Need Advice

33Scout

Need Advice

Post by 33Scout » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 pm

I have a 6yo Llewellin Setter that I would like to breed. He is an absolute awesome grouse hunter. I have had a few people who have recently asked me about getting a puppy from him. I have hunted him with a few other dogs that are grouse dogs and my dog looks light years ahead of them when it comes to grouse hunting. His drive is second to none and works wild birds like it is second nature. I guess my question is where do I start? How do I go about finding a female Llewellin from hunting background for my dog to breed with. He is a close to medium range dog and hunts extremely hard. I have his bloodline info and all the information on him. He was purchased from on point outfitters in PA. He is from Zeke and Lilly which the still breed for there business. If anyone could give me some advice on where to start it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mnaj_springer

Re: Need Advice

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Maybe start with his breeder? They may be able to help you make the contacts you want.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I have emailed them with no success.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:59 pm

I would suggest you start looking for a female to buy or lease that is the breeding you like if your breeder won't help. But even if they would you would still have just one puppy unless you buy the whole litter.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Ezzy333 thanks for the advice. I am hoping that something good will workout. I appreciate the advice from all.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:09 pm

you need to post your location & how far you are willing to travel . Also as ezz said do you wont one puppy or are you willing to buy the hole litter . It is no trouble to find a stud dog for a fair price, with great bloodlines , but finding a female & owner willing to let you breed his female & him take all the responcable is a lot harder

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 am

Moulders Farm wrote:you need to post your location & how far you are willing to travel . Also as ezz said do you wont one puppy or are you willing to buy the hole litter . It is no trouble to find a stud dog for a fair price, with great bloodlines , but finding a female & owner willing to let you breed his female & him take all the responcable is a lot harder
I am located in Watertown, NY. I am willing to travel a couple hours in any direction. I also just want one Male pup out of the litter. Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the advice..

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Agree with looking to lease or buy a female as though you are asking someone to breed their female and be stuck selling the rest of the pups you do not want or should something happen like needing a midnight c section the females owner is stuck with the vet bills.

You might want to look at the lines you have and just purchase a pup from someone that is breeding the same lineage

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:49 pm

How about a pup from the same dogs your pup is from, or a similar litter? The chances of getting one "just like him" are actually higher if you go back to the original line than if you breed him yourself. It's a ladies choice world out there, tons of nice stud dogs and owners of females can be very picky if they want to be. If they don't want to be, that makes me a little leery about the quality of the dog. If you like your dog, go back to that breeding and find one with like breeding. Then you only have to mess with one pup and not a whole litter.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:00 pm

I reckon you need to look at breeding before you think about breeding :wink:

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Better hurry up as he will be 8 yrs when a pup is old enough to breed

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:27 pm

RoostersMom wrote:How about a pup from the same dogs your pup is from, or a similar litter? The chances of getting one "just like him" are actually higher if you go back to the original line than if you breed him yourself. It's a ladies choice world out there, tons of nice stud dogs and owners of females can be very picky if they want to be. If they don't want to be, that makes me a little leery about the quality of the dog. If you like your dog, go back to that breeding and find one with like breeding. Then you only have to mess with one pup and not a whole litter.
The male dogs Pete is from is 12 now and doesn't breed and the female had some sort of issue and had to be spayed. I guess I am gonna have to find an alternative plan. I understand what you are saying about its a ladies world when it comes to this. Thanks for the advice.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 pm

What is your dogs lineage...post if you can a 5 generation maybe through that one can find what could be the closest to the qualities you are seeking.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the "6 year old recently acquired Llewelyn setter" you posted about a month ago?You just got this dog and now you want to breed to it? Is the breeder fine with it? Did they give you breeding rights and FDSB papers? Hard to believe they would include papers and not have him neutered. Sorry if this comes off snarky but Most breeders wouldn't sell or give a dog away with their name on it for someone to willy nilly breed around to what the new owner sees a "good" female.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:17 pm

33Scout -

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but your chances of getting someone to breed to your dog are Slim to None ...and Slim died a while back.

There are lots of really nice dogs out there. Unless someone has an abiding reason to breed to your dog...it just ain't gonna happen.

It is hard enough for well established kennels with great reputations to sell pups out of top breedings. Not only that, but there is absolutely no guarantee that his pups would be anywhere near as good as he is.

I know that is not at all what you wanted to hear...but these are the realities. You are probably better off looking for another, similarly bred dog.

RayG