relationship between dog gas and their food?

natel24

relationship between dog gas and their food?

Post by natel24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Our two dogs have had horrible gas the past 2 months or so. I have not changed their dog food. It is to the point where i am considering switching their food. My question is, is the type of food you feed the biggest factor in the gas they have? We have been feeding diamond performance for about two years. Could they have changed their recipe which led to this? Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: relationship between dog gas and their food?

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:19 pm

"Is the type of food you feed the biggest factor in the gas?" quote OP

I don't think so always. Amount fed can = gas. Maybe you are feeding too much.

I believe "amount" affects humans too. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:41 pm

It rarely can be a lack of good bacteria in the gut but I agree with Sharon and find it often is nothing more than feeding too much while the dog isn't active enough to burn it all up.

It is possible that it could be a formula change but that would rarely happen. And when it does, the feed is normally checked out in feeding trials before it would be shipped looking for those kind of problems.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm

sometimes people forget about treats you may be giving to your pup . cookies and such can cause this also.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:It rarely can be a lack of good bacteria in the gut but I agree with Sharon and find it often is nothing more than feeding too much while the dog isn't active enough to burn it all up.

It is possible that it could be a formula change but that would rarely happen. And when it does, the feed is normally checked out in feeding trials before it would be shipped looking for those kind of problems.
How many manufactures do feeding trials?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:It rarely can be a lack of good bacteria in the gut but I agree with Sharon and find it often is nothing more than feeding too much while the dog isn't active enough to burn it all up.

How many manufactures do feeding trials?
I can't answer that. I know we had a dozen or more companies that helped pay for the operation of our facility and we did their test for them. I know other companies worked with Purina and also worked with different universities so I would assume many did test of some sort on anything that was major at least. And a lot of the good reliable companies shared some info.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 am

It could be a variety of things but there is corn in that food and when grains are not gelatinized properly the starches are not digestible and probably are fermenting in the lower GI, thus causing the gas.

Try another brand and see what happens.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 am

The simple answer is yes, Dogs can have more gas on some foods more than others. Monster has it right.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 pm

I can't believe I'm reading about dog farts.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 pm

rinker wrote:I can't believe I'm reading about dog farts.
Yep you are. Anyone who has dogs in the house or in the cab of the truck with them has had to deal with it.
My experience is the higher the protein and fat content in the food = more odoriferous pups.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:19 pm

rinker wrote:I can't believe I'm reading about dog farts.
In years past, during the reign of the full sized station wagon, I can assure you the subject of dog (and occasionally human) flatulence was quite a serious matter. Inside a closed car travelling sixty plus MPH down the road in forty degree(or colder) weather is no laughing matter when you are trying to drive while you are gagging and your eyes are tearing due to gas bombs .

Cranking down the windows(YES cranking) and letting in a blast of frigid, but fresh air was usually the only solution. Thank goodness for wing windows. Yeah, I'm that old. :lol: :lol:

RayG

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:10 pm

I frequently stop by my Grandmother's house with my dog. Grandma loves to give the dog treats, last time she bought beggin strips and fed Maddie most of a bag while I wasn't looking. The car smelled like rotten dog farts for days. I was considering torching it for the insurance money!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:51 pm

You guys let me know when you get this figured out because my wife wants to know what causes mine. :lol: :lol:

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 am

We had a Golden Retriever who had terrible gas, no matter what diet she was on. We tried many brands; even the sensitive stomach formulas didn't help. I had always suspected it was a carbohydrate digestion issue, so we started giving her one Beano at each meal and the problem was OVER. Worked for us, hope it works for you. You sure know when you miss a dose!