gsp's

greg jacobs

gsp's

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 pm

My last 3 and current shorthair have been FT bred. None having a real love of the water or a real natural retrieve but lots of ground speed and style. While researching for a new pup I've been considering a VC bred pup but don't know if they have enough ground speed and range for what I do. Foot hunt for quail Pheasant hun chuckar and do some nstra in the off season. Would like to start doing some testing. I've been to dk testing and see slow moving close working dogs $2000 pups. Not at all what I want. I see several of the navhda breeders have out crossed with FT blood. I would guess to add speed and style. I just have no first hand knowledge of the navhda dogs and would like everyone's opinion on them. I know I need to go watch a navhda testing day and see for myself what they are like which I plan on doing soon. They are 150 and 200 miles away and I just haven't made it to one yet.
Thanks
Greg Jacobs

Ms. Cage

Re: gsp's

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm

Greg, yes , some of us have been crossing to Ft stock. The last cross I did was to VC FC AFC Thunderheads Hot Pursuit MH . Though the pups are only 3 1/2 months they are showing a ton of Natural Ability.
pups are pointing with extreme style, retrieving with lots of hussel, running to beat the ban yet very cooperative. My own pup has been swimming like a musktrat from the time Tug first hit the water. Now Tug goes swimming on his own cause he likes the water soooo much. I DO NOT have any pups available and will not until the fall of 2015. I already have 4 of these pups sold. pups are pointing they and allow you to walk in front and flush the bird . One of the females I help train is standing steady to wing and shot already. Jades been this way from the time she was put on birds. I would contact Thunderheads gsp in WI and see if anything is available from Chase. Here's a pic of tug working a pigeon from a Higgins releaser. The pigeon waked out of cover into the open and tug has no problem holding point until I put the bird in the air . I can walk the bird and walk the bird and Tug holds high , tight and solid .
087 (800x742).jpg
Tugs pedigree
Tug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Here you go F Trial Bred as are all my dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Nice pictures Ted... :D

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:24 pm

FC & natural retriever,my avatar dog Storm only needs his retrieving points to finish FC also natural retriever.I have never had to FF any of my dogs yet or teach them to like water.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:35 pm

I've had a number of shorthairs in the past and all were natural retriever's. they all liked water too. I've never had an easier breed to bring around. I don't know if he's still in Selah or not but Clay Brown had some really nice trial type dogs. You might want to contact him if he's still there.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Here is a 7 mo old female pup out of FC Star,I think she likes water & retrieving.

http://youtu.be/0fY77aiWVZw

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:08 pm

I would look at Friedelsheims GSPs, Sundance and Stillwater Gsps has a outstanding litter on the ground now. All 3 have been highly succesfull in NAHVDA and compete and done well in the FT world.

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Check out Thunderhead out of Wisconsin as well!

reba

Post by reba » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:09 am

Look up No-Mars Kennel in Caldwell, ID
Last edited by reba on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:29 am

Get out and see some dogs, you may or may not be surprised. But, don't fall into all "navhda" dogs are slow etc.

Here is my FC/AFC. Check out his pedigree.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1522