male or female questions plus

minigooch

male or female questions plus

Post by minigooch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello all. While searching for a breeder and pup I got a lot of "advice" about whether I should get a male or female . Some say one is easier to train, one is more aloof ect. ect. I wonder if I can get some of you guys and ladies experiences especially breeders and trainers. Also whether or not you would spay or neuter and what each would do to a dog. (other than the obvious ). I had a GSP breeder picked out and deposit sent but not looking like it going to pan out. No problems other than not enough of males compared to deposits and the kids are going to be more than a little disappointed. It looks like I may have to start my search over and wondering if I should consider a female as well .I would be hunting mostly Northern New England which is thick so a closer working dog would be helpful. I'll be hunting Partridge( some strange people call them Grouse) woodcock, and stocked pheasant an quail. Sorry long winded. Thanks in advance

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: male or female questions plus

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=45337&p=419482&hil ... er#p419482+

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=45116&p=418328&hil ... er#p418328

Several excellent GSP breeders on here. See "Dogs for Sale" section.

Consider a setter too.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 pm

In my experience, females mature a little faster and seem to be a little easier to train.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Not much difference. except males mark. either way if you don't plan to breed spay at about 18 months it just save a lot of issues...........Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:12 pm

I dont think it really matters. Males are bigger and stronger usally. as far as taking longer to mature thats a myth it really depends on the breeding lines. If i had a male and my intention was not to breed i still would not nuteur him a female i might. I have 2 females and a male. My male was the easiest to train Vc / MH by 1 yr 10 months old, his mother was easy to. The biggest thing is you need set the tone early and the dog needs to trust you and no your the boss. I think you will be vary happy with male or female. Some of the bedt bird dogs ive seen have been females. The best thing you could do is join a local NAVHDA Chapter its fun an a great place to learn how to handle a gundog. Good luck

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Any particular reason you would not neuter a male if you were not going to breed ? Does the testosterone keep the male more active? When you say "set the tone early "I assume you mean a pecking order standpoint . As far as getting a dog to trust you I'm not sure I understand. I have joined NAVHDA and watched the DVD with the book, read The Delmar Smith Method and just picked up perfect start perfect finish now..... I NEED A DOG !