Dog Food of Years Past

JasonM

Dog Food of Years Past

Post by JasonM » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:46 am

Not to beat a dead horse but:

what did everyone feed of years gone by.....say back in the 50's and 60's or earlier or even later.....

I mean, with all the hype of all this stuff and nutrition and on and on and on and on.......

My Grandfather, God rest his soul, would probably roll over if he knew what I spent on Dogfood in a month....he raised many dogs on the cheapest food/table scrap available....dogs typically lived until they were 15 16 and 17 yrs.....

My Uncle feeds his beagle whatever is on sale, and that dog will hunt and hunt and hunt ........and its 8......slowing a little but.....sheesh...

I'm going to pick a food from a local supplier (preferrably not one of the big retail companies) and go with it....I have my mind made up pretty much on Diamond, b/c it is readily available and within my price range...

Merry Christmas!
Jason

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:49 am

There was kibble in the 60's, nothing as sophisticated as what we have today. I remember feeding Purina, and there were others also but I do not remember names. Alpo, I think, has been around forever. More common to mix in food scraps back then, at least at our house it was.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:46 pm

When my grandpa had dogs (not hunting dogs, just farm mutts), I remember helping scrape plates into a big ice cream bucket for the "dog slop." That, on top of some cheap dry kibble was all it took.

Today's dog foods have a higher nutritional value to compensate for the busy nature of life, allowing us to not have to get a slop bucket to get Fido properly nourished.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:45 pm

I remeber my grandpa telling me about his setters from back in the 50s. At that time he just fed what he could. Whether thats table scraps or cheap dog kibble that he could afford. As long as they got food daily he was happy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Back years ago I used to sell a lot of Pig Creep Feed for the dogs. It was a real good creep feed with corn and rolled oats as the major ingredients and with dried whey products, meat scraps, and wheat middlings as the minor ingredients and of course the minerals were added. Of course most fed table scraps and the dairy farmers all put milk down. Later as we got into the early weaning feeds we added milk products and sugar. But it was about that time we started manufacturing dog food and it became the major source of dog nutrition but there was still people who wouldn't spend the money and kept right on feeding the pig feed.

Wayne, Purina, Nutrina, plus a couple of others were National companies that were involved with many smaller regional companies joining in within a short period of time.

I can remember our own dogs going to the corn crib every day and getting an ear of corn to chew on and that continues to this day. If we lost a calf or pig during the winter when it would freezing that was always kept for the dogs to chew on also.

Those were the good old days! Good old days?

Ezzy
Last edited by ezzy333 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:46 pm

In the late 50s and early 60s, being poor and only having hounds and mutts, they got fed hog pellets and table scraps. They would also get game entrails etc in the fall and winter. JASON: I have fed Diamond Premium for years with good results, but there's several good brands. Compare price and convenience of getting it. Merry Christmas,

Winter.
big steve

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:16 pm

I remember Wayne and Joy. It was all pretty much before my time:):):)
brenda

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:24 am

A few older ones that come to mind were Jim Dandy, Fischel's, Perfection, Krusty, and Bench and Field

BOSUN

Post by BOSUN » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:47 pm

I started working in a bird dog kennel when I was in hi school (1959), the owner is still alive and still in the business. He always said "Purina dog chow, suet, and fresh water". I stick pretty close to that when possible.
He also says "Feed 'em grease and scratch their ears and they'll follow you anywhere." Good advice.

Haile

Post by Haile » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Bosun,,love the picture of you and your dogs. 50's was way before my time but in the late 60's I remember my Parents feeding Waynes dog food out in California. Used to get stuff when you bought a bunch. I remember I had a jacket and hat that was orange.

I remember in the 70's, my Grandpa used to feed his hounds Waynes and Grandma used to feed her Toy Poodle (I hated that dog!) Chuckwagon. I used to love those Chuckwagon Commercials. :D

BOSUN

Post by BOSUN » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks...those dogs make even me look pretty good. I remember the Wayne's give-away stuff too.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:24 pm

In the early 60's I remember as a kid always having to feed the dogs, beagles and setters. It was always the same green bag, (purina dog chow). Dog's would always hunt daylight to dark and if you did not get the beagles rounded up by dark they would run all night.
I don't know if it was the same formula then as it is now. If so everything we feed nowadays is supposedly much better than that.
Regards
Gary

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:16 am

My grand dad's pointers and shorthairs got tablescraps with some kibble thrown in...probably Purina, as that was the only thing I remember advertised during Hee Haw. I do remember my dad feeding a Wayne Feed and some Purina during hunting season. We know a lot more than we did 25 years ago, however, I am not sure the dogs are any better off diet wise.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:12 am

I use to feed Purina they had a feed that was above dog chow I forget what they called it . They even had a kennel plan you use to cut the weight circles off the bags . I also fed Joy and Iams was around then. Iams came in brown bags, it was a meal ( not kibble or pellets ) that you mixed with water until it looked like heavy mud.

Mo

Post by Mo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:37 pm

When I started in the dog training business we had 3 top notch dog foods, Joy, Purina and Jim Dandy in my area.. I fed all 3 at 1 time or another, the dogs did great on the food.. We now have so called premium dog food that is suppose to be way better.. Don't know if that is true or not they sure spend alot of money trying to sell it.. Use to you could count on 4 or 5 feed companys try to get your business every year.. I liked that, it was easier to work a good deal when they called on me.. Now with all the petsmarts and petcos no one every calls on the kennels.. I liked the old way better.

Mo

hjackson

Post by hjackson » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:53 am

Purina still has a kennel plan with the weight circles - that is what we feed - I have fed everything under sun - from pedigree to food you could only have shipped to you and I always go back to either purina or diamond brands.
Brittguy wrote:I use to feed Purina they had a feed that was above dog chow I forget what they called it . They even had a kennel plan you use to cut the weight circles off the bags . I also fed Joy and Iams was around then. Iams came in brown bags, it was a meal ( not kibble or pellets ) that you mixed with water until it looked like heavy mud.