Random Thoughts

ChetB

Random Thoughts

Post by ChetB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 pm

During the spring and summer months my wife has bird feeders in our yard. Should I correct my GSP for having interest in and having fun with tweetie birds, hummingbirds and butterflies?

My dog barks when my neighbor puts his dogs out.

My dog sometimes digs in the yard after I apply Scott's Turf Builder. She rolled in it on time, too.

My GSP gets excited when my 13 year old grandson laughs and carries on. She retrieved to his hand the first Pheasant he shot back in October. Is there a connection?

Is it too late to train Miranda to stop jumping up on my recliner every time I get up to go to the 'fridge for a beer? She's 5 1/2.

Miranda still sometimes behaves with puppy enthusiasm if I wake up before sunrise, brew coffee and put on my boots and flannel shirt ... even if it's deer season or no season at all.

The snow in my yard is deeper than my stepdaughter's rat terrier is tall. How can I keep that little thing from doing its business on the back porch?

Sorry, folks. Cabin fever is setting in.

JKP

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by JKP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm

During the spring and summer months my wife has bird feeders in our yard. Should I correct my GSP for having interest in and having fun with tweetie birds, hummingbirds and butterflies?[/quot]

Dog's is bored...take it hunting more often.
You dog wants to go out.
My dog sometimes digs in the yard after I apply Scott's Turf Builder. She rolled in it on time, too.
That's wasn't Turf Builder she was rolling in...it was a dead turtle...check again.
My GSP gets excited when my 13 year old grandson laughs and carries on. She retrieved to his hand the first Pheasant he shot back in October. Is there a connection?
No...but if the dog is retrieving to your grandson and not to you, you need to find out why the dog is avoiding you :wink:
Is it too late to train Miranda to stop jumping up on my recliner every time I get up to go to the 'fridge for a beer? She's 5 1/2.
Take her to the fridge with you.
Miranda still sometimes behaves with puppy enthusiasm if I wake up before sunrise, brew coffee and put on my boots and flannel shirt ... even if it's deer season or no season at all.
Sounds like a normal dog to me...."Good dog!!"
The snow in my yard is deeper than my stepdaughter's rat terrier is tall. How can I keep that little thing from doing its business on the back porch?
Don't feed it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:09 pm

ChetB wrote:During the spring and summer months my wife has bird feeders in our yard. Should I correct my GSP for having interest in and having fun with tweetie birds, hummingbirds and butterflies?

Sorry, folks. Cabin fever is setting in.

LOL Seriously though letting a dog eat bird seed - piles of corn fallen on the ground - can lead to intestinal blockage my vet tells me. She has her feeders fenced.

I'll add one to your list: How do you keep pup from carrying in frozen dog shti to save for later when it's thawed? :roll:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 pm

"Is it too late to train Miranda to stop jumping up on my recliner every time I get up to go to the 'fridge for a beer? She's 5 1/2."

You didn't train her to fetch the beer for you??? :o :o :o

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:38 pm

While a great training tool, the winger can also be used to launch that varmint about 30 yards from the house, keeping those rat dropping off the porch.

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm

To me that is the stuff that makes a dog fun for having around. I love all my pups quirky stuff, well most of the time. Except for the poop on the porch that might be annoying. When I clear the driveway and deck of snow I will usually clear a patch of grass also. Funny stuff though. I love bird dogs, is it hunting season yet?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:04 am

How do you keep pup from carrying in frozen dog shti to save for later when it's thawed?
Use the "Drop" command, if dog dont know it, teach him :) Mine favors cat poop :( then burps in my face which is gross.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 am

Well I did't read one thing about your dog that would bother me. Carrying in frozen dog turds? get a horse and the dog can bring in road apples! Or get a cow and the dog can roll in some very endearing stuff! Geeze man, let your dog be a dog.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:09 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention my dog has a sense of humor ... like that one time she locked herself in my wife's car holding the key ring in her mouth.