Ivomec questions

chrisss

Ivomec questions

Post by chrisss » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:45 am

Whats the correct dosage? I read somewhere and it said .10 per 10lbs? Talked to the vet and she was no help and that otc wasn't as good.

art hubbard

Re: Ivomec questions

Post by art hubbard » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 am

.10 for every 10 lbs. is correct. 50 lb. dog 1/2 cc. Just squirt it into their mouths with the syring minus the needle of course. Use the cattle solution.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:22 am

But also .10 of a cc per 20lbs is also plenty. There are threads on here to search with the math.

This is a good link to understand dose.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

birddog1968 wrote:But also .10 of a cc per 20lbs is also plenty. There are threads on here to search with the math.

This is a good link to understand dose.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/ivomec.html
Is ivomec when purchased new considered undiluted?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am

Yes the 1 percent cattle injectable is considered undiluted ad it relates to the link I gave.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:38 am

I use .10 cc for every 10 lbs and have had excellent results.
I like to take 1/2 piece of regular light bread, squirt on the ivomec and then add a small amount of canned dog food to make a small sandwich. The dogs love the sandwiches.
You do not have to do this but my dogs never liked the taste of the Ivomec when squirted straight into their mouths. You can also give with a syringe if you prefer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote:I use .10 cc for every 10 lbs and have had excellent results.
I like to take 1/2 piece of regular light bread, squirt on the ivomec and then add a small amount of canned dog food to make a small sandwich. The dogs love the sandwiches.
You do not have to do this but my dogs never liked the taste of the Ivomec when squirted straight into their mouths. You can also give with a syringe if you prefer.
You can also give with a syringe if you prefer.
Explain this better if you would. Don't want someone getting the wrong info.

Ezzy

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Ezzy,He has it explained that he himself uses the dog food sammich method to dose his dogs, at the end he confirms the other posters way of squirting it in their mouth via a needless syringe as an alternative to the doggie sammich. One dose and one dose only on that stuff,its hard on the livers,an incorrect dose can really throw a rotten apple in the cart.
ezzy333 wrote:
Carolina Gundogs wrote:I use .10 cc for every 10 lbs and have had excellent results.

Ezzy

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Here's the deal.

For heartworm prevention, all that is necessary is 2.72 micrograms(yes I wrote MICRO grams) of Ivermectin per pound of dog. That is a very tiny dose. One milligram is 1000 micrograms. That dosage level is safe for ALL dogs.

The dose of 0.1 ml of 1% cattle ivomec per 10 lb.pf dog is MANY times this dose. However, for all dogs that are not sensitive to Ivomec(such as collies, etc) the dose is quite safe and also serves to keep down microscopic bugs like mage mites and such.

I have used the 0.1ml of the 1% cattle Ivomec for many years with no problems at all. I put the dose on a piece of white bread and the dogs snarf it up.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 pm

That sounds to me like he is saying you can inject it and that is not what we want to do. Not saying that is what he meant but it is what he posted

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:53 pm

I don't have a personal problem dosing at 5+ times the level of a heart guard but .10 or 1/10th of a cc per 10lbs is more than 15 times the dose.... Even tho a lot if people use that amount safely it seems....I see no need, again personally, to dose 15x more than is needed. 1/10th cc per 20lbs is 7.5x which seems much better to me, and works just the same.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:07 pm

For mange/demidex, it (1% injectable via mouth) is prescribed at .10 ml per 10lbs or more. That dose, for that treatment (mange/Demidex) is usually for several weeks on up to several months. One thing is for sure, treat your dog at that dose and you won't have to worry about parasites;-).

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Do you guys give it to your dogs the same time you do the ringworm treatments? Im planning if I could give it all at one time so its easier

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:32 pm

ringworm?

ivermec is given monthly for heartworm prevemtion.....Chris you should probably read about heartworm prevention so you understand how the medication controls
heartworm....basically it kills the young worms.

SCT we had to treat a dog for mange, the dose was 1cc for a month, thats 10,000 micrograms a day. But i can tell you that dog was not happy or feeling well from
that dose and was eventually put down with a seriously compromised immune system, which is why her body would not control the mange in the first place.

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 am

birddog1968 wrote:ringworm?

ivermec is given monthly for heartworm prevemtion.....Chris you should probably read about heartworm prevention so you understand how the medication controls
heartworm....basically it kills the young worms.

SCT we had to treat a dog for mange, the dose was 1cc for a month, thats 10,000 micrograms a day. But i can tell you that dog was not happy or feeling well from
that dose and was eventually put down with a seriously compromised immune system, which is why her body would not control the mange in the first place.
Sorry I was talking about dewormers with ivomec at the same time. I am wondering if its ok to give both preventative one after another.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 am

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Ezzy, I will try.
I do this ONLY once per month as a preventative to Heart Worms. It has worked great for me. I also know people that inject the monthly dosage inside of a piece of hotdog and give their dogs.
I have seen/know people that will take an oral syringe and squirt the monthly dosage straight into their mouths. However, I have always had a concern if this method hurt the dogs stomach in anyway. I have recognized that my dogs strongly dislike the taste of Ivomec if given in this manner.
I have also administered the Ivomec in years past by injecting the monthly dosage with a syringe (with a needle) just under the skin level. However, most dogs feel a discomfort for brief period after administering this way.
Do you see any other areas I might could explain further?

SubMariner

Re:

Post by SubMariner » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:19 am

chrisss wrote:Do you guys give it to your dogs the same time you do the ringworm treatments? Im planning if I could give it all at one time so its easier
You can treat ringworm by using a topical like lamisil, lotramin, or tinactin -- or their generic equivalents. I have also successfully used generic Miconazole on my dogs.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 am

Yes you can also do a regular worming anytime if you think you need to....I really only worm mine once a year for round and hook worms...and only for tapes if I see them.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:03 pm

chrisss wrote:Whats the correct dosage? I read somewhere and it said .10 per 10lbs? Talked to the vet and she was no help and that otc wasn't as good.
If you only have one or even a couple of dogs, the apple flavored paste by Durvet is more convenient. That brand is metered in 25 "clicks", the dosage of each click is about the same as given 1/10th CC per 10lbs. 25 doses costs $4.99.

If you go the route of liquid, make sure you buy a 1 CC syringe so its easier to measure.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:48 pm

"SCT we had to treat a dog for mange, the dose was 1cc for a month, thats 10,000 micrograms a day. But i can tell you that dog was not happy or feeling well from
that dose and was eventually put down with a seriously compromised immune system, which is why her body would not control the mange in the first place."

That dose seems a bit high unless the dog was over 60 lbs. But, yeah, mange is often cured if it is just in the puppy stage, but adult dogs can really struggle with it. Almost always caused by an immune system deficiency.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Yes it was high...the writing was on the wall for that poor dog. We tried everything....she was miserable, her whole back was raw, so we finally decided to ease her suffering. Direct daughter of Sugarknoll Buckshot too...