GSP puppy what food

Sundby

GSP puppy what food

Post by Sundby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Guys I will be getting my gsp pup in a few weeks, it will be around 9 weeks, I am curious on some opinions on what to start feeding him, I will ask the breeder what he has been feeding also,. I looked at the local Tractor supply and they have quite a variety, couple I seen , diamond, purina, eukanuba, iams, and many others, I've read good thing about purina, but all the brands have a bunch of varieties, purina has the sport, focus, performance, etc , do you like to start with puppy food? Just looking for a starting point and will change if needed. Thanks

bgcole

Re: GSP puppy what food

Post by bgcole » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Last time I brought home a pup (viz) my breeder was using Proplan so i just kept going with that. never had any issues with it. It wasnt formulated for puppies if my memory is correct - just normal PP performance for sporting dogs. if I wanted to switch, I would probably keep going with whatever the breeder is using for atleast a bag if it were me

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Congrats on the new pup. We feed Pro Plan Sport to pups and adaults

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice. I don't like to feed adult size kibble to puppies. I like around 27% protein and it is accessible to most buyers no matter where the puppies go. I feed my adult dogs Diamond Performance..............................Cj

M Petrillo

Post by M Petrillo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm

over the last 2 years I have raised 3 gsp puppies on pro plan performance 30/20 (all life stages)no issues for me...good luck with the new pup

GBranch830

Post by GBranch830 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

After I brought her home at 10 weeks she started eating 4Health performance. I fed her that until she was roughly a year old then switched to Momentum. Her coat remains pristine through all seasons.

Gooseman07

GSP puppy what food

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Just brought my pup home 5 weeks ago and he's on pp chicken and rice. It's what the breeder was feeding. He loves it. I plan to keep him on that until he's at least 6 mths old. It may be a hair sooner if I feel he doesn't have the energy and recover of my older dog when hunting season nears.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm currently using diamond naturals. i get it at tractor supply in a 40lb bag. i wanna say its $28. i like it. dog is looking good too.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:24 pm

So do you have any adult dogs at the house now? If you do and feed everyone together the adult dogs eat the puppy food and the pup's take the adult food! Never had Stormy on any puppy food. Got a plastic bag of the puppy food Craig was feeding and mixed it half and half with the adult food Squirt and Bodie get. When I did raise a few litter's, last century! I fed the pup's puppy food but had to run momma off or she would eat it all. Once they got out, they would go steal adult food. i finally gave up and just fed adult food.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Okay sounds good! Thanks for the help! I will go with the adult food, either the 26/16 or the 30/20 I I guess it all depends on what the dog does best with.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:12 pm

The breeder should give you a small bag of whatever they were feeding. If they do not...ask them to write down exactly what they were feeding the youngster. Buy a 20# bag of it from the breeder if they will sell it to you.

I would start off with whatever that was, at least for a couple of weeks until the pup gets acclimated at your home. The change of scenery will be upsetting enough for the pup, so let it settle in before you start changing up its feed.

I have always used a 30/20 ration. Most puppy feeds are 30/20 actually. By the time I go through that first bag of puppy feed, I switch the youngster over to what I am feeding the adult dogs, which is also 30/20. Never really had any issues. I have used a bunch of different feeds over the years but most all have been 30/20.

Pro Plan Performance is a GREAT food. Very uniform, very high quality control and you will get the same exact formula, week in, week out. If I had only one dog, I would feed that or The Royal Canin 30/20 performance feed. Iams high performance feeds have fish meal as a major source of protein. That in itself is great, but fish meal is such a concentrated protein source that they actually have to put in more fillers than some of the other major brands. More filler = more poop to scoop.

Many pro trainers use Pro Plan Performance. They could use anything they want because the client pays for it. The ones I know personally use it because it works. Their dogs win...a lot. Two trainers I know use Loyall performance feeds. Their dogs win also. I have not used Loyall myself, so I cannot comment further but it is a quality feed .

RayG

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks! very helpful, do the gsp need the 30/20 cause they will be burn alot of energy and fat? Rather than the 26/16? Just curious?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The Royal Canin 30/20 performance feed. Iams high performance feeds have fish meal as a major source of protein. That in itself is great, but fish meal is such a concentrated protein source that they actually have to put in more fillers than some of the other major brands. More filler = more poop to scoop.
Ray, I agree with all you say other than the bit I copied above and that is just not true. They do use the Fish Meal but it is not that much higher in protein and even if it was they do not use fillers and have no need to. For a matter of fact a filler is something you put in the feed to bulk it up but has no feed value and I don't think there is such an ingredient other than sand.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 pm

I have been feeding my now 6mo.old GSP PP puppy chicken and rice and she goobles it up 1 cup a meal 3 times a day and she is skinny but in constant motion...

Bluesky2012

GSP puppy what food

Post by Bluesky2012 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:06 am

They need 30/20 to prevent injury. Studies have shown high protein and fat filled dog food significantly prevents injuries from field work. I think the desired ratio is actually even higher but 30/20 is generally the best off the shelf. Don't short change the dog food and cause muscle, ligament, or joint issues because you wanted to save 7$ per month.

Also with it you won't need to feed as much as regular dog food and they poop less. Both a plus in my book.

Also I don't think a puppy can eat too much until they are probably 9 months old. Let it eat a lot. Better a fat young pup than too skinny. It will lean out later when you start actually working it.

magspa

Post by magspa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 am

Been using 4health 30/20 from tractor supply for awhile now after trying a few different feeds.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 am

Do not feed your puppy too much protein. Growing to fast may contribute to joint problems and ligament issues. Give them time to grow up. That is the reason Large breed puppy food is lower in protein. Overweight is also a issue in older puppies. Don't let them get too fat. I have fed many different brands of dog food and I always get plenty of poop .................................Cj

GSP_LAC

Post by GSP_LAC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:48 am

I fed my GSP Purina Pro Plan Performance for the first year. Recently made the switch to Dr. Tim's Pursuit. Really like it so far. Also nice that several online stores have free shipping and will deliver it straight to your door.
Last edited by GSP_LAC on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sundby

Post by Sundby » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:06 am

Where is the cheapest place online to buy?
Last edited by Sundby on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GSP_LAC

Post by GSP_LAC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 am

They all run different specials so it depends on when and what exactly you're buying. Check out petflow.com or chewy.com. I have automatic delivery set up, so I entered the order once with the frequency that I needed the food and now I have a new bag waiting for me on my porch a few days before I run out of the last one. Pretty convenient.

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Dr. Tim's

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Sundby wrote:Where is the cheapest place online to buy?
I found Purina Proplan Sport 30/20 cheapest at Chewy.com

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 pm

I will add my two cents to the mix.

Whatever you feed and especially if your going to be feeding a 30/20 ratio, be careful of overfeeding. Two problems will result.

1- soft mushy stools
2- pup becomes plump and they grow too fast.

Better to keep him a little on the thin side to prevent the possibility of joint health issues later on.