/Under for ladies info

Post by jetjockey » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Syren.com

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm

I have a Browning Citori Feather Lightning. I absolutely love it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 pm

Whatever you get , the best advice I can give is to get it fitted. The pull length will likely be too long depending on the arm length of the woman.
(I had a Weatherby Orion( 26 inch barrel), and loved it.)

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Sharon wrote:Whatever you get , the best advice I can give is to get it fitted. The pull length will likely be too long depending on the arm length of the woman.
(I had a Weatherby Orion( 26 inch barrel), and loved it.)
Check out the Syrens! If you liked the Orion, you will LOVE the Syren's.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:48 pm

jetjockey wrote:Syren.com

I wouldn't go to that in a workplace, you might lose your job. :D

This is the one
http://syrenusa.com/

I've seen the ads in passing I didn't realize they are a division of Caesar Guerini

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:11 pm

I heard of Syrens before clicked on that link and though there diversifying there company. Lol

We did look at a Franchi Instinct SL, Brownings, Cz Redheads. The Franchi seems to be a nice light gun both would need to be fitted for her.
Anyone ever seen the Cz Redhead Reduced Length?

I'm a Browning Winchester fan but the ones they had on hand were heavier field / sporting models.
I did however find a Citiri 725 that has my name on it.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:42 am

gsps4evr wrote:I heard of Syrens before clicked on that link and though there diversifying there company. Lol

We did look at a Franchi Instinct SL, Brownings, Cz Redheads. The Franchi seems to be a nice light gun both would need to be fitted for her.

I'm a Browning Winchester fan but the ones they had on hand were heavier field / sporting models.
Just remember that if your wife is real small, you reduce the length of stock too much and it gets barrel heavy. look at youth guns as well although there are not too many o/u's.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:20 am

P&PGunsmith wrote:
gsps4evr wrote:I heard of Syrens before clicked on that link and though there diversifying there company. Lol

Just remember that if your wife is real small, you reduce the length of stock too much and it gets barrel heavy. look at youth guns as well although there are not too many o/u's.
She's 5' 2" so pretty small. It'd be nice if a gun shop could get a youth model in to check out but they need it to be purchased first. I see the browning micro and Cz in youth models are 24" barrels must be to help out with being to barrel heavy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:53 am

Good advice from P/P

I'm 5'2 and the 26 inch fitted regular gun was fine. I used a highly reputable gunsmith so he knew what I needed. Also had a recoil pad put on the end of the stock.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:09 pm

I have found most women do better with a semi-auto. If you go with an O/U, check out light loads. Even with proper gun fit, reducing recoil is very important.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:07 pm

I had though about a semi-auto but when she'd go training with me and at hunt tests she'd need a o/u.
Whatever she ends up with it'll get fitted with a good pad and probably put a recoil reducer in it possibly even port it.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:06 pm

I picked up a CZ redhead in 28ga. as a beater gun for my grandchildren. It had ben fitted for a young girl by its previous owner. It had a few dings on the stock but otherwise was nice and tight.

I put a big butt pad on the stock just to try it out and I have to say it swung nicely and blew up clays on the skeet range very nicely. I think I did a bit better with it than I did with my 20ga.
I will say one thing... when I hit a clay with it, there was no chipping and such. A hit was a hit...no doubt about it.

There was very little recoil, even with field loads.

I have a CZ woodcock in 28 ga. that I have taken hunting a few times. It will kill a preserve pheasant or chucker dead in the air over a point at normal ranges with a field load of 6's or 7 1/2's.

RayG

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a 20 ga Ithaca made by SKB that would make a nice ladies gun if cut to fit. Not alot of them but can be found.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:30 pm

The problem with cutting a stock to fit a woman is that the grip length is still typically to long, and the comb is typically too low. The only way to get a shotgun stock to truely fit a woman shooter is to build a stock specifically designed for a woman. Just cutting or bending a stock isn't enough. By the time you spend all that money on a custom stock, your better off buying a gun specifically designed for women.
Last edited by jetjockey on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:06 pm

That is what the gunsmith did for me.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:10 pm

Although fit is vitally important, for reasons I have never understood women tend to shoot upright or even on their heels, instead of leaning into the gun. The larger their, ah, chest the more they pull back, they are very hard to coach.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:51 pm

If you've had a bang on the testicles, you'd understand why we don't like a bang on the breasts. :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:03 pm

Sharon wrote:If you've had a bang on the testicles, you'd understand why we don't like a bang on the breasts. :)
That is why we say shoulder the gun. Where do you hold yours?..........................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 pm

LOL Some breasts take up more chest area than others. :) Even though you shoulder the gun................

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:56 pm

I've heard women complain about having floppy underarms and had no idea those were breasts.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I've heard women complain about having floppy underarms and had no idea those were breasts.

