GSP not as advertised

DudeRN

Re: GSP not as advertised

Post by DudeRN » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Don't throw good money after bad...this dog may well live to be 16 or so. Can you handle this behavior for the next 15 years? It does sound like he's not going to work out. Three months is a good trial period - most fosters I have in the home are adjusted by 6 weeks or so. I would have that tough discussion with the guy you bought the dog from, if he is any kind of dog person, he will see that you are not the right family for this dog. The kids will adjust - and we're talking about you doing what is right for the dog - letting him find the kind of home he'll do well in.

I very much do not want children to think animals (especially companion animals) are disposable. However, I do think it's good to teach them that you need to do what is right for that animal.
I like this answer. +1

CSK91

Post by CSK91 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:39 pm

I reached out to a local trainer and I contacted the breeder.

MGIII

GSP not as advertised

Post by MGIII » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:43 pm

CSK91 wrote:I reached out to a local trainer and I contacted the breeder.
And....

CSK91

Post by CSK91 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:51 pm

I sent a detailed email of the behaviors and I am waiting for an answer. I felt email was the best way to get them all of the details at once.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:51 pm

As a breeder, I would want a phone call as it is too easy to misinterpret emails. I would follow that email up with a call. The breeder/seller, whoever, if they are reputable and care at all about the dog, will do whatever it takes to fix the situation. Right now it seems emotion is guiding the direction you are taking with trying to solve the issues, which is understandable, but probably not in the best interest of the dog or the success in fixing the issues. It is so important to have clear communication between each other in order to come to a good conclusion. This communication should have started when you first started seeing problems. I hope you get the dog turned around and good luck.

CSK91

Post by CSK91 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:13 pm

I am not emotional about this. I am trying to do what is best for the dog. It is just getting worse. There are things happening that are making me think it is going in the wrong direction. I started by asking for help on this forum on what to do. That was yesterday. I emailed the breeder today. I asked them to call me in the email. Out of respect to their personal time I will call them Monday. When the dog got here I spoke to the breeder about the issues we were having over the first 4 weeks. It has been 6 weeks since I spoke to the breeder but as I said earlier those conversations were not very productive from my standpoint.

larue

Post by larue » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:14 am

It appears the dog has some serious fear of going outside
To be trained.
He is avoiding the entire situation.
You need to find out if is bird related or just training outside. .
I would do any training inside
And keep it simple a whoa table would be great
He needs to be happy about outside and it will take time to get him over whatever happened.
If you can stake him outside while you play with another dog or just to watch you while you are outside it might be the start.I would not drag him outside but would pick him up and carry him
The dog shows the signs of way too much pressure
And or bad training.
You will have to make outside fun again.the best cure is birds as long as he was not messed up
With birds
This will be a long process months of tiny improvements.maybe years

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 am

Try a quality obedience training program, where you work with a small group or one on one. Dog sounds to have been put through the mill before you got it. If training won't get the dog where you want it, see if a rescue will help you find it a good quiet non hunting home.

Easy to call yourself a "breeder" on the internet. Generic photos, write and post your own recommendations. A lot of these "breeders" are outlets for puppy mills, and anybody can claim to be a dog trainer. Business gets tagged by a real breeder, they change the name, maybe the font and web address.

cbump

Post by cbump » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:23 pm

In pretty much any decision in life, it's almost never a good idea to base it off how much money you already have invested. Those are sunk costs. Going against your gut because of sunk costs is a pretty good way to throw away even more money.

CSK91

Post by CSK91 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:56 pm

I wanted to thannk everyone for their comments, direct messages, and posts. You have been very helpful. I made an appointment with a trainer in CT for later this week. They are going to evaluate him and make a recommendation. I also spoke to the breeder who offered a potential solution. I am going to see what the trainer says on Friday and then see where to go from there.

3gsps

Post by 3gsps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:30 pm

it really bothers me that your vets first choice to fix a behavior problem with the dog is to "fix it"!! & my sister is a vet!!! that said maybe a breeder in your area can help out with the dogs problems. I have 4GSPs I have 1 female that is just "touched" she don't like water/swim, don't care for birds of any type, but will play fetch,& very happy to be a couch tater!!! her mom & dad are out of a very high caliber kennel, her dad was a VC & MH both!! mom is a VC... it just lost something in her.. yes I have kept her around NO im not going to breed her.. I have A LOT of $$$$ in her but sometimes this happens with nature!! the breeder offered to take her back, but I got attached to her & she is very loveable pet now.. I can feel exactly what you are going thru trying to do whats right for the dog.. just maybe the boxer makes it feel threatned or its going to get his food/toys while he is outside with you, just a idea they are jealous like us!!

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Again, it is irrelevant (to me personally) if this dog can be rehabilitated unless the resolve is coming from the person you bought it from.
Not sure what you expect from a trainer?
I re-iterate, "Did you acquire this dog KNOWING it had issues?" Or, did you get, "a DEAL" on this dog?
I'm curious. What was the breeder's potential solution?

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am

you are already in pretty deep. give the dog every ben.. you can find a home later. I had a young setter that a trainer said he could not train.. and she was a handful and it took awhile. but she did come around. she wasn't the best dog I every had but she loved me.. and I did her..i still can remember how happy it made her and me when she got it right.. we had a great time chasing grouse in Michigan.. I keep her till she died

Dirty Dawger

Post by Dirty Dawger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:31 pm

"...we love her/him, just the same........."
Translated, "Oh oh...!!!"
I've been in this situation and rarely is an experienced trainer too far from the mark. It doesn't always mean a dog CANNOT be improved on. It might mean, you'd be better off investing your time and money on a better dog and when you think of a dog living an average of 14 years, that trainer could be doing you a HUGE favor! Add to this that a gent might be 60+ yeas of age. Waiting 14+ years for his next dog to be better might not be in the cards. A good dog doesn't cost any more to feed/care for than a not-so-good dog.
I personally had a friend come by with a setter. It only took me 10 days to determine without a doubt, that this dog was not worth my time or his money. The owner felt I had not given the dog a chance. He took this dog to another trainer ($$$$) and last I heard (about 1 year later), he's looking for a "pet" home for this dog. Both time and money would have been better invested but............
Oh, and he's still looking for a dog.

MGIII

GSP not as advertised

Post by MGIII » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Any updates??

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44 pm

MGIII wrote:Any updates??
X2

Sort of curious what the trainer said, and if the breeder offered any help.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm