Looking for new dog

33Scout

Looking for new dog

Post by 33Scout » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Looking for a new gun dog and think that I about have it narrowed down. What I really want is a dog that can hunt both upland birds and waterfowl. I have found a breeder in NH that does exactly what I want and I would be able to leave the pup there for 6 months for them to start the dog for me. The breed of the Dog is a GSP and the GSP's that they have are beautiful. I think that a dog that was versatile would suit me the best. I really like the GSP the only thing that worries e is that I don't like a big running dog in the grouse woods. I don't mind the dog ranging out to 100yds or so I just don't want the dog to go further than what I am comfortable with.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for new dog

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:38 pm

33Scout -

That sounds like a plan. I am sure you are aware that GSP's do things somewhat differently than your lab would. Not necessarily better or worse. just different. There will be a learning curve for you, and it may take a while before you are truly comfortable with how a pointing dog operates, since they do it differently than a flushing type dog. No big deal...like I said... not better or worse, just different. You may find you like how a pointing dog does some things. I think you will.

I would suggest that you look into the purchase of a reliable GPS unit, for your own peace of mind during the hunt. The dog will almost always know where you are, so that is not usually a problem.

You however,might not know where the dog is at all times, and it sounds like that will be a matter of concern for you and interfere with your enjoyment of the hunt. That concern is not at all unusual for a new pointing dog owner and may be especially true for someone accustomed to how a flushing dog operates. A GPS unit will take care of that concern very nicely, quietly and effectively so you can focus on enjoying the hunt.

I have, and use, a Garmin 320 unit. It works great. There are other good options as well.

RayG

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:09 am

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:18 am

I am going to give you some advice that I know will rub some folks here the wrong way.
But the advice is for you- not them.

1. Waterfowl hunting in the northeast with any shorthaired versatile dog can be done, but it is not optimal.
2. GSPs that won't range further than 100 yards in thick cover? Again, it can be done, but it is not optimal.
3. The last reason you should purchase a dog from a specific breeder is because they are "close" to you.

I offer this advice as a current owner of a GSP (6 year-old female) & a Pointer (3 year-old male). If you plan to
do a significant amount of waterfowl hunting, you can not go wrong with a Deutsch Drahthar. Their coat is more suitable
for cold weather waterfowl hunting and their range, generally speaking, is shorter than that of a GSP.

Here is the link that you should seriously investgate: http://www.vdd-gna.org/

PM me if you want names of DD breeders in the northeast- there are some pretty established breeders you could visit.
Here is one located in northeastern NY state, just on the other side of Lake Champlain.

Von Tahawus Kennels
Michael Piserchia
P.O. Box 2
Keene, NY 12942

518-524-7548
coachpiserchia@yahoo.com

Rob
Last edited by GrayDawg on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:55 am

I too will post my opinion and I am sure many will disagree, but ...

I live in Missouri, we have great Waterfowl hunting both ducks and geese. It does get very cold here so we need a good hearty dog that can tolerate cold water, ice and snow. We also have great quail and pheasant hunting in Mo, Ks, Iowa, and Nebraska all are within 2 hours of where I live near Kansas City. I own three Golden Retrievers, they are well trained gun dogs with SH titles. I know hunting with pointing dogs that range out is fun and productive, but I have found that using a well trained 'flushing' dog, like retrievers, works just as well, you just have to train them and hunt a bit differently. My dogs will quarter on the hunt never going out pasts 40 yds. I can easily tell when they are on a bird by their stalking and focus. They will 'hold' on command, the are trained to work on wounded birds and they have excellent noses for tracking. They are very good all around gun dogs and great family pets.....

And great trainers are readily available.....I use them over labs because the added coat, gives them an extra layer of protection when running in cover or working in icy water.....

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am

Some very helpful food for thought there from forum members. Great advice.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 am

The advice that I have received so far is great. I like to take different opinions and observations into consideration this way I can avoid getting tunnel vision. The input from other experienced hunters will make me take all things into consideration. Thanks Jimmy

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:33 pm

Also, if you get the right DD you can do a whole lot more than just upland and waterfowl hunt

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 pm

You shouldn't worry. A well bred GSP can be trained to hunt however you like. My GSP doesn't range far, I've kept her close since we started bird work. In cold weather put on a good neoprene vest and hunt.

Side note, is this a Mason pup?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:23 pm

A neoprene vest should prepare most any dog for waterfowl hunting except in the ocean. Still water freezes at 32 degrees. You can train any dog to stay as close as needed. Get the breed and line you want.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 am

Sorry I misinformed you guys I am looking to get my dog from gundog kennels in Vermont. I really like what I have heard through corresponding with Rodger through emails. I have a 7yo Llewellyn setter and he is a bird machine. I am currently transitioning out of the Army. I have spent the last eight and a half years here at Ft.Drum, NY and my wife and I have decided its time for me to get out. I have had a very successful career in the Army and I feel that I can be successful in other things in life without the constant wondering what is going to happen next month or next week for that matter. We have really taken a liking to this area and want to build a solid foundation for my son. The wild bird hunting in this area is phenomenal. I wasn't a gundog owner until last year and I absolutely fell in love with grouse hunting. I am the kind of father who lets my son tag along in everything that I do however, some of my friends get a little annoyed because we always have a 6 year old tagging along and sometimes I totally understand there frustration. While fishing a couple months back my fishing Buddy was helping my son get his toy binoculars out of the water and fell in and ruined his brand new IPhone 6. My son and I love being out working the dog and I feel that this is something along with sports that we will always be able to bond with. I am trying to teach him a love and respect for the dogs. I also would just honestly love to have another dog that I could use to make my days a little longer in the grouse woods. I know that was a little long winded and probably some run on sentences and grammatical errors but I am typing this before I head to work. Thanks Jimmy

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Neil wrote:A neoprene vest should prepare most any dog for waterfowl hunting except in the ocean. Still water freezes at 32 degrees. You can train any dog to stay as close as needed. Get the breed and line you want.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Vests help but they don't prepare any dog for freezing water. I'm a spaniel man and I love late season waterfowling, and my guy wears a vest but a vest is not enough in icy water. He needs to be dried and warmed up constantly, whereas the labs aren't bothered in the slightest. If you are hunting a lot of waterfowl you need to heed others' advice.