Go get a mammogram and find out how far boobage extends :o

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:18 pm

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon One 20 ga that I got fitted. It's a sweet gun that doesn't weigh a ton. I can usually work with it for a couple of hours without feeling like my arms are going to drop off.

Meanwhile, I have to say I'm a little taken aback by some of the insensitive remarks about female anatomy in this thread. Especially the part about mammograms. :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Postby SubMariner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon One 20 ga that I got fitted. It's a sweet gun that doesn't weigh a ton. I can usually work with it for a couple of hours without feeling like my arms are going to drop off.

Meanwhile, I have to say I'm a little taken aback by some of the insensitive remarks about female anatomy in this thread. Especially the part about mammograms. :roll:

I thought Shag's post about mammograms was very educational for gentlemen and answered the question asked below originally.

Neil wrote:Although fit is vitally important, for reasons I have never understood women tend to shoot upright or even on their heels, instead of leaning into the gun. The larger their, ah, chest the more they pull back, they are very hard to coach.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:37 pm

Fitting a gun involves more than just L.O.P. It involves making the gun shoot where you point it which could also involve "bending" the stock so that your eye is in alignment with the barrels. Its hard to beat a properly fitted 686.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Fitting is important, but the shooter needs a proper stance and hold, and then a consistent mount. You should stand with you feet shoulder width apart, off foot slightly ahead, knees bent, leaning in, and the stock goes firmly beneath the dominant eye in the pocket that is formed. Every time.

If you don't mount the gun the same it cannot be fitted.

And we all know once you do all that, many of your shots will be off-balance and on your bicep, or even not fully mounted. But it is important to get the basics down first.

Older, very experienced, good shooters are very hard to fit. They instinctively adjust themselves to fit the gun, some very quickly.

So for different reasons new and experienced shooters are the most difficult to train and fit.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:38 am

Luckily she's new to shooting. We're going to go to a reputable gun shop that has good gunsmithing for her in the next week or two to get her setup.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:20 am

gsps4evr wrote:Luckily she's new to shooting. We're going to go to a reputable gun shop that has good gunsmithing for her in the next week or two to get her setup.
That is good news... Women are normally easier to teach because they don't let their ego get in the way. :)

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:15 pm

Sharon wrote:Postby SubMariner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:18 pm

I thought Shag's post about mammograms was very educational for gentlemen and answered the question asked below originally.

Neil wrote:Although fit is vitally important, for reasons I have never understood women tend to shoot upright or even on their heels, instead of leaning into the gun. The larger their, ah, chest the more they pull back, they are very hard to coach.
I have no way of knowing whether "shags" is male or female. I only know that I felt that using mammograms in this case/context was a little out of order. Mammograms are not "boobage extension raters" but very serious diagnostic tools for a very serious health issue.

FYI, females lean backward to compensate for the weight of the gun because we are smaller than most male shooters. It has nothing to do with the size of our breasts.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Submariner, As I explained in the PM you sent it was immaterial if the poster was male or female other than to let you know other females did not share your opinion. However, you are entitled to your opinion and I find little wrong with it other than I think you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill( maybe I should use other words) as no one is making light of breast cancer since it is a shared problem with men and women both being affected with it. We know it is more prevalent in women but is more deadly with men. But there is little reason to get up tight about something we all understand but evidently we don't all have the same feeling about it since we are not helping or hindering the chance of having or curing it with talking about it.

There really is little reason to PM your opinion if you are going to post the same thing here on the board. We will get your message either way but the PM is used more often for things that do not belong on the public forum. You are going to a lot of extra work doing both.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:47 pm

Sorry, but anyone who uses the word "mammogram" in response to a simple question about how to start a women is just stupid....It has ZERO bearing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:57 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Sorry, but anyone who uses the word "mammogram" in response to a simple question about how to start a women is just stupid....It has ZERO bearing.
Good to get the definitive answer from an expert. lol

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Sorry, but anyone who uses the word "mammogram" in response to a simple question about how to start a women is just stupid....It has ZERO bearing.

Would you rather take advise from a couch potato or an NSCA certified shotgun instructor? no laugh

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Would you rather take advise from a couch potato or an NSCA certified shotgun instructor? no laugh
No laugh here either but you may have trouble convincing the women who are saying it does. And I think I will take their word rather than your couch potatoes

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 pm

How many women have you actually trained, EZZY?

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Don't! Women are really no different then men in that regard. Like Neil said, mount is more important than anything. IMO, woman are not that hard to teach because they listen. Believe it or not, with a decent mount, boobs mean nothing! But that's why I'm a big fan of Syren shotguns. They are balanced, fit, and fitted for the woman shooter. It's not a men's gun that is cut to fit a woman, but still has too much drop. It's a gun that is manufactured for the woman shooter.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Well said JetJockey

Let's lighten up. Grouse season starts here in 4 days.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zpf3 ... n-2014_fun