Dog caught pigeons

Jidano3

Dog caught pigeons

Post by Jidano3 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Okay, so in the time I posted about my female shaking while after birds she managed to catch 2 squeakers. I was feeding and cleaning the loft and the birds hopped out the back door. Well, my female was out and snatched them right up. So my question is, what could be the effects of her catching birds?

CDN_Cocker

Re: Dog caught pigeons

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:48 pm

I would suspect most dogs catch a few. Don't worry about it and carry on. You're over thinking it.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I watched my ESS take a rooster out of the air. I figured she had seen me shoot enough, figured that I miss (once in a while), and went for it. It was fun to watch and she did bring the bird to me to carry back to the truck.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Jidano3 wrote:Okay, so in the time I posted about my female shaking while after birds she managed to catch 2 squeakers. I was feeding and cleaning the loft and the birds hopped out the back door. Well, my female was out and snatched them right up. So my question is, what could be the effects of her catching birds?
Depends what you done ?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Jidano3 wrote:Okay, so in the time I posted about my female shaking while after birds she managed to catch 2 squeakers. I was feeding and cleaning the loft and the birds hopped out the back door. Well, my female was out and snatched them right up. So my question is, what could be the effects of her catching birds?
The biggest effect is you have two less birds. That's about all you will notice. And next time shut the door or do something different such as put the dog in the kennel or house.

Ezzy

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote: The biggest effect is you have two less birds. That's about all you will notice. And next time shut the door or do something different such as put the dog in the kennel or house.

Ezzy
That works too !

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:54 am

ezzy333 wrote:
The biggest effect is you have two less birds. That's about all you will notice. And next time shut the door or do something different such as put the dog in the kennel or house.

Ezzy
+2

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 am

I had a Vizsla that would pick up live birds that would set so tight I could not kick them up. She would go on point and hold tight. I would walk around trying to kick up a bird,nothing. I would walk off thinking it was running. I would call her to come along and turned around to her and she would have a live bird in her mouth. It taught me that when she was on point there is a BIRD. She did this about half dozen times. Turned out to be the best dog I had at that time.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:13 am

My dogs have to be in the house,in their crates when i clean my coop.They will knock the screens out of the windows if i dont.I also learned the hard way.Lost two birds when the dogs caught them on the ground.No biggie.You cannot punish dogs for doing what they are bred to do. Lessons learned.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:21 pm

No discipline, just gave her a good girl and was petting her on the side to get the birds from her. Thanks for the responses.