Traveling home with new pup

minigooch

Traveling home with new pup

Post by minigooch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 am

Hello All. I will be picking up my first gundog puppy in a few weeks. The ride home is about 8 hrs (non-stop). What would you suggest I bring and how often should I be stopping ? Any suggestions and tips are all appreciated ! I'm not sure who's more excited me or the kids. Thanks.

CDN_Cocker

Re: Traveling home with new pup

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:10 am

I did the same, I traveled from Ontario to Ohio to get my dog. 9 hours in the car and he did fine. He slept on a blanket on my girlfriend's lap on the way back. We stopped every time he started to whine and get antsy (which was about every hour or so) so he could pee. No problems at all, just a little longer return trip.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 am

Bring supplies to clean up vomit. Better safe than sorry. My first pup was 3 1/2 hours away and he threw up at EVERY SINGLE toll booth (this was before high speed EZPass). Poor little guy. The 2nd pup was 90 minutes away, and he lost it at about an hour.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:48 am

My last pup was 7 hours. The longest. Stopped twice for a pee break. Have to think for the pup is my opinion bathroom wise.
Even though it didn't happen to me.
Be prepared like Karen said for vomit. Always a possibility.
Not really much you need besides that and a lap for him to sleep on. I brought a small crate on that trip because it was so long. Got used for ten minutes. Lol

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 am

Do not stop at interstate pet rest areas----your pup will not have full resistance against parvo, lepto, etc. yet.---every sick dog traveling across the nation stop at these areas :( . Have your pup pee in areas that normally aren't used for dogs. Good luck with the new pup :D

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:06 pm

deseeker wrote:Do not stop at interstate pet rest areas----your pup will not have full resistance against parvo, lepto, etc. yet.---every sick dog traveling across the nation stop at these areas :( . Have your pup pee in areas that normally aren't used for dogs. Good luck with the new pup :D
Good advice.
I just stop along the road.

mask

Post by mask » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Do not feed the pup within 12 hours of departure.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:37 pm

I had to laugh at one of my puppy customers when he and his daughter pulled up in some kind of Hatch back to pick up their pup. He had a small "cat kennel" for the pup but, he had a 3'X3' piece of grass sod laying on a black trash can liner in the rear area. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a great idea...for what its worth.

minigooch

Post by minigooch » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks for the"tips". I just ordered my "fast pass" for the tolls. I don't think I'll try the piece of sod ... thats not to say I didn't think about it. Ill post a couple pics when the time comes.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Good places to stop do not include fast food stops, rest stops, or anything resembling a pull out area. Try off the beaten path at church parking lots or ball fields. Anything where you won't see other dogs. That's my number one deal when traveling - finding places that other people don't use for potty spots. Way too much that could compromise a little ones' immune system.