Proper Hydration during and after hunt/run

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:31 pm

On mornings before I hunt I don't feed my dog but I don't withhold water. Once out in the field I keep a squirt bottle of water with me and during the hunt i will occasionally offer him water. Sometimes he's interested, but most of the time he'd just rather get back to finding birds. During offseason conditioning/free runs and training, when temps are much warmer, I'm confused about how i should be keeping him hydrated. Seems I've read quite a bit about dogs drinking a bunch of water and then running right after and that causing issues. And seems I've also read that i shouldn't allow him to gulp down a bowl of water, as he's want to do at the conclusion of the run. So how am i supposed to properly keep him hydrated during the run and then at the conclusion of said run? At a trial i recently attended, i saw dogs jumping in stock tanks to cool off and drink mid run and then again at the conclusion of the run. I Know the last thing i want him doing is overheating, but I'm not clear on how best to do that without causing other problems.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Proper Hydration during and after hunt/run

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:09 pm

The day before my dogs get extra water over their kibble; the morning of, water in front of them at all times. If any seem to be barking or panting more than a little, he goes in the box to chill. That way they don't need a big huge chug fest right before they run.
During, always have water on hand to offer, and take them to known water spots if possible. They get to choose to drink or not during these opportunities.
After the run, they get a a bowl of water. If they want to gulp, they get a few, I remove the bowl for a minute, then give more. Repeat until they settle down. If they gulp down too much at one time, it tends to come right back up.
In cool weather the dogs tend to take in what they need during and after, with not much trouble.
Always be alert and aware if the dog might be distressed in the heat. Sometimes they don't quit, so *you* have to know when enough is enough. Last fall at a trial two dogs went down - one because the owner thought his dog could tough out a few more minutes, and the other because the owner just did not recognize that his dog was in trouble.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:38 pm

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...carry enough water.

That could be a small squirt bottle with a pint of warm water in it, in the winter or it could be a gallon or more in the summer.

Know the signs and symptoms of heat stress, not just the textbook description... but what it actually looks like in real life. KNOW what to look for. ask a vet, ask a trainer.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS watch your dog. Know your dog and how they behave. Watch for the dog to behave differently, erratically. On hot days you gotta watch them like a hawk. Things can change in minutes. Be ready to intervene because timing can be critical. the difference between a minor event and a major catastrophe can be ten or fifteen minutes.

On hot days, especially muggy hot days, call the dog in and MAKE the SOB come in. Make them stand there and take water, even if you have to squirt it into the side of their mouth. Put some on the dog's belly and chest.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...err on the side of caution. An extra drink of water or belly wetting can do absolutely no harm.

Most times, dogs, especially older dogs, will do what they need to do to keep themselves good. Puppies and young dogs ain't got no sense. They will, if left to their own devices, run themselves into the ground. This is especially true of the best of them. Watch them REAL close and keep them close when the temps are on the high side.

RayG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Many times the water is more beneficial when applied over the belly and head of the dog than in the dog.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Yep. Pinna of the ear, and inside of rear legs too. Sometimes I'll soak paw pads as well...anywhere vascular, cool water will help.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:01 pm

RayGubernat wrote:ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...carry enough water.

That could be a small squirt bottle with a pint of warm water in it, in the winter or it could be a gallon or more in the summer.

Know the signs and symptoms of heat stress, not just the textbook description... but what it actually looks like in real life. KNOW what to look for. ask a vet, ask a trainer.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS watch your dog. Know your dog and how they behave. Watch for the dog to behave differently, erratically. On hot days you gotta watch them like a hawk. Things can change in minutes. Be ready to intervene because timing can be critical. the difference between a minor event and a major catastrophe can be ten or fifteen minutes.

On hot days, especially muggy hot days, call the dog in and MAKE the SOB come in. Make them stand there and take water, even if you have to squirt it into the side of their mouth. Put some on the dog's belly and chest.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...err on the side of caution. An extra drink of water or belly wetting can do absolutely no harm.

Most times, dogs, especially older dogs, will do what they need to do to keep themselves good. Puppies and young dogs ain't got no sense. They will, if left to their own devices, run themselves into the ground. This is especially true of the best of them. Watch them REAL close and keep them close when the temps are on the high side.

RayG
Words of wisdom here.

Bill

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:32 pm

I always carry a Camelback, or whatever they are called.... And I always squirt water for them/on them, long before I think that they need to drink. I think that by doing it this way, we avoid the big gulps at the end of a run/hunt. As mentioned before, young dogs don't always have a very good sense of when they need hydration, so keep it there for them :D

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 pm

my hunting vest holds a camelback bladder.
a dogs nose needs moisture for it to work efficiently with that in mind
I'm constantly squirting water on the side of her mouth.i try to keep her muzzle wet as much as possible
depending on how warm it is i'll hold her longer and maker her take more water before she can go.
she knows I have water and if she is thirsty she also knows to nudge me for a drink.
when it is cold out its important to have warmer water on hand.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Is warm water better than cold water? Thought I remember reading that cold water can actually increase the chance of bloat?

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am

I use warm water when its cold out just because my dog is just more willing to drink it
can't blame her really

1gundog

Post by 1gundog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:09 am

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-pack ... packs.html

Pressurized hydration bladder best thing I've found for cooling yourself and your dog.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Spy Car wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS...carry enough water.

RayG
Words of wisdom here.

Bill
This be as true as it gets- During the summer work outs I am fairly lucky- besides carrying massive amount of water etc. My training area is mostly on a few "walk in access' properties- they have a small creeks and a few cattle ponds on them- plus the wife loves the hikes- she carries a back pack also with H20.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18 pm

twistedoak wrote:my hunting vest holds a camelback bladder.
a dogs nose needs moisture for it to work efficiently with that in mind
I'm constantly squirting water on the side of her mouth.i try to keep her muzzle wet as much as possible
depending on how warm it is i'll hold her longer and maker her take more water before she can go.
she knows I have water and if she is thirsty she also knows to nudge me for a drink.
when it is cold out its important to have warmer water on hand.
Excellent point about a dog's nose needing moisture to work efficiently.

Bill