Now he is marking in the house!!

jfwhit

Now he is marking in the house!!

Post by jfwhit » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 pm

I have a 1 yr old Brittany. He was house trained. He has been in a kennel being trained the last 3 months. I bring him home and he is now marking in the house. Granted it has only been one evening. Is this something to use the collar on? I am going to watch him closely and catch him before and rush him outside. I'm wondering if this is something that is easily stopped or do I have a big problem on my hands? I also thought I would call the trainer for any advise.

Moulders Farm

Re: Now he is marking in the house!!

Post by Moulders Farm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Give him some time lots of bad habits are picked up away from home . put him back in to the crate as to retrain for house broken . he is a one year old & just coming into a full grown male who wonts to mark his area ,also he may be a little smarter than you think & is getting back at you for sending him away for so long at the trainers more than likly a little retraining & a littly love it will all work out

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 am

It has nothing to do with "picking up" bad habits or "getting back at you" for sending him to a trainer. It's all about a young male coming into sexual maurity in a place where no one cared when or where he marked. You need to let him know that it's not acceptable behavior. Keeping an eye on him will be dicey at best because he'll be quick and sneaky. You can keep him confined to his crate unless you are right there paying attention ( not watching TV or messing around on your device) or keep him on a tether which would be attached to you. If you are able, go with the first option of keeping on eye on him and catch him in the act then open The Gates of heck for him. After that, use one of the other options. If you don't inflict a negative response he won't understand why he's being confined.
Don't worry about rushing him outside to finish, because marking isn't a function of having to relieve himself, it's a territorial/sexual thing. Assuming of course that he's had ample opportunity to empty appropriately.
FWIW a product called KOE - Kennel Odor Eliminator - does a great job of removing urine odor. It's a bit pricey but well worth it.

Good luck with your pooch.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Excellent post.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:47 pm

Yup. Shags and Sharon have it right. You may have caught him early enough to 'reform' his behaviour if it didn't become too ingrained at the trainers. Good luck with your pup.