Raw liver to help promote a heat cycle??

SCT

Raw liver to help promote a heat cycle??

Post by SCT » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm

I once heard that some raw liver supplement is good for fertility in female dogs, like a month prior to them going into heat. Can anyone tell me if it also helps promote a heat cycle? I'm not interested in trying an "Ovuplant", just wondering if it helps with heat cycle?

Thanks,

Steve

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Raw liver to help promote a heat cycle??

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 am

I've never heard of that. I also never used any kind of supplement for a dog coming into season. i don't know if supplementing like that works or not or is even any good for the dog. I have always relied on the food I feed them along with snacks from what I eat. Well not always. There was a time my dogs got only dog food. Couple times a week I'd feed some canned food in with it,

I have this feeling about supplement's. They don't matter one whit so long as they do no harm. Company's that make supplements do it to make money. If it works or not doesn't matter so long as it does no harm! It's business. If I were you and though it might be good for the dog, probably liver will do no harm unless it's over fed.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:47 pm

If there was any truth to this my males would come into heat every winter! I feed a half raw diet and much of it consists of liver. Never have observed it affecting heat cycles.

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:09 pm

topher40 wrote:If there was any truth to this my males would come into heat every winter! I feed a half raw diet and much of it consists of liver. Never have observed it affecting heat cycles.
HaHa, wouldn't want that to happen. Thanks guys for your posts. I'm like you Don and rarely use anything because I buy the best foods I can find. I feed strictly dry dog food and all my dogs have great appetites so no need right? Oh, I do feed raw chicken or turkey necks occasionally for teeth cleaning. I'm sure a little piece of raw liver twice a week wouldn't hurt.

I'm just being impatient. My female had a litter 5 months ago and should've come into heat by now according to the "experts". But it was her first litter so she may just be off a bit.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:02 pm

My vet segust one a day vitamus about a mouth before time to help my female it did not bring her in any earler but helps with the bulding back her health

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:46 pm

Red raspberry leaf syrup from revival animal health is worth a shot.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:00 am

I have heard red raspberry leaf is good for uterine health while pregnant, don't know about help with heat cycle. Thanks though. I'll probably just use good ol' fashioned patience since there doesn't seem to be anything other than Ovuplant.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am

The quickest way to get them to come in for you at a certain time is to put them with another female - their cycles will often bring another dog in.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:26 pm

I just started one of my females on a product called Christopher's Female Reproductive Formula that a fellow breeder used with a formerly non productive female with success. She went from no litters to a small litter of 4.

It's an herbal concoctuan that has been used for years by women having difficulty getting pregnant. I guess we will see.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:32 pm

RoostersMom wrote:The quickest way to get them to come in for you at a certain time is to put them with another female - their cycles will often bring another dog in.
She's kenneled next to her sister and they did come in together last time;=)

AZ B Guy, My female had a litter 5 months ago, Just want to get her knocked up again. Hoping to keep a male this go around.

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:47 pm

The very best way to have a female come in is have her entered in a trial that you really want to go to! Or a great hunt with your buddies with all males!!!! Works every single time!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:26 pm

TAK wrote:The very best way to have a female come in is have her entered in a trial that you really want to go to! Or a great hunt with your buddies with all males!!!! Works every single time!
Yup, it's called "Murphy's Fertility Law". The more important the occasion it is, the better it works!! :twisted:

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Ha! No need, my girl Kate came into heat today. I guess I was a bit impatient! Going to test out a frozen semen breeding this time around.

Steve