Firearm deer season /Hunting with your dog ? NY ?

Max2

Firearm deer season /Hunting with your dog ? NY ?

Post by Max2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:19 am

How many will hunt birds during the firearm deer season in NY ? Am I crazy you think for trying this ? My deer season is over as of yesterday morning. I like chasing birds better then deer anyway. ( I do enjoy eating deer though & hunting them ) That being said I would love to get Max out while the weather is still good. Would you hunt ? Do you hunt ?

Stoneface

Re: Firearm deer season /Hunting with your dog ? NY ?

Post by Stoneface » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:14 am

I'm in Missouri, so a long way from New York, but I'll be out as often as I can this season. Woodcock season runs the month of November and rifle season opened yesterday. I ran into three deer hunters in the field yesterday. There were about eight pickups in the parking area that we broke away from. Just wear plenty of blaze and, if you can, dress your dog with a blaze vest.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Hunter's using rifle's can be quite dangerous. People have been for game animals. I'm quite sure a dog could be considered a coyote. No way would I take my dog's out during a rifle season. Now in this state there is one kind of rifle season or another going on most of the winter. But the place's you can hunt with a rifle dictate to me the area's I would turn my dog's loose in. The vast majority of rifle hunter's are certainly safe; they are not the one's that bother me

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:52 pm

I agree most firearm deer guy's are safe. My dog is 7 and I am hopping we don't have an issue. I have always said that I would never run my dog during the firearm deer season but as he gets older I want to give him as much time as I can to enjoy what is was he was bred to do. Max is in my prayers every night . I think I will just add a rider to the next couple prayers to please watch over him in the field this deer season.

mister2

Post by mister2 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Depends are you hunting state land or private? I would never run my dog during the deer season. Too many deer hunters out there, you're ruining their hunt, they're ruining yours, putting your dog at risk....to me it's not worth the headache.

Southern zone gun season just started! Maybe give it a couple weeks to wind down first. If you're gonna do it anyway, run him with a loud bell and super bright vest.

First thing in the morning on opening day I had a pack of 5 coyotes come by my stand, all were within 50yds, one was 15yds away. I thought for sure after that my chances for deer were ruined but still managed to get a deer anyway. If it was a slow moving hunter with his dog I probably would've been screwed.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 am

my reason for posting this question was to see if I was alone in my wanting to get max out as he is going to be 8.5 next hunting season and wanted to give him the best life I possibly could . I would use my head on choice of coverts. State land or private I do realize that you never fully know who could be in there hunting. When these cold temps break we will have to see. No weekend hunts for sure.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:13 am

My dogs stay in the lot until the deer hunters go home. Not worth the risk for me.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:58 am

i wouldnt think about taking my dog in the woods. i had him out every weekend for pheasant. and ill take him back out after gun closes

rich223

Post by rich223 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Myself I would wait for gun season to end. Besides I could not get down to the grouse woods if I wanted to all the major roads including the NY thruway from Rochester to Ripley are closed because of a blizzard. Wait a minute that means the deer hunters can’t get out maybe I should go! No I don’t think so 4 ft. of snow is more than I can handle.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Not a bad time to rest a dog and, oneself but I have hunted in Kansas and Iowa during deer season with no fears or issues but, in more congested, wooded ground and with very competitive and self-focused deer-swatting...probably better and safer activities afoot.
Plus, SS&S is extremely popular with gun and bow deer hunters.....here in Ohio, especially.
Not much trust there, from me.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:37 pm

In Oklahoma, the public land that allows deer gun hunting, upland hunters are not allowed for the first nine days of that season. We are relegated to land that doesn't allow deer gun hunting. Fine with me. It doesn't last that long. Keeps us from interfering with each other and safer.