Safe distance from gunfire for Pup

oilcan

Safe distance from gunfire for Pup

Post by oilcan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Let me start by saying this is not a how to introduce gunfire question.
I have a pup that is just finishing up her shots and I will be taking out for walks/runs to start exploring and it will be in public areas.
One of the areas I have is near a river where there people are currently Duck Hunting and the other is the preserve where I Hunt.
My question is what would you consider a safe distance from gunfire to prevent any future problems 300yards,1/4 mile,1/2 mile ?
At the preserve I can keep her away from gunfire at the training grounds but the main road runs through the Hunting area and there could be some shooting as we drive through but with her in the crate inside the Cab with windows up I don't think that would be a problem.

Any thoughts
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Safe distance from gunfire for Pup

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:45 pm

"with her in the crate inside the Cab with windows up I don't think that would be a problem. " Hard to say for sure ,but sounds like you are taking every precaution.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:43 am

I would personally go to the area where the duck hunters are around mid day and leave as much distance as possible between my self and them. I have never been overly cautious, but after spending the past o fixing a ( gun nervous) young dog after a short volley on an early quail hunt I doubt I take any future chances.

Jim

Petra

Post by Petra » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 am

the statement "at the preserve...BUT" It is a murphy's law, this was not a gun intro question, My question is why not? IF an owner does not have the experience and resources, the money spent with a trainer with experience with different breeds and can read dogs is worth every cent. Remember, to fix a fault creates a fault and to fix it is a lot of time, birds, money. I had to take my pup with me to hunt, even though I went to places that I rarely saw or heard another person, I knew with the pup in back that would be the time someone shot a grouse near my suv. So I took him (at 10 weeks )to someone with experience doing gun and bird intro, than I did not have to worry, and we had such a good time with at least eliminating that worry.

If that is not an option for you , there has to be other places that you can run your pup with out the gunfire worry. I have seen dogs stop, tuck their tails and run in the opposite direction from gunfire that I could barely hear, your pups hearing is much better than yours. Important enough to repeat, Gun shy dogs are tough to fix.