Nipping at the kids

Big bloc

Nipping at the kids

Post by Big bloc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:28 am

I notice my 2 1/2 EP female started to nip at my Grandson that is 8 years old. There was no growling and no aggression of any signs. She got him on the leg no blood but you could see where it was. I was 2 ft away when and got on her in a second. Just wonder what others do in the type of situation? He was not even messing with her he was walking behind me. Just want to here some thoughts, This is the first time I have seen this in her.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Nipping at the kids

Post by shags » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 am

Not enough info regarding the incident...is your dog generally a little standoffish, guarded, or skittish? Does the little boy have a high energy or otherwise unusual vibe?

That's happened once at our house and resulted in a "Dog, meet Jesus" episode just so the offender knows any kind of event approaching dog teeth on people skin is not acceptable.

That being said, my dogs are not used to having kids around. The kids that come here are used to dogs they grew up with that are very tolerant. That kind of clash in cultures can be a disaster, so it's simply easier to put the dogs up when the kids are around. If the kids were here more often we'd definitely do some interaction type training between them and the dogs.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Play nipping children, while still unacceptable, is a lot different than biting a child. Your dog is still on the edge of being a puppy at 2 1/2, and may not be used to children. Dogs love a playmate that's at their level. Not knowing the entire situation my reaction would have been a swift butt whipping followed by a stern scolding.

Once when I was a kid we had an old farm mutt that bit a friend, got him pretty good. My dad's reaction involved a shotgun and a skid loader. He always said their should be no tolerance for a biting dog.

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:03 pm

You MUST instruct your grandchildren to be aware of the dog and to command the dog NO if it approaches.

My ACD will always pick out the smallest, weakest or dumbest and grab an ankle.

I instructed my 5 year old grandson (the smallest) to be aware and command the dog NO if it came close. He only had to do it once. So the dog started picking on his Mom (dumbest) The grandson then instructed his Mom.

Please note the dog might just want attention even if it was simply a NO. Read between the lines; the grandson had more attention than the dog. No one was giving attention to the dog. Even a; "let's go", to the dog, from you might have avoided the unwanted contact.

I wasn't there to observe. I hope you get the general idea.

Best wishes

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 pm

I have a three and a half year old lab, and while he has never put his teeth on someone he does get awfully rough with kids. I think it has something to do with their size, he thinks they are his play mates. All it usually takes is a quick " no" and he will leave them alone. Unless they are little turds, then I let him drag them around the house for a while.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 pm

I wouldn't over react but I'd have an eye on it. 2 1/2 is often when changes in a dog's behaviour in the field and the home appear.

"Grandson was walking beside you." Could be jealousy showing . Keep an eye on it.

At 8 it would be great if the grandson could tell the dog off .Timing of course is everything.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Unacceptable behavior on the dogs part to ever think it can nip at a human even the obnoxious little versions.

Not knowing the full scope of Why the dog nipped as in all the little things that lead to the dog reacting like it did ...Everything by how the kid looked at the dog and approached the dog and the dog thinking the child may have been intimidating to if the child took a toy or got near a toy or something was some food ..Bottom line what ever the acts were that lead to it the dog should never think it is ok to use it mouth on a human PERIOD.

So for the childs safety I would Not allow the dog near the child as what if next time it is a nip to the childs face I would then place blame on the person owning the dog for not putting the dog in a crate or kennel while children are around. As the dog has already shown it will nip ...
No excuses about age Excuses can land the child in the hospital and everyone then wants to blame the dog

Protect the child and put the dog where it is safe from the child and the Child is safe from the dog.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Agree totally with above. I'd also add that if you think it is a resource guarding issue (dog is guarding you or an object), then one of the most effective ways to eliminate that is to use the NILIF program - Nothing In Life Is Free. It works wonders on dogs! :)

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:24 am

I think Sharon nail it. She did get a butt whipped and a harsh scolding. Yes my Grandson follows me around I guess she thinks he is taking her spot. She seams to be fine and have kept the kids at a safe distance. I did notice I was walking her around the outside of the house and my 7 year old granddaughter come around from the other way running and they met at the corner about 10ft from each other she stop looked turned her head and went about her way not even caring. I think I got my point across . It will never happen again

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Unacceptable behavior on the dogs part to ever think it can nip at a human even the obnoxious little versions.

Not knowing the full scope of Why the dog nipped as in all the little things that lead to the dog reacting like it did ...Everything by how the kid looked at the dog and approached the dog and the dog thinking the child may have been intimidating to if the child took a toy or got near a toy or something was some food ..Bottom line what ever the acts were that lead to it the dog should never think it is ok to use it mouth on a human PERIOD.

So for the childs safety I would Not allow the dog near the child as what if next time it is a nip to the childs face I would then place blame on the person owning the dog for not putting the dog in a crate or kennel while children are around. As the dog has already shown it will nip ...
No excuses about age Excuses can land the child in the hospital and everyone then wants to blame the dog

Protect the child and put the dog where it is safe from the child and the Child is safe from the dog.
Another great post by K-9. Listen to it and heed it. There is No excuse for a dog biting a child.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 am

Okay it has been 1 year almost to the date. Went to see the grand kids and there was no problem this time. Even my 3 year old granddaughter was petting her. I think at the time it happen she was trying to show that she was going to be the boss. I am glad its over