Stud service help

Svu0312

Stud service help

Post by Svu0312 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:15 pm

I have a yellow male lab that is just over 3 years old. I want to breed him and charge a stud fee to some breeders in my area. I have never done this and wanted to see if there are any things I should know or look for in the female labs he could possibly breed with. My lab has a senior title and all his health clearances and didn't know if there Is there any paperwork on my end or is it more a hand shake agreement. Any info or advice would be helpful.

Hattrick

Re: Stud service help

Post by Hattrick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:29 am

In most all cases female owners search out approved studs. You just don't decide that you want to have a stud dog. In order for him to be desirable he needs to have accomplished something special usually in testing venues / hunting and have a pedigree to back it up and even then its hard to get breedings. Basically he needs to promote himself in some special way. Its a ton of standing studs.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

First of all, congratulations on getting the Senior Hunt Test title and all of the health clearances. I wish all potential breeders would put that much effort into their dogs. However, Hattrick is right; your going to have rely on selling your dog's proven skills and pedigree to the owners of the females. This can be a tough sell, especially if there are a lot of dogs in your area with similar or even better/more proven skills. There are advertising venues you can take; just don't hold your breath waiting for them to pan out.

More to your question: anything on paper is better than a "hand shake agreement." If you really think the dog is going to be sought after as a stud, then having a contract ready to use is a good idea. Sorry I don't have an example of one. You might try using the search function on this forum to find a contract you like.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

The bitch is usually brought to the dog's owner to be bred, so you want a contract that covers your butt, should anything happen to the bitch while in your care. You should spell out how the bitch will be kept, what you expect of her owner. Do you plan to require a recent brucellosis test? Any health clearances of the bitch? Shots up to date prior to showing up to be bred? If so, which ones (be specific)? Should the bitch owner bring food & meds or will you provide? Are you charging a boarding fee while the bitch is with you? What would you charge to pick up and return to the airport? Should the bitch need medical care while in your care, how will that be handled and paid for? The contracts I've seen guarantee a set number of breedings to be done at regular intervals (the first breeding and a second 2 days later, or 3 breedings across 5 days...be specific), as long as the bitch is receptive. Most also guarantee the live birth of puppies and offer a repeat breeding, should the breeding fail the first time. They are also quite clear on stud fee...you pay this, and this is what you get.

Lots to think about.