My dog is 15 today, and she ain't done huntin'

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

On February 10th, 2000, I got a phone call. It was long distance. On the other end of the line was "bleep" Wilbur, a breeder of Weimaraners from Lubbock, Texas. He had good news. “We have a pup for ya”.

Photo tribute here: https://cdog.exposure.co/happy-birthday-souris

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: My dog is 15 today, and she ain't done huntin'

Post by shags » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Congrats and happy birthday to your good old girl :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Enjoy every day with her. I, too, have one that is near 15. Since he turned 8 I realized he most likely had more yesterdays than he will have tomorrows.

They teach us unconditional love, and so much about loss.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm

wow, beautiful pictures, beautiful dog! thanks for sharing

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Beautiful picture. The one in my avatar is 14 and still says , "You aren't leaving me behind." :)

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 am

I'm sure that she has brought you alot of joy. I'm very happy for you. :D

natel24

Post by natel24 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:21 am

Congratulations, not much else you could ask for. Glad to here she still getting after it.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 am

I can only hope mine will make it to 15 let alone still hunt at 15. Nice lookin dog

Ike

Post by Ike » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Very Nice! Congratulations to u both.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 pm

How often does she get to hunt these days?

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:49 am

How often does she get to hunt these days?
The hunting season is over for us up here in the great frozen north, but from Sept to Dec. we hunt a LOT. And even at her age, Souris still gets her turn to hunt every time we go (usually 4 times a week or so). The only difference now is that we only run her for 30 to 60 minutes at a time. That said, her longest hunt last season was nearly 2 hours. We were in North Dakota in some pretty easy terrain (stubble field) and there were a ton of roosters about so we let her go a bit longer. Here's a video of me explaining how things worked out that day :) http://www.craigkoshykphoto.ca/p864745993#h180601ee

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 am

Wow, she is in great shape for 15. She is obviously well cared for, congrats on the long run.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:36 pm

I went to show my wife all the cool photos of your dogs because I always ask her to come with us while we hunt just to snap photos (she never does) and she said just hire that guy. And I got to thinking that's a great idea for a photographer. I would pay decent money to get some awesome shots of my dogs, I've tried myself but it always ends up with missed birds and blurry photos. Again, congrats

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

natel24 wrote:I went to show my wife all the cool photos of your dogs because I always ask her to come with us while we hunt just to snap photos (she never does) and she said just hire that guy. And I got to thinking that's a great idea for a photographer. I would pay decent money to get some awesome shots of my dogs, I've tried myself but it always ends up with missed birds and blurry photos. Again, congrats
I wrote an article years ago (I should really re-publish it on my blog, thanks for the idea) about just that topic. Basically, I suggested that every hunter should hire, at least every second season or so, a local pro photographer to capture some of the action. Heck, I'm a pro photographer and I've done it!! I got one of my best graduate students (I own and operate a photo school) to follow me and my nephew for a couple of days to document the hunts a few years ago. The photos are awesome and I treasure them to this day.

Bottom line: you and I (and everyone else on this board) know that the days we spend in the field with our dogs and hunting buddies are among the most precious days of our lives. So why not hire someone to capture some of the memories? There is a good chance that those photos (and videos) will end up being just as important and dear to you as your wedding photos, the photos of your newborn kids and the photos of your long departed grandparents.

Thanks again for reminding me of the idea. I'll try to get something up on my blog over the weekend.

P.S. In my original article (I'll try to find it...been years), I describe the kind of photographer you want to hire (hint: it is probably not the local portrait/wedding guy. If you can find a local sports photographer that is in shape, you are good to go!).

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:47 am

Beautiful tribute Craig!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:04 pm

[quote="chiendog

Bottom line: you and I (and everyone else on this board) know that the days we spend in the field with our dogs and hunting buddies are among the most precious days of our lives. So why not hire someone to capture some of the memories? There is a good chance that those photos (and videos) will end up being just as important and dear to you as your wedding photos, the photos of your newborn kids and the photos of your long departed grandparents.

Thanks again for reminding me of the idea. I'll try to get something up on my blog over the weekend.quote]

So true. My husband is a professional photographer and I have some beautiful pics of all the dog I've had.

"Buddies"

Uplanders Contessa

(sorry about the cat :) )