Anybody ever redocked a tail?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Anyone ever redocked or known of someone who redocked a over long docked tail? I am talking as an adult or older pup with full sedation at the vet. I have two that are growing out much longer than I like. Just curious of options or experience on this.
Is this taboo or fine or thoughts?

Tooling

Re: Anybody ever redocked a tail?

Post by Tooling » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Seems like the tip would end up bald but maybe not???

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:33 pm

mountaindogs wrote:Anyone ever redocked or known of someone who redocked a over long docked tail? I am talking as an adult or older pup with full sedation at the vet. I have two that are growing out much longer than I like. Just curious of options or experience on this.
Is this taboo or fine or thoughts?
It depends how the dogs carry their tail or if it has a sickle to it. If point is below 10,or excessive sickle then having it docked shorter can be a solution.

I know a friend that did one of his females, then afterwards thought the vet did it too much. Now wishes he didn't do it. His pup's tail had a sickle to it. Wanted to lessen the appearance of the sickle in the tail.

Most likely tail will be bald on tip afterwards.

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm

All the time, and the tip shouldn't be bald. Actually less likely than when you do them at 3 days old. I typically have the owners mark on the tail where they want it cut off. We can look at breed standards on the registry websites but sometimes dock shorter for some other reason.

mrcreole

Post by mrcreole » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Had to do it once. On an adult the tail will have to be sutured so no bald spot.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:44 pm

My vet sutures the puppies when done at 3 or 4 days old,never had a bald one yet but seen some on other pups & dogs.Most only get one or two stitches but once in a while 3 or 4,just depends on the pups tail.
If they are still pups I wouldn't re dock them might be surprised as how they grow into them & I would rather have then TOO LONG then TOO SHORT but that's me.If you look at my avatar dog's tail it is a little longer then I like & when he was a pup I thought it was going to be sickyle WRONG as you can see.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 am

Redocking usually creates an emotional response from folks rather than a logical one. I've seen and know of many that have been redone, no issues and if done correctly no bald spot.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 am

Maybe one of the Vets on here can chime in. I was always told that the tail gets more connected to the nervous system when a dog gets older? I personally see no benefit for re-docking a tail unless its a show dog that is out of standard.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I have redocked one that was very long and sickled more than I care for. I had it done at 4 months or so. It was done under anesthesia and we had no complications. The hair grew back around it just fine. I don't feel my vet docked it where I wanted it though and it ended up too short, but still looked better than it did way too long. With no complaints about the procedure, I don't think I will redock one again.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:14 pm

with an older dog you have to make the cut between the bones of the tail. So, it may not be possible to cut it exactly where you want. But, yes it can be done with little to no problems.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Anybody else also notice that while the puppies grow the tail length to body ratio seem to fluctuate back and forth?

dog dr, would you say a tail vertebrae would be about an inch or so long in a GSP?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:30 am

mountaindogs wrote:
dog dr, would you say a tail vertebrae would be about an inch or so long in a GSP?

on average, yes, or maybe smaller. they get smaller as you move away from the body